Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thumbs down app updates and syncing under iOS 6 extremely slow

Wow, ever since I updated to iOS 6 it takes my iPad3 forever to sync via wired connection with computer and to update apps via WiFi. I also get a lot of WiFi weak connection messages. Looks like Apple really messed up with the iOS 6 update.

Syncing with computer takes an hour or more for a 16gb iPad3 with most of the memory (13.39gb) still available!

To update an app via WiFi used to take seconds. Now it takes 10-20 minutes!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-29-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I haven't experienced this. Maybe it's related to a specific app.

Have you checked the Apple forums?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't use wifi sync and usually update apps via iTunes, but the app store has been virtually unusable these last few days (weeks? Not sure when it started). I can browse and buy apps (downloading is very slow) but not post reviews, and everything in the app store is very slow.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have an iPod touch 4 running iOS 6. I update and sync via WiFi, and haven't noticed any slowdowns.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I haven't had any problem syncing my iPad retina since the upgrade. 64 GB takes me less than half an hour. I have noticed the updates are downloading more slowly, regardless of the IOS. My Touch is still on IOS 5 and the updates speeds are about the same as it is for my iPad.

I just assume it's because of so many of us updating and overloading the system.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't sync via wifi, but app updates are as quick as they've ever been for me (iPod Touch 4th gen & iPhone 5). When iOS 6 first launched I had problems with the app store and updates, but they went away after a few days.

Maybe something in iOS 6 is causing problems with your specific model of router?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I sometimes do wifi sync but not often. On the occasions I have, I have not really noticed any slowdowns at all. I think David_e may well have hit the nail on the head. I'd be doing it wired, and watching which one takes forever.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Apparently some of you miss understood what I was saying.

I NEVER do a WiFi sync. Occasionally I hook up my iPad3 to my computer and let it sync through iTunes via a USB connection. That is painfully slow--over an hour to sync less than 4GB 3GB of data. iTunes has always been incredibly slow with syncing, but now it is much worse. [EDIT]: As in taking several times longer to sync.[/EDIT] The computer BTW is wired to the internet via an ethernet cable. No WiFi involved at all. I do NOT use the Apple cloud, BTW.

I do have a WiFi connection on the iPad3, and I allow the App Store app to update any prior purchased apps and occasionally purchase a new one. Whenever the App Store notifies me of an available app update I allow it to update that app. Those app updates are what I'm referring to as taking a very long time. Prior to iOS 6 on the iPad3, it would update most apps in a matter of a few seconds, usually less than a minute. Now it commonly takes 15 to 20 minutes!

Syncing and app updating was blazingly fast in iOS 5 but has become excruciatingly slow under iOS 6.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-31-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Apparently some of you miss understood what I was saying.
And what everyone else is saying is that they have not seen any similar slowdown.
If your computer has always taken over an hour to sync, there has been something wrong even before you upgraded to iOS6.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Just curious: how do you know how many GB are being synchronized? I have never seen that indicated anywhere.

FWIW there are three iOS devices in my household and they each take about 5 minutes to sync.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Just curious: how do you know how many GB are being synchronized? I have never seen that indicated anywhere.

FWIW there are three iOS devices in my household and they each take about 5 minutes to sync.
I actually don't know exactly how much is being synced. But when I connect to iTunes via the USB to computer, iTunes shows how much memory is available. I've got a 16GB iPad3, it tells me that 13.39GB are still available, therefore 16GB-13.4GB=2.6GB. I rounded the 2.6GB up to 4GB because I incorrectly did the math! I should have rounded up to 3GB. My point is that the most that could be synced is 3GB because that is all that is on that iPad3.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And what everyone else is saying is that they have not seen any similar slowdown.
If your computer has always taken over an hour to sync, there has been something wrong even before you upgraded to iOS6.
I said it was much faster prior to iOS 6. I guess people read what they want to...but I never said it took an hour+ in iOS 5.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I understand now. Perhaps it's a problem with iTunes that merits a reinstallation? Or are you using an older computer? Maybe even a faulty cable?

Maybe you should try to sync over wifi and see if it's any faster.

EDIT: seems it didn't take you an hour to sync when you used iOS 5, though I can see why murraypaul thought so. I read it the same way.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
My mistake, I saw "iTunes has always been incredibly slow with syncing", and connected it to the line above.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

No problem, I didn't word it as well as I should have. Bottom line is up through iOS syncing and app updates were much faster. Both have slowed to a crawl since I updated to iOS 6. Otherwise the iPad3 seems as fast as before on most tasks. I was hoping someone else here experienced this and found a solution. I hate talking with Apple CS and there is no way I would post any questions on an Apple related forum.

I think I'll check into uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling it on my computer. All my iTunes and related Apple installations have been on the computer for ages, and although they are all up to date, all those updates over the past couple of years could have screwed things up some how.