Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: do you read on your smartphone?
No, never or almost never 34 35.05%
Yes, I read the same book and use software which syncs with my e-reader 13 13.40%
Yes, I read the same book and figure out my place when I switch 14 14.43%
Yes, but I read different books on my phone and my e-reader 21 21.65%
Yes, I read on my phone and I don't have an e-reader 15 15.46%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I use to read on my iPod Touch, and that was pretty decent with Stanza. I did it as kind of a proof of concept before I took the plunge on a dedicated reader. Now I would say 95% of my reading is done on my PRS-505 (which had been my wife's before I got her a PRS-650). The rest of the time I read with Aldiko on my LG Optimus (Great budget smart phone by the way... my only complaint is I wish I had a larger screen ). The main reason I read on the Optimus? Usually because I forgot to bring the Sony with me to someplace I often read (most frequently the gym).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #32
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
When I was little, my mom had a Cassio little palm piloty thing that I read a couple books on. I have no idea HOW I managed to sanely read those books. I guess because I was so little, my attention span was short and I didn't mind constantly changing the page. I have a Blackberry Curve and can only stand to read Facebook updates and blogs that have very few pictures.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #33
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
wow! 8.7% I'm part of a small elite!
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #34
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I've been reading on cell phones and PDAs since long before there was such a thing as e-ink or a dedicated ereader. I’ve had a couple of ereaders, Sony 505 and JetBook, but soon migrated back to phones because of the portability. My current phone is an HTC EVO 4G, and I chose that primarily because of the excellent 4.3 inch screen that allowed me to display more words at a time.

When I’m having a reading marathon on a weekend, I usually read on the larger screens on my PC or netbook using K4PC because the WhisperSync feature allows me to sync it with the EVO; most convenient!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #35
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
My iPhone works very well for me as a supplement to a larger screen e-ink device. I'm not so bothered by the small screen, but I once was between e-ink devices and tried using my iPod Touch as my sole reader, and it was annoying it ran out of battery charge so quickly.

I couldn't imagine having only my iPhone to read on, but it's really great for taking with me when I'm out - not to speak of it being the ultimate mobile personal computer.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #36
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Started reading on a 3.2" Android phone screen in September 2010 with the Kindle app. Serviceable and always with me, but a bit awkward to hold for long spells, and the battery doesn't last as long as my reading jags during vacations, forcing me to recline near power outlets. I much prefer the e-ink screen and the ergonomic shape of the Pocketbook 360 purchased in January, but am still seeking ereader nirvana. Had I known Sprint would abandon upgrades for the phone after 2.1, I think I would have skipped the smartphone entirely (and the headache of figuring out which apps are safe to use), and gone directly to the Sony 350 for the touch screen and the high quality dictionaries in multiple languages -- but only at the $130 sale price. It will be fun to see where the market goes, but I plan to sit on my hands for at least another year.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #37
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Lately, I've been reading more dead tree than anything. Just happens that way.

For ebooks, I use my Sony if I'm settling in for a longer read - say an hour or so - and pull out the smartphone if I'm out and about and just going to read for five or ten minutes.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #38
mostlynovels
mostlynovels doesn't littermostlynovels doesn't littermostlynovels doesn't litter

Device: past: Bookeen (2yrs); present: laptop(WinXP), 3.5"phone(WinMob6.5)
No Eye Strain and Great Battery Life

Yes, I read on my smartphone a lot!

No Eye Strain IF
- Use white text on black background.
- In lower ambient light reduce the screen's brightness.

Great Battery Life IF
- Reduce screen's brightness (but do need high brightness in or near outside light).
- Don't use auto scrolling.

It's like reading successive 3-inch lengths of newspaper column, except it's super clear due to the high resolution in a small area.

It's very convenient: With you all the time and on all the time!
_
mostlynovels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #39
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Yes, I have a Touch and read on it when it is too dark for my eReader or too inconvenient (i. e. Standing in line at the bank).
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Yes, I have a Touch and read on it when it is too dark for my eReader or too inconvenient (i. e. Standing in line at the bank).
I forgot that! With the backlight (and the small size) it's great for reading in bed
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #41
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I have a Blackberry Storm 2 that I have been reading on for over a year. (Nearly 200 books, so far.) I use the B&N app and Mobipocket. I prefer Mobipocket because I can set the background color. I have the background set to about 60% gray and the screen brightness turned down to the lowest setting. It almost looks like e-ink. I read a lot more in dark places than I do in bright sunshine, so having a back-light screen is definitely an advantage to me. So is the size.

My phone goes everywhere I do, it's even my bedside alarm clock. The convenience of being able read anytime I have a free moment and dropping it back into my pocket when my attention is needed elsewhere, to me, far outweighs any perceived shortcomings.

As of now, I do not think it likely that I will ever purchase a dedicated eReader. There may come a time went a Tablet will be function-able, and desirable enough, for me to purchase one. A rooted Nook is tempting, but again it's not a dedicated device.

With that said, I did purchase a Kobo for my, 75 year-old, mother for christmas. A simple, dedicated eReader is perfect for her.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #42
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
The 4.3" screen on my Droid X that was such a turnoff to many people ("It's too big for a phone") works rather well. My stuff is all technical so it's either .chm or .pdf but it works great.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #43
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
I absolutely read on my smartphones! (evo, ,mytouch4g, iphone, samsung vibrant). I am in the same boat as a few others, reading on my phone for shorter periods
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote