Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
yw3
yw3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Smile SD image needed

I pre-ordered this Kobo H2O when it was just announced. Barely after two years, it becomes more and more unstable.
1. Initially I noticed when I turned to next page, it turned back multiple pages. 2. The power on becomes harder and harder. In the last month, I used the pin-hole to reset more than I did in previous two years.
3. Yesterday when I was reading it stuck. I tried to reset. The screen flicks, and showing small squares progression bar. It stuck at the first square.
4. I reset again, it restarts and stuck at 2nd square.
5. I reset again, it restarts and stuck at 3nd square.
6. I tried a manual factory reset, it shows a white screen and no display whatsoever. When I power it on, the little LED beside the power button went on. The LED beside the power button stays on until I hold the power button for about 13 seconds. The screen no longer flicks on / off. After I took the device apart, it shows two black marks (see attached photo). Does the screen broke?
7. The device was charged but it didn't help.

After reading a few posts, I suspect the SD card is corrupted. I downloaded the USB Image Tool and scanned the surface, all sectors are good. But I still suspect that the file system corrupted. Could anyone send me a SD image for trying on a different SD card? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	153967  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The marks don't look like damage to me. They look more like the device tried to write there.

I've sent you a PM with the link to the image. I don't know if will help, but it's worth the try.
Advert
Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
yw3
yw3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Exclamation Failed to repair. Lesson learned

I started from the sd card image from David. Here is what I did.
1. Used USB Image Tool 1.72 to back up my device's original microSD card content into an img file (old).
2. Used Hex Editor Neo to open the img file, go to 0x200, and record the serial number (s/n) of my device.
3. Unzipped the zip file from David into an img file (new). The img file is about 4GB, the same size as my microSD drive
4. Used Hex Editor Neo to change the s/n number of into my device's s/n and save the file.
5. Used USB Image Tool to restore the new img file to my microSD card.
6. Put the microSD card back into the device and power it.

It seemed worked. The 4 LED's at the bottom flashed, seems it is booting. Unfortunately my screen got broken during dissemble (blame the waterproof glue).

I guess my initial guess is correct that the file system in the microSD card crashed. However, I need to be a lot more careful in dissembling this. There is a thin glass-based substrate layer which is very fragile.

Having had it for a little more than two years, I am not very satisfy with this device. My main two disappointments are:
1. It missed goto page/location functionality. A lot of times I read a book of more than 10,000 pages and I read the book from different devices. When I need to switch the device, the slide bar is not sufficient for me to go to a specific page. I go back/forth many times to get close, and then touch screen to the right place. My Kindle can specify a page, I can use binary search algorithm to reach a page quickly [log(n)].
2. Sometimes the device is not that responsive. Sometimes it is the touchscreen, sometimes it is the software of the system. When I read a big book (epub), a touch for turn to next page ended with going back multiple pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_brokenscreen.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	794.8 KB
ID:	153997  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry for your loss

Your display was damaged even before you opened it. Seems like some of your pixels burst...

Unless you killed your bootloader/kernel/recovery partition, it's not necessary to open the device to do a factory reset: [deleted vidme link]
So opening should only be necessary to replace bad battery / when the SD card died altogether.

And yes, you have to be verrryyyy careful when opening it. I almost died opening mine:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...66#post2998466
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...84#post2998984

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-25-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
fsaad1984
fsaad1984 doesn't litterfsaad1984 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi there, I also suspect my SD card to be corrupted. Could anyone send me the SD image? I already opened the device and the only folder on the SD is " Digital Editions". Diskspace available according my mac is 3.48GB out of the stock 4GB SD. The OS of the Kobo should be bigger then that right?
Advert
Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent. Please don't multi-post. It doesn't help.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Double-and-triple posting is considered spam.

Please do not do this again.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
fsaad1984
fsaad1984 doesn't litterfsaad1984 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Double-and-triple posting is considered spam.

Please do not do this again.

Don
(Moderator)
Sorry.. won't happen again.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:31 AM   #9
Pezzz
Pezzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hey guys,
Have this same problem. Can someone please PM me the image to put onto the internal SD Card?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

And for anyone who finds this thread in the future and needs an image, please use the dedicated thread for the device in the Developers sub-forum.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #11
Pezzz
Pezzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thank you :-)

I will look now to find the thread you were talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.

And for anyone who finds this thread in the future and needs an image, please use the dedicated thread for the device in the Developers sub-forum.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:53 AM   #12
law200
law200 began at the beginning.

Please help with SD image. Thank you in advance!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent. But...

It would be really nice if people actually read my posts. Or even just the last post in the thread.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
jover
jover began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura H2O N250
Aura H2O (N250) SD image needed

Hi there,

My H2O didn't boot and a factory reset didn't work out either.
So I opened the H2O to retrieve the SD to examine the contents of it.
However the SD seems to be defect, cause it isn´t readable on my Windows 10. It is not shown in explorer.

So, could anyone please send me an image for my Aura H2O=

Thanks in advance!

Koos
Old 11-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #15
jover
jover began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura H2O N250
Sorry everyone,

I just found the thread mentioned by Davidfor.
Closed Thread

Tags
blank screen, image, sd card, white screen