Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #16
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Yes, the OED is great, but is not public domain, and is not even commercially available as an epub, and certainly not in Kobo dictionary format.
The OED's that ship with OSX are so nicely formatted, I wish I could figure out a way to decompile-them, but I can only find tools to go the other way (from stardict etc. to Apple's Dictionary 2.0 format)
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
lollazzo
lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Is it possible to use prc dictonary?
lollazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Has anyone tried just removing/renaming the English dictionary? Mine pops up at odd times and I can't make it go away. Getting rid of the file seems like a great way to make it go away.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
Has anyone tried just removing/renaming the English dictionary? Mine pops up at odd times and I can't make it go away. Getting rid of the file seems like a great way to make it go away.
I do not think that this will help. Instead of showing a dictionary entry the pop up box will tell you that there is no English dictionary installed.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Wow, this is a great improvement!
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #21
casaraku
casaraku began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch amd BBPlaybook
Thumbs down new dictionary 1913

You mean only real book owners and those with Wikipedia have access to the lastest OED etc.... i can buy all kinds of ebooks but not e-dictionaries... i guess the ones used on kobo are for young readers...i will not read above Stephen King and 50 Shades of Yellow.....
casaraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #22
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loceka View Post
Still, I wonder how you managed to find out that the .html files in the archive were actually gzip files because gzip (on Linux) as well as 7zip (on Windows) are unable to open the ".html" files from the official Kobo dictionaries.
Sure (wb.html was extracted from the default kobo English dictionary):
Code:
# file /tmp/wb.html
/tmp/wb.html: gzip compressed data, from Unix, last modified: Thu May 26 10:47:26 2011, max compression
gzip/gunzip are very badly behaved - unix/linux programs are supposed to look at the contents, not care about the extension. gunzip -S html will actually work, though.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Shellshock: Do the entries in any individual word file need to be in alphabetical order? It doesn't look like it, but I don't see any mention in your HowTo.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Still, I wonder how you managed to find out that the .html files in the archive were actually gzip files because gzip (on Linux) as well as 7zip (on Windows) are unable to open the ".html" files from the official Kobo dictionaries.
Have you found a way to open the official files ? Or are you aware of any way to do it ?
It is a little late, but I did not see the question earlier. Not all kobo dictionaries consist of gzipped html files. Some of them have a different (to me unknown) format.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Do the entries in any individual word file need to be in alphabetical order? It doesn't look like it, but I don't see any mention in your HowTo.
Marisa seems not to need pre-ordered input files.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
auspex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
It is a little late, but I did not see the question earlier. Not all kobo dictionaries consist of gzipped html files. Some of them have a different (to me unknown) format.
"file" on linux should still be able to tell you what it is.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
auspex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Marisa seems not to need pre-ordered input files.
Cool - then I ought to be able to merge dictionaries!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
"file" on linux should still be able to tell you what it is.
I think the other format is some kind of private encryption. Those file don't seem to have a common header (as far as I remember). Therefore, linux should not know what they are.
(But of course linux recognizes the gzipped files.)

Last edited by tshering; 02-10-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Cool - then I ought to be able to merge dictionaries!
Yes, it is pretty easy. On point to take care of is that entries with the same keyword should follow directly on each other. Otherwise, only one of the entries will get displayed.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
flyingtoad
flyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle 1st gen, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Thanks a lot for sharing this information with us ShellShock !

Have you found a way to open the official files ? Or are you aware of any way to do it ?

By the way, thanks to another contribution on this forum I wrote a script that allows converting a dictionary in mobi format to the kobo dictionary format :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=477
Well if I would happen to have the Oxford English Dictionnary [without DRM], and in Mobi format, would it be possible to put it in the Kobo using your method please ?
flyingtoad is offline   Reply With Quote