Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
andrplx
andrplx began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre Library folder on an external usb drive

Just starting with Calibre. Great, great software.

Being a newbie I might be missing something about Calibre's configuration, so please be patient.
I installed Calibre on my laptop, but created the Library folder on an external usb drive where I keep all my music, movies and books.
If the drive is disconnected, Calibre can't access the library and actually needs to have a new library created before running.

To be able to browse my library even if I'm away from the external drive I found a workaround.
I've managed to do this by copying the metadata.db and metadata_db_prefs_backup.json files to a new library folder on my laptop.
Calibre opens the library correctly even if it is not possible to open the actual ebooks.

The problem is I must keep updating these files everytime I add a new book to Calibre.

I wonder if is possible to synchronize these files in some way or if there's a way to choose where Calibre saves these metadata files independently from the actual books folders.

andrplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC there are people that keep the books on a NAS, but use a local Metadata for performance reasons. That solution should work.

BUT
Make 1 tiny change without the real Library and you have a lack of sync mess

If you need a Local reference, use the "Create a Catalog..." option on the Convert books icon. This is just another "book", but you can save it anyplace for offline viewing.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
andrplx
andrplx began at the beginning.

Device: none
your first option "keep the books on a NAS, but use a local Metadata" seems just right for what I'm looking for.
I've found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84390
I wonder if it will work once I disconnect the drive.

well, I tried the catalog option and it could be a good option.
If add new books, for example, will the catalog be automatically updated to show the new entry or do I have to generate a new catalog?

thnx a lot for the quick answer, theducks
andrplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrplx View Post
your first option "keep the books on a NAS, but use a local Metadata" seems just right for what I'm looking for.
I've found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84390
I wonder if it will work once I disconnect the drive.

well, I tried the catalog option and it could be a good option.
If add new books, for example, will the catalog be automatically updated to show the new entry or do I have to generate a new catalog?

thnx a lot for the quick answer, theducks
Disconnected should work (empty book), But no Covers will show (they are in the folders).

The Catalog is generation is all Manual
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, libraries, metadata