Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Lotheric
Lotheric began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo Reader
Original Kobo (non WIFI v1.4) - How to upgrade to latest firmware ?

I have an original Kobo reader (bought it online in Canada) with v1.4 (updated a few years back). I'm seeing there's a new version that allow faster page turns. I updated my Kobo software and it tells me I can upgrade to 1.8 but the updating process does not work. I follow the steps and once I'm at the point where I have to set my Kobo in firmware update mode, I do it (holding the two buttons) but then when I click continue it skips to the end in 0 seconds saying the upgrade was succesful... And I'm still on 1.4

any tips ?

EDIT: In other words, steps 5, 6 and 7 (described in this thread) are completed instantly and nothing happens (the spinning thing on the screen that keeps spinning until you plug your eReader back in never show up and the kobo stays blank). All I can do at this point is a reset and that brings it back to 1.4....

Last edited by Lotheric; 07-29-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Lotheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
gfinlay
gfinlay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotheric View Post
I have an original Kobo reader (bought it online in Canada) with v1.4 (updated a few years back). I'm seeing there's a new version that allow faster page turns. I updated my Kobo software and it tells me I can upgrade to 1.8 but the updating process does not work. I follow the steps and once I'm at the point where I have to set my Kobo in firmware update mode, I do it (holding the two buttons) but then when I click continue it skips to the end in 0 seconds saying the upgrade was succesful... And I'm still on 1.4

any tips ?

EDIT: In other words, steps 5, 6 and 7 (described in this thread) are completed instantly and nothing happens (the spinning thing on the screen that keeps spinning until you plug your eReader back in never show up and the kobo stays blank). All I can do at this point is a reset and that brings it back to 1.4....
I get the same thing. I have an original Kobo eReader (purchased at Chapters/Indigo in Canada) with version 1.4 firmware. On my Win7 PC, I have Kobo Desktop 3.0 installed. When I connect a USB cable and sync, it asks me to install 1.8, and I start the 7-step upgrade process. I successfully get my Kobo ereader into update mode in step 4 (red light is on and the screen is blank). When the program asks me if I was able to get update mode properly, I click on Continue, and the update program immediately skips steps 5 and 6 (this is the bug!)and goes immediately to step 7, falsely indicating success. Since step 5 and 6 are skipped, the program hasn't even got to the point where it asks me to reconnect the cable after putting Kobo into Update Mode (step 4 does not yet tell you to reconnect your cable after the red light comes on). Meanwhile my ereader is still in update mode when I reach step 7. I cannot go to previous screens for steps 5 or 6. I have no alternative at this point but to do a reset with a paperclip. When I get to the settings screen from the menu, of course the Kobo states that I still have v1.4 firmware installed.

I have also tried reconnecting my USB cable in step 4 after the Kobo is rebooted in Update Mode and the red light on (even though I haven't been asked to reconnect yet) BEFORE clicking on Continue, just to see if I can get the update program to get to steps 5 and 6. No luck - it immediately goes to step 7. I get this problem on both Kobo Desktop 3.0 for Windows, and on Kobo Desktop 3.0 for my Mac on OS X.

I suspect that the original Kobo eReader firmware V1.4 -> V1.8 update program might have worked with Kobo Desktop 2.0, but no longer works with Kobo Desktop 3.0. It would seem that something is causing it to skip the step 5 and 6 screens (where the new firmware is downloaded to the Kobo while in Update Mode and before the program tells the bootloader to restart after flashing the new firmware) and it goes straight to the step 7 success screen. The step 6 screen flashes momentarily for about 1/8th of a second.
Perhaps because most Kobo users have more recent Kobo touch or Kobo WiFi models, the testing of the original Kobo version firmware update procedure html screens with the new Kobo Desktop 3.0 may not have been done thoroughly.
gfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
gfinlay
gfinlay began at the beginning.

Here is the final screen for Step 7 - this appears immediately after clicking on Continue in response to the question something like "Did enabling Update Mode succeed?" in step 4.

However, the Kobo is still in update mode and still has v1.4 firmware.

Last edited by gfinlay; 07-30-2012 at 07:51 AM.
gfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
getbes
getbes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Hi,
Stop trying to update kobo touch by this way.
Just download the update you need on the page linked below :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
Extract the files in the zip files and copy them on the kobo in directory called ".kobo"
Unplug the reader, reload it and it will install the firmware.

2.0.2 works correctly on my device.
getbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbes View Post
...2.0.2 works correctly on my device.
Except the OP doesn't have a KT and all the links to firmware on that page are for the KT, not the Kobo Gen 1 (original Kobo, non-wifi). There are no updates beyond v1.4 for that device that I am aware of.

Last edited by Danger; 07-31-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
There are no updates beyond v1.4 for that device that I am aware of.
That was my thought too, but I checked mine and sure enough it is 1.8.x.
Sorry OP, I don't remember the steps from way back then. Have you opened a ticket at the Kobo helpdesk? It will probably be a painful experience to get the info you need (rather than info for the Touch), but it might be your best bet.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
snmilliken
snmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo,Kobo Vox & BB Playbook
I was going to ask if there was a firmware version past 1.8. I have 1.8.3 on my Kobo eReader (original not wifi). I see the others have version 1.9 and beyond. Is there something newer that will work?
snmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
getbes
getbes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Sorry, I live in France were the only kobo which has been sold is the KT.
I didn't know another model exists.
getbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Lotheric
Lotheric began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo Reader
I posted my problem on another forum and got an official Kobo employee response but it did not fix my issue

https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/top..._wifi_firmware
Lotheric is offline   Reply With Quote