Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #16
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think it all depends on your financial state. If you have the money to burn, why not buy now. There will always be something new/better/shinier on the horizon. If your financial state is in a bit worse situation, I'd say wait till it improves.
Given that a lot of the new hardware is due out within the next few months it seems like now would be a fairly bad time to buy even if you do have money to burn, it is all very well saying that there is always something new on the horizon, but the next round of upgraded hardware is going to be 6+ months away.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #17
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'm waiting here. . .

With a smart phone and my prs350, I have most of the things I NEED when I'm out and about locally (which is most of my life). The few things I'd like to have just aren't important enough to sacrifice the portability over and they are more travel oriented for me, than 'living life' oriented anyway. And since I HAVE to travel with a work capable laptop, I don't see that I'd get much added value out of the current tablet devices and it's one more thing to carry and fuss over.

Yes, I'd like a more comfortable screen size, but not at the cost of portabilty. I think I'd like to see a real phone built in; the decrease in portability would be offset in my mind by not having to carry a phone.

So I'm thinking there is no rush for me; I'm willing to wait a few more cycles and see how these things develop. I will say though, I am more inclined towards an Android device than I am an Apple device. I am inherently suspicious of being locked into a single hardware/software provider
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #18
bearmann
bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
The only interesting tablet right now (IMHO) is the Eee Slate, but it'll set you back around 1100USD ... but such a nice device.

Next best thing for me would be E-Ink's and Qualcomm's "color eReader" (regardless the different technologies). But I fear that it'll be almost 2012 until the first consumer devices show up... *meh*

regards.
bearmann
bearmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #19
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHunter_Author View Post
I'm going to wait for the original iPad to go second generation. If the price is at $250 or below, it will be too good a deal to pass up. A camera on a tablet? Geez...
It's very unlikely to have that price tag. But I think probably $350-400 for the 16 wifi only might be possible. Got my 32 wifi only on sale at Christmas time for $450. It was a deal I figured would not last. It didn't. (Just why does Apple think it needs a camera? Other than for using a skype type app, I would find it not useful.)
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I'm going to wait for the original iPad to go second generation. If the price is at $250 or below, it will be too good a deal to pass up. A camera on a tablet? Geez...
That camera is for video calling. You have never used Skype with the webcam on?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I haven't; though I might use the facetime feature on my iTouch if I'm on vacation, but it's highly doubtful I'd do so.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I haven't; though I might use the facetime feature on my iTouch if I'm on vacation, but it's highly doubtful I'd do so.
I chat regularly with my mother using the webcam (a lot cheaper than calling and don't even think about going there, unless I take a whole week off from work )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #23
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
webOS device announcement from HP/Palm is today at 10am Pacific Time so at least wait until after today

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/r...t-is-tomorrow/

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 02-09-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I chat regularly with my mother using the webcam (a lot cheaper than calling and don't even think about going there, unless I take a whole week off from work )
I've done that with friends in the past with my desktop. Couldn't imagine a situation where I'd want to do that from a tablet.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm really happy with my Galaxy Tab (no contract). It's significantly faster than the less expensive Android tablets and already has the Google Android Market. I'm actually doing all my reading on it with Aldiko. Battery life is very good if you use Green Power, as good as the iPad but nowhere in the range of the Kindle.

There's always newer tech just around the corner.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #26
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
A camera on a tablet? Geez...
A lot of apps are using the camera to store information on the device. Some examples are Google goggles , scan to docs, language translation software, and augmented reality. These technology use the camera to transfer physical data to digital and start using it in real time.

I use to rarely use my camera on my phone, now I'm using the camera for price comparison, research, receipts, abcd OCR my notes to name a few usages.

Once you get away from thinking of camera in the traditional sense they become essential.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #27
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

there is even a iOS app to use the camera for measuring something. It's sorta interesting.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
A lot of apps are using the camera to store information on the device. Some examples are Google goggles , scan to docs, language translation software, and augmented reality. These technology use the camera to transfer physical data to digital and start using it in real time.

I use to rarely use my camera on my phone, now I'm using the camera for price comparison, research, receipts, abcd OCR my notes to name a few usages.

Once you get away from thinking of camera in the traditional sense they become essential.

=X=
Makes sense on a pocket-sized smartphone or iTouch, but not on a bulky tablet. There's no way I'm going to walk into Target and start scanning barcodes with a tablet.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
webOS device announcement from HP/Palm is today at 10am Pacific Time so at least wait until after today

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/r...t-is-tomorrow/
I read something last night that Dell is adding a couple larger devices to their slate line-up as well. I believe the largest is a 10". All of their devices were said to be offered in Win7 as well as Android versions.

I hope HP does about the same thing and does not neglect the portion of us who truly need a Win7 device or at minimum a slate device which can interact with Win7 apps. And I mean more than just sync of calendars and email. But data from real programs that lend themselves to increased productivity when ported over to a slate form factor.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 AM   #30
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Ok...now that you mention it, Skype would be a good enough reason....
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote