Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2022, 11:24 AM   #3316
CubGeek
Connoisseur
CubGeek began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle basic
Picked up Act III of Audible's production of The Sandman. Love the books, really enjoyed the Netflix series, and these full-cast adaptations are just stellar.
CubGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #3317
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I liked both the Levin and Baatz books a lot; I read both which was probably for the good. Levin based on your comment above and it helped with Baatz because of skimming the duller bits. I’ll be curious to hear what you think of the Greg King book as I think he’s a dreadful hack.
I've never read King before; I have his Sharon Tate and the Manson Murders on my library wish list, though. I'm in the final stretch of the Leopold-Loeb book and I like it. Perhaps reading it right after Baatz has helped.

I have had a terrible time keeping Leopold and Loeb straight in both nonfiction accounts--I think of them as their Compulsion fictional counterparts. (Is that Artie? Or is that Judd?)

Quote:
I don’t feel as if I need to reread Goodbar but I’m going to give Closing Time a shot; thanks for that.
I picked up Closing Time during the recent Audible sale, then I happily discovered that my library has Looking for Mr. Goodbar, so I can't resist reading them in tandem.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:13 AM   #3318
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The “classics” have been going down well with me lately. I finished Far from the Madding Crowd as read by Jamie Parker; he’s good, while the book which I remembered only barely isn’t my favorite Hardy but certainly enjoyable. Now I’d like to see how the movie version with Julie Christie and Alan Bates holds up, but I’m cheap about such things (as in, I’m not willing to pay anything at all). Oh, well.

I decided on Women in Love as my next listen, fully confident it was on my wishlist at Hoopla as read by Nadia May. Alas, it’s been pulled for whatever reason. Casting around for a free version of the book I ended up at Librivox where it’s read by Ruth Golding and both she and the quality of the recording are very good indeed; if it weren’t for the Librivox bumpers at the beginning and end of each chapter it would pass for Audible, etc.

Kind of a bummer about Hoopla, though. I operated on the assumption that what was there would always be there.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #3319
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The “classics” have been going down well with me lately. I finished Far from the Madding Crowd as read by Jamie Parker; he’s good, while the book which I remembered only barely isn’t my favorite Hardy but certainly enjoyable. Now I’d like to see how the movie version with Julie Christie and Alan Bates holds up, but I’m cheap about such things (as in, I’m not willing to pay anything at all). Oh, well.
YouTube is your friend.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #3320
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
YouTube is your friend.
Fantastic! Thank you!
Old 10-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #3321
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Fantastic! Thank you!
You're welcome. It's incredible what's available. All the Joan of Arc films I watched were free on YouTube.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #3322
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Quote:
YouTube is your friend.
Quote:
Fantastic! Thank you!
Quote:
You're welcome. It's incredible what's available. All the Joan of Arc films I watched were free on YouTube.
It's annoying that it's only available for free in SD, but useful none the less. A good site to see what's available (and at what cost), is: Just Watch.

Note: This site works for a whole range of countries, including Canada, US, and UK.

Last edited by CRussel; 10-09-2022 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Realized more countries were available.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #3323
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It's annoying that it's only available for free in SD, but useful none the less. A good site to see what's available (and at what cost), is: Just Watch.

Note: This site works for a whole range of countries, including Canada, US, and UK.
I never much care if something's not in HD when it's free!

With Roku, I can search across channels; that's what I usually start out with. YouTube requires a separate search, though.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #3324
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I find myself less and less willing to watch SD content. There's still not all that much 4K content, but at least HD looks good on a 4K TV. But SD content doesn't really look all that great. But I get it -- YMMV.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:11 PM   #3325
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Oh, I’ll have to take a look back at your post, then, when I’m in the mood for something to watch. Occasionally I watch something on Internet Archive; there may be some overlap.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #3326
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Thanks, Charlie. Very useful. I’m generally limited to Hoopla and Prime because free, but this will let me eliminate stuff.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:50 PM   #3327
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished The Oak Apple by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Book for of the Morland Dynasty. Another historical fiction book!

Had to have ghost stories for October so now on Classic Tales of Ghosts and Vampires (first one) compiled from a variety of authors produced by Garrick Hagon and The Story Circle. Has a variety of narrators -I'm on story 4 and they've all been excellent so far. Here are the stories and authors if interested:
Spoiler:

"The Upper Berth" by F. Marion Crawford
"Was it a Dream?" by Guy de Maupassant
"An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce
"The Lost Ghost" by Mary E. Wilkins-Freeman
"Man-Size in Marble" by E. Nesbit
"Dracula's Guest" by Bram Stoker
"Luella Miller" by Mary E. Wilkins-Freeman
"The Phantom Coach" by Amelia B. Edwards
"The Moonlit Road" by Ambrose Bierce
"For the Blood Is the Life" by F. Marion Crawford
"The Signalman" by Charles Dickens
"The Shadow" by E. Nesbit
"The Damned Thing" by Ambrose Bierce
"The Bodysnatcher" by Robert Louis Stevenson
"The Vampyre" by John Polidori
"The Statement of Randolph Carter" by H.P. Lovecraft

Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #3328
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh, I’ll have to take a look back at your post, then, when I’m in the mood for something to watch. Occasionally I watch something on Internet Archive; there may be some overlap.
Internet Archive is especially good for film noir.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:19 PM   #3329
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Internet Archive is especially good for film noir.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve used it mostly for silents.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #3330
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
While waiting for this month's Audible credit, I grabbed a 3 book series of novellas (novellae?) from the Plus catalog by John Scalzi. From Book 1 (The Dispatcher):
Quote:
One day, not long from now, it becomes almost impossible to murder anyone—999 times out of a thousand, anyone who is intentionally killed comes back. How? We don’t know. But it changes everything: war, crime, daily life.
The premise is stupid. But mercifully, Scalzi makes no effort whatsoever to explain how/why the phenomenon occurs. What follows are hardboiled mysteries narrated by Zachary Quinto that exploit that stupid premise in order to present unique plot devices that, quite frankly, worked for me. Quinto's narration helped sell the stories.

The Dispatcher
Murder by Other Means
Travel by Bullet

If you're looking for something to hold you over between credits, they're quick and easy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations