Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
UMPC recommendations?

I know, this is really not a reader, but there are a lot of early adapters out there, so I thought I'd solicit opinions.

I'm thinking of getting an Ultra Mobile PC as a replacement for my aging HP laptop. I don't need a lot of power, but some kick ass games would be a nice touch. (Not essential.) I use it mostly for MS Office apps and for some browsing, but would like to have more net capacity. WiFI and broadband would be nice, but broadband is more important at this point.

I've looked at some and am leaning toward the Fujitsu, just becasue the tradtional keyboard is more appealing, but the Sony is intriguing.

What is, in your opinion, the best UMPC out there? Budget is around $1800 to $3000.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
helten
helten is on a distinguished road

Device: None
I'm personally looking at a Gigabyte M912X (8.9" touch, tablet), M704 (real 7" UMPC) or a Kohjinsha SX3 (8,9" touch, tablet). I lean towards the M912X due to a low price of 459€ to 569€ depending on configuration (with/without OS, 1/2GB RAM). Other versions of the M912 will also be available at a lower price (Linux, 4GB SSD, no BT etc...).
helten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Well, you're willing to spend a lot more than I am. I'm strongly leaning toward the EEE PC 901 from Asus, though the Wind from MSI has caught my attention. I do *not* want a Windows machine and the EEE PC comes pre-loaded with Linux. I've been told that I can take the Windows pre-load off of the MSI Wind and replace it with Linux, but one advantage of a pre-load is that you don't have to fight with device drivers.

My criteria:
* Very, very portable -- light and small
* Linux OS
* Network: ethernet and WiFi, AT&T 3G would be a nice bonus
* 1024x600 (minimum) screen resolution

Planned usage:
* Internet appliance
* Reading PDFs
* eBook creation, proofing, and occasional reading
* solitaire, soduko, and text-based games
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Well, you're willing to spend a lot more than I am. I'm strongly leaning toward the EEE PC 901 from Asus, though the Wind from MSI has caught my attention. I do *not* want a Windows machine and the EEE PC comes pre-loaded with Linux. I've been told that I can take the Windows pre-load off of the MSI Wind and replace it with Linux, but one advantage of a pre-load is that you don't have to fight with device drivers.

My criteria:
* Very, very portable -- light and small
* Linux OS
* Network: ethernet and WiFi, AT&T 3G would be a nice bonus
* 1024x600 (minimum) screen resolution

Planned usage:
* Internet appliance
* Reading PDFs
* eBook creation, proofing, and occasional reading
* solitaire, soduko, and text-based games
Is the Eee a standard linux distribution like Ubuntu? Or does it run some special Asus created hybrid?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is the Eee a standard linux distribution like Ubuntu? Or does it run some special Asus created hybrid?
Documentation says Xandros. There is a user community and experienced users have posted many hints and tips.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Xandros is not Ubuntu. I did not care for it and replaced it with Kubuntu on my Eee 701. Runs great! The Xandros boots faster, but I think it is optimized for that. eeeuser.com has many resources to help you with Xandros or several other Linux distributions.

Norm
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The following link is a great source of info:
http://www.umpcportal.com/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main issue with most UMPCs appears to be an extremely short battery life. Fine if you're going to take it somewhere and plug it into the mains to use it, but rather limiting for portable use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main issue with most UMPCs appears to be an extremely short battery life. Fine if you're going to take it somewhere and plug it into the mains to use it, but rather limiting for portable use.
Portable for me is going to be mainly being able to carry it from one office to another. I have three spread out on the campus, so I'd like to be able to save my shoulder some wear and tear. Also, to be able to sit in bed at night and surf and write would be nice.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I know your pain, it's a tough market out there and if you can't physically handle the myriad of UMPC's out there, it's even more difficult. I personally eventually settled on the HTC Shift (after getting a much better than retail price on it!). It has a good size screen, stays in slate-mode when not needing the keyboard, much better than the Eee, Cloud book, or other ultra-cheap UMPC that's out. The Fujitsu is nice, but the keyboard of the 5" version is way too small to be comfortable and the screen will strain your eyes something fierce. I actually own two OQO UMPC's, a Model 01 and 01+, the screens and keyboard were way too small for my taste and made their use too troublesome (same would go for the Sony UMPC form factor). I've played around with the Eee quite a bit and didn't really like the waste of screen real estate with the think black boarders, such a waste, otherwise it would have been a decent system provided it was running XP or Vista (Vista wouldn't be my first option due to resource use, but it's tops in terms of input technology). Why not go with Linux? In terms of what you would use day-to-day, unless you're already running Linux, you will find more software available for Windows in better refined packages. Sure Linux has come a long way, but it's not usurping the M$ juggernaut just yet. One last thing, in terms of cheapest & best UMPC if you're on a budget, get a Khojinsha. Why? They're just as cheap as the Eee, come loaded with XP Tablet, and convert from traditional laptop to tablet-mode and allow pen-input. All in a nice package that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, plus the keyboard is actually large enough to be of use.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been researching the UMPC market for a long time running now and have gotten my hands on most. Bottom line though, get out and see what you can, chances are... once you take the plunge you're more than likely going to be stuck with it.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Also, to be able to sit in bed at night and surf and write would be nice.
Watch what you wear (or don't wear) in bed - many of these small machines can get uncomfortably hot in use .
Old 07-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Watch what you wear (or don't wear) in bed - many of these small machines can get uncomfortably hot in use .
Good advice!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I speak from painful experience. The back of my old CyBook Gen1 (Windows CE machine with an LCD screen) gets almost too hot to touch after it's been on for an hour.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
What is, in your opinion, the best UMPC out there? Budget is around $1800 to $3000.
The most "mobile" PC I can think of would be the Macbook Air. It is full featured and has as good or better battery life than some slate type device like the pepper pad or such. It is on the high side of your budget, but does fit into it.

The down side, it does not have any Cell phone type HDSPA/EV-DO connectivity built in. Not, sure if you were looking for that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The most "mobile" PC I can think of would be the Macbook Air. It is full featured and has as good or better battery life than some slate type device like the pepper pad or such. It is on the high side of your budget, but does fit into it.

The down side, it does not have any Cell phone type HDSPA/EV-DO connectivity built in. Not, sure if you were looking for that.

BOb
My wife has a Macbook (not Air). It makes me scream "Intuitive, my ass!" at the TV when the "Hi, I'm a Mac" commercials are on. And all my programs are PC. Although that's less of a factor, since Vista has made me re-buy all my programs, anyway.

If it could act as a tablet, I might actually think about it, though.