Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #12481
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I just added on my "Currently reading" collection two books, Karamazov Brothers - Dostoievski and Les Miserables - Hugo.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #12482
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I just added on my "Currently reading" collection two books, Karamazov Brothers - Dostoievski and Les Miserables - Hugo.
The begging of Les Mis is very boring (The whole background on the Bishop) but picks up a bit after that part. I think the abridged version drastically cut that down (86 hardcover pages just to put some background on a more so minor character)

I'm currently 400 pages out of 1800 read on the Unabridged Version, but I haven't read it much for about a month.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #12483
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm currently reading Defending Jacob by William Landay.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #12484
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
sir arthur conan doyle - silver blaze

Last edited by coderserdar; 02-23-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: harryt :)
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #12485
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post
sir arthur conan doyle - the adventure of the silver blaze
It's actually just called "Silver Blaze" (the name of the racehorse which is at the heart of the story).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #12486
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm reading the new Elizabeth Moon Paksenarrion book, Echoes of Betrayal that was just released.
Ah - I know what I'll be reading after my current book then. Just downloaded and added to my TBR folder.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #12487
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
sir arthur conan doyle - the adventure of the second stain
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #12488
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The second in the Petaybee series by Anne McCaffrey, Power Lines
A very weak villain, who is supposed to be very logical and evidence based, but doesn't actually follow his described characteristics. CRussel's right, I think, but I'll probably get to the third book shortly, just to confirm.

Next: Echoes of Betrayal by Elizabeth Moon

I'm looking forward to this.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #12489
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Continuing my Mystery/Crime month:

Finished Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout (book 1 of Nero Wolfe novels)
Finished The League of Frightened Men by Rex Stout (book 2 of Nero Wolfe novels)

Now struggling to finish Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie (book 2 of The First Law series) before the end of February.

I'm joining a read-along in March of The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch over at the Little Red Reviewer and other sites
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #12490
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Continuing my Mystery/Crime month:

Finished Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout (book 1 of Nero Wolfe novels)
Finished The League of Frightened Men by Rex Stout (book 2 of Nero Wolfe novels)....
I was really surprised at the resolution of that novel. Not by the identity of the killer—Stout told us that halfway through the book—but by the resolution of the story. I did not see that coming, and would not have believed it had someone told me.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #12491
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
'I finished The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd yesterday. 5 Stars, highly recommend.

I'm currently reading the rest of War Of The Worlds, it's a little slow but given the time it was written that's to be expected. But still a good read. Just like "The Time Machine" it's quite a bit different than both movies.

And I just bought Endless Night by Agatha Christie, it sounded a bit different from her other work.
Here's the description;
Spoiler:

Every night and every morn,
Some to misery are born,
Every morn and every night,
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

Strapped by a chauffeur's wages, Michael Rogers' want of a better life seems out of reach. Especially elusive is a magnificent piece of property in Kingston Bishop--unil a chance meeting with a beautiful heiress makes his dreams possible. Marrying her is the first step. Building the perfect home is the next. Unfortunately, Michael ignored the local warnings about the deadly curse buried in the tract of land, and living out his dreams may exact a higher price than he ever imagined. Praised as one of Agatha Christie's most unusual forays into gothic, psychological suspense, this novel of fate, chance, and the nature of evil was a personal favorite of the author's as well.

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-24-2012 at 07:38 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #12492
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just finished:

- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Angel of the Opera by Sam Siciliano - This is kind of an odd Sherlock Holmes novel, because it is essentially a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera, but inserting the character of Holmes into the story. The reader is ahead of Holmes the entire time, because if you're even somewhat familiar with the original story you already know who the Phantom is and how the story will end. But, regardless, it is very well-written and very engaging. I enjoyed every page of it, despite the fact that there really is no mystery in the book.

Currently reading:

- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (66%)

- A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin (56%)

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (38%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #12493
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke

Just bought "The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke". This book, published by Gollancz in the UK, contains every short story (104 in all) ever published by Clarke, many of which are available here for the first time since the 1930s. An excellent book for "dipping into" by one of the "Grand Masters" of SF.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #12494
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just bought "The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke". This book, published by Gollancz in the UK, contains every short story (104 in all) ever published by Clarke, many of which are available here for the first time since the 1930s. An excellent book for "dipping into" by one of the "Grand Masters" of SF.
It seems to only be available in the U.K., and only from WHSmith eBooks.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #12495
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It seems to only be available in the U.K., and only from WHSmith eBooks.
I bought it from Amazon.