Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Russian books (and menus) on the Reader?

I saw a 505 for sale on eBay that has "support for Russian language" installed by the seller. The menus and a couple of displayed pages are shown in Cyrillic. Is anyone reading books in Russian on their Reader? (Has anyone installed such "Russian support"?) If so, can you also have English books installed simultaneously?

An older post here also mentions the fb2lrf converter. Some info for that is at http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/fb2lrf.html. Is this all that's needed to load Russian fb2-format books onto the Reader whioch will be displayed in the proper fonts?

Also, does anyone know a site or source for free Russian books in fb2 format? (This info is so I can give the gf a killer present next month. She loves old, classic stories, etc., so I imagine there will be some available in Russian that are free of copyright. I want to pre-load her Reader with a bunch of Russian books/stories of the box.)

Thanks in advance....

Thx.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Mihail
Mihail began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I saw a 505 for sale on eBay that has "support for Russian language" installed by the seller. The menus and a couple of displayed pages are shown in Cyrillic. Is anyone reading books in Russian on their Reader? (Has anyone installed such "Russian support"?) If so, can you also have English books installed simultaneously?

An older post here also mentions the fb2lrf converter. Some info for that is at http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/fb2lrf.html. Is this all that's needed to load Russian fb2-format books onto the Reader whioch will be displayed in the proper fonts?

Also, does anyone know a site or source for free Russian books in fb2 format?
Thanks in advance....

Thx.
I read Russian books on my PRS500. Others do it on PRS505 as well. You can have both Russian and English books on the reader.

You can find the instructions on how to add Russian support here (it's all in Russian):

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewf...4ed12a71a3d858

Look for topics:
Step-by-step Instructions for PRS-505 Russification
Step-by-step Instructions for PRS-500 Russification

Chances are the device you saw on e-bay was already russified.

Once you add Russian support to your PRS and Connect reader you should be able to use fb2lrf converter and read books in Russian on you reader.

There are tons of books in Russian in fb2 format here:
http://lib.aldebaran.ru/author/

Actually, you do not have to add Russian support to the reader. You can convert fb2 books to pdf (optimized for PRS) online on this website:
http://www.codeminders.com/fb2pdf/

That website has a lot of books in Russian in pdf format. You can read them on your reader without adding Russian support.
Mihail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Thanks for that info! Alas, I can't read the Russian. (But I can hopefully solicit help at home, discreetly.) So, does adding Russian support involve flashing the Reader (500)? I saw one thread title which says it provides a single hack for Russian support, joystick page turn, clock display, etc. What has to be done to the Connect software? (I'm running WinXP Pro at home.) After the support is added, both English and Russian books can be stored and read just fine?

By the way, that first book link you gave has a popup with a really hot babe! Are those books free/public domain?

The second site appears to have direct links to pdf files on the front page. Are those pre-converted Russian books?

Another Q: Would it be better to convert the fb2 files to lrf format (instead of using the optimized pdf files w/o installed Russian support), which would allow resizing of fonts, etc.?

Thanks again.

[UPDATE: I did manage to dl a Russian fb2 book from the first site, and convert it to pdf on the 2nd site. It does work fine. Alas, I have no idea what kind of book I converted. )

Last edited by DrMoze; 11-29-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Another Q: Would it be better to convert the fb2 files to lrf format (instead of using the optimized pdf files w/o installed Russian support), which would allow resizing of fonts, etc.?
Yes, native lrf file would be much better than pdf file. LRF is certainly more user friendly. You can change font size and make sure that you have TOC the way you want it to be and a general layout is much better than pdfs you get on the fb2/pdf site. I would use the site only as the last resort. Although I still have not read one book in Russian on mine (I converted 2 or 3) and it is not hacked to support Russian yet...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Mihail

Quote:
What has to be done to the Connect software? (I'm running WinXP Pro at home.)
You just need to put several files into certain Connect folders. The link to those files and the instructions are at the bottom of the first message in "Step-by-step Instructions for PRS-500 Russification".

Quote:
After the support is added, both English and Russian books can be stored and read just fine?
Yes.

Quote:
The second site appears to have direct links to pdf files on the front page. Are those pre-converted Russian books?
Yes. Click on the tab "Библиотекa" and it will take you to the library of books in pdf format optimized for Sony reader.

I agree with Astra_Lestat that lrf is much better than pdf. Pdf is an easy and safe solution; if you make a mistake when adding Russian support to your Sony reader it may freeze really solid.

Last edited by Mihail; 11-30-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut

Thanks for the info! I have an *urgent* request (as I'm debating whether to pick up a 505 model and add Russian support): How is the Support added for the 505 model? Could you (or anyone else here who understands Russian) let me know how it's done on the 505? There's a thread on the above site with instructions and links to files--in Russian!

I basically need to know ASAP (please?) if the upgrade merely involves loading files on an SD card and doing a reflash (which I've done on the 500 model), or if it is more complicated than that.

I'm hoping to get the new Reader (500 or 505) and add Russian support by next week, so any info on the upgrade process for the 505 would be *most* welcome. (Otherwise, I might play it safe and pick up a 500 model, which I know how to flash using an SD card.)

