Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Lost Plugboard Data when importing into antoher library

I've been working with 2 Calibre Libraries. My main library with all my books and a separate test library on a separate drive that I was using to learn plugboards.

After I finished my test, I opened my main library and used "add books from directories including sub-directories (multiple books per directory, assumes every ebook file is a different book) to import the books from the test into the main library.

It appears nothing happened. The books in the main library do not contain the new plugboard series data and there is no additional copy of the book with the plugboard series data.

What did I do wrong?

Unfortunately, I deleted the books from the test library before I realized the import didn't work. I can get them back again because I transferred the books to my Kindle and my Sony with the plugboard series data.

BTW, I learned that the plugboard templates are library specific and not Calibre installation specific (maybe that's what I did wrong, since the plugboard templates did not exist for the main library)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
From your description, it sounds as if you imported the books from your test library by aiming calibre's 'add books' at the test library. Plugboards play a role during save-to-disk and send-to-device, but don't touch the books or metadata in a library. As such, they would have no effect in this scenario as I understand it.

If you saved-to-disk then imported the resulting folder structure, then I would expect to see the plugboard-modified metadata in the books, assuming that you used 'save to disk' as the plugboard target. Note that an OPF created by save-to-disk will contain the information from calibre's library, not information modified by plugboards. However, this cannot be your problem, because you used 'multiple books per directory', and that mode ignores OPFs.

If you want to change metadata in your library using something with the power/expressiveness of plugboards, then use search/replace. You can create custom columns that match the plugboard values, then use S/R to assign them to the desired fields. As of 0.7.35, you can enter the template directly into the S/R dialog.

And yes, plugboards are library specific, because they (can) depend on custom columns that exist only in that library. However, I don't see how this affects anything in the scenario.

Perhaps you can supply a bit more detail about what you did, what happened, and what you expected to happen?

Last edited by chaley; 12-24-2010 at 12:24 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to copy plugboard data, the only way to do it automatically is to click the calibre icon on the toolbar and select create new library making sure that copy library structure is checked. Then your new library will have the same plugboards as the old one.

The other alternative is to re-create them by hand in your second library.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
From your description, it sounds as if you imported the books from your test library by aiming calibre's 'add books' at the test library. Plugboards play a role during save-to-disk and send-to-device, but don't touch the books or metadata in a library. As such, they would have no effect in this scenario as I understand it.
That's exactly what I did.

Quote:
If you saved-to-disk then imported the resulting folder structure, then I would expect to see the plugboard-modified metadata in the books, assuming that you used 'save to disk' as the plugboard target. Note that an OPF created by save-to-disk will contain the information from calibre's library, not information modified by plugboards. However, this cannot be your problem, because you used 'multiple books per directory', and that mode ignores OPFs.

If you want to change metadata in your library using something with the power/expressiveness of plugboards, then use search/replace. You can create custom columns that match the plugboard values, then use S/R to assign them to the desired fields. As of 0.7.35, you can enter the template directly into the S/R dialog.
I did not save to disk first. I'll try attaching my Kindle and saving the library on it to disk, then do the same with the Sony and try the add books again.

Quote:
And yes, plugboards are library specific, because they (can) depend on custom columns that exist only in that library. However, I don't see how this affects anything in the scenario.

Perhaps you can supply a bit more detail about what you did, what happened, and what you expected to happen?
I expected that additional copies of the books with the plugboards data would be added to the main library. I understand now that I used the wrong procedure.

Thank you very much for the clarification.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you want to copy plugboard data, the only way to do it automatically is to click the calibre icon on the toolbar and select create new library making sure that copy library structure is checked. Then your new library will have the same plugboards as the old one.

The other alternative is to re-create them by hand in your second library.
Thanks Kovid. I did re-create them by hand. I only had 2 templates, so it wasn't a big deal.
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I did not save to disk first. I'll try attaching my Kindle and saving the library on it to disk, then do the same with the Sony and try the add books again.
You will get duplicates when you add the books back into your library. You might also get some merging, depending on how options are set, which might change the results of your experiment.

Is all of this in the way of a learning experience? I ask because I can't see any other reason to go through all the hassle.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

Is all of this in the way of a learning experience? I ask because I can't see any other reason to go through all the hassle.
The test library was for the learning experience and for creating the Kindle and Calibre Plugboards wiki page of the Visual Kindle Guide. I needed a more simplified version of my library for the images in the guide and to make sure I didn't screw up my main library while I was experimenting.