Also, if the 505 can apparently be flashed (there are pics of the process in the Russian forums linked above), is there also a clock display hack?

The above forums also include a thread on a 'cumulative' hack for the 500 which adds Russian fonts, clock display, joystick page turn, etc. Is this hack updated and current?

Thanks for *any* help here!

Last edited by DrMoze; 11-30-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I have an *urgent* request (as I'm debating whether to pick up a 505 model and add Russian support): How is the Support added for the 505 model? Could you (or anyone else here who understands Russian) let me know how it's done on the 505? There's a thread on the above site with instructions and links to files--in Russian!

I basically need to know right now if the upgrade merely involves loading files on an SD card and doing a reflash (which I've done on the 500 model), or if it is more complicated than that.

I'm hoping to get the new Reader (500 or 505) and add Russaian support by next week, so any info on the upgrade process for the 505 would be *most* welcome. (Otherwise, I might play it safe and pick up a 500 model, which I know how to flash using an SD card.)
AFAIK you can add Russian support to 505. However, I am not the right person who could help you because I don't do it myself.
I would strongly advise you to go to Russian forum and post your question in English. Believe me you will get all the info and help you need There are very friendly guys over there
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
AFAIK you can add Russian support to 505. However, I am not the right person who could help you because I don't do it myself.
I would strongly advise you to go to Russian forum and post your question in English. Believe me you will get all the info and help you need There are very friendly guys over there
Thanks, I'll try that. I was just a bit intimidated by all of the posts being in Russian, despite a few thread titles in English! (What a tease! )

DArn, foiled again! I tried to register on the forums, but everything is still in Russian and I'm not sure what information was sent where, but I apparently have not been able to register to post a question.

Can anyone who reads Russian pop over there and let me know the basics of adding Rissian support ot a 500 or 505? (The topics are right on the main Sony forum.)

Last edited by DrMoze; 11-30-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
Mihail

Quote:
Can anyone who reads Russian pop over there and let me know the basics of adding Rissian support ot a 500 or 505? (The topics are right on the main Sony forum.)
Chekc your version of PRS-505. Go to Main Menu -> Settings -> About.

The following instructions are for SONY READER PRS-505: 1.0.00.08130 only!

1. Unpack this zip file http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...0.00.08130.zip in your SD or Memory Stick PRO card keeping all the paths unchanged.
1a. If you want to use a diferent image file, remove from the root directory of the card file new_opt.img. Copy your image file into the root directory of the card and rename it to new_opt.img.
2. Turn on PRS-505.
3. Insert the card into PRS-505.
4. Wait for the menu to appear.

5. Press button 6. Don't press any other buttons.

6. When you see the message "Reflashing was successful. Rebooting.", take the SD card out and wait for the system to re-start.

7. Now your reader should support Russian uncode.

Adding Russian support to eBook Library

0) eBook Library should be installed on your computer. If you don't have the disc with program, download the program from Connect website.

1) Download eBook Library Update Files.zip http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...te%20Files.zip

2) Close eBook Library.

3) Unpack eBook Library Update Files.zip:

*.ttf файлы should go to C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts
kconfig.xml - to C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin
Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
Mihail

If you want to add support to PRS-500, let me know the version, and I'll post the instructions here. If you have Connect rather than Library, use this file:
http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...te%20Files.zip

*.ttf files go to C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\fonts
kconfig.xml - goes to C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\bin
Old 11-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone know how to decompress am IMG file? I'm curious as to what was done.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihail View Post
Chekc your version of PRS-505. Go to Main Menu -> Settings -> About.

The following instructions are for SONY READER PRS-505: 1.0.00.08130 only!

1. Unpack this zip file http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...0.00.08130.zip in your SD or Memory Stick PRO card keeping all the paths unchanged.
1a. If you want to use a different image file, remove from the root directory of the card file new_opt.img. Copy your image file into the root directory of the card and rename it to new_opt.img.
Thanks a mil!!! One minor Q: What does the image file do, and where do I get a different one? Is that the file that contains hacks? Are there any for the 505?

Anyway, now I'm gonna look for either a 505 or a 500 locally. Seems like adding support to either model isn't hard at all.

BTW, is the current model being sold the 1.0.00.08130 version, or could I easily wind up buying a Reader that can't be upgraded?

Last edited by DrMoze; 12-01-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is no other 505 firmware then 1.0.00.08130 at present. I am hoping the next upgrade has epub support.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks a mil!!! One minor Q: What does the image file do, and where do I get a different one? Is that the file that contains hacks? Are there any for the 505?

Anyway, now I'm gonna look for either a 505 or a 500 locally. Seems like adding support to either model isn't hard at all.

BTW, is the current model being sold the 1.0.00.08130 version, or could I easily wind up buying a Reader that can't be upgraded?
The IMG file is basically an image of what is to be installed on the 505. But because the directions say to just use option 6, I'm not sure if the rest of the files there are of any use in figuring out how to hack the 505. So the way to try to do it is to look at the contents on the IMG file.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
That IMG is the filesystem image with standard fonts replaced by Russian ones. As there is no official updater out for 505, there's no way to unbrick the Reader if you screw up (a few people did, including me). So please don't try to modify it if you you're not intimate with Reader internals.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote