Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #16
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Well put scotty1024!

The main thing we should not forget is that the Reader was created for Connect book sales. When you read the Reader manual, every reference to it is by the term "Connect Reader". Meaning books is it's main purpose. Every funtionality that would point to an other market is not of prime importance in it's design.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugubot
If this is a thread about the NEXT generation of Sony's reader, why are people requesting new features for the current edition? Assuming that Sony has finite resources, it is more likely that it will save new features for the new machine rather than work on improving the old model.
When Microsoft release a new version of Windows CE, I don't have to go out and buy a new Pocket PC; I can re-flash the ROM of my current HP iPaq Pocket PC and gain the features of the new version.

I would sincerely hope that Sony will add such things as a hierarchical file system and make that available on the current Reader. Absolutely no technical reason this couldn't and shouldn't be done.

If course if they change the hardware - eg add a touch screen, colour, WiFi, or whatever, one would have to buy a "next generation" machine to take advantage of the new hardware, but simple software changes would, I hope, be made available to people who've bought the older machines.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #18
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Remember the Osborn II? It was the first portable (CP/M) computer for business. The Osborn I sold like hot cakes and had a majority of the market. They announced the new II version and sales dried up on the I so much that the one product company went out of business.

Now just a few months after launch the President (Managing Director) of Sony starts telling what will be in the next version. Heck, by this time we all know that there will be a next version of any good product. We just didn't expect it so soon.

What will happen is that those people that just can't live without the new features will get a new unit and then unload their current unit to someone else who likes and wants a Sony Reader but just can't see paying $350 for it. There will be a nice aftermarket for the Reader -- perhaps in these forums.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #19
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
What will happen is that those people that just can't live without the new features will get a new unit and then unload their current unit to someone else who likes and wants a Sony Reader but just can't see paying $350 for it.
Exactly, there is no way I'm paying another $350 for at least another 2 years. I still need to get a new cell phone and PDA.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #20
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Firstly, Sony is sticking firmly to their plans to create a market for e-books. According to Stringer, U.S. sales of the Sony Reader is better than expected. And what's more: Sales of downloadable e-books are exceeding the sales of music on Sony's online Connect Store. Who would have known!
I know I'm a contrarian, but can't this also be interpreted as "sales of music suck so bad that even the e-books are outselling us?"

Downloadable music is a crowded market, and even Zune seems to have more defenders than Connect.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #21
Peaston Ewe
RunSton-Run
Peaston Ewe began at the beginning.

Device: Waiting for a Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
I am not very keen on wireless either (wireless = high power consumption). But a new Reader may include other improvements... who knows, perhaps with a newer E Ink screen, or a better keyboard layout?
I agreed wholeheartedly. The Reader is designed specifically to READ ! and it has done well there. The control(s) are something I hope to see huge improvement upon. E-Ink is a beauty to be hold and it's just the beginning and so was the original Lightsaber ! ha!
Peaston Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #22
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Both touch screen and wireless would be great additions, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Plus an SDK of course so that we can do better things than Sony...

On an unrelated note, the Zune really is pretty cool. Yes, I work for MSFT, but I'm not a zealot (I have Windows PCs at home, as well as a Mac (overrated, IMO - sheesh, you can't even seem to copy/move/delete two files in parallel, or maybe I'm just stupid) and a Linux server (which is where those published rss2book feeds live :-) ). I own a Zen Vison M, my wife has an iPod. But I got to play with a Zune for a few days and it has a great UI, fantastic screen, and excellent sound. If MSFT opened it up to developers it would make a pretty good e-book reader! The music sharing things doesn't interest me, but having wifi in the device nontheless offers a lot of potential for interesting updates in the future. I think a lot of criticism of Zune is ill-informed knee-jerk Microsoft bashing, which is something I've never liked even in my pre-MSFT days when I was a hardcore FreeBSD guy.

Last edited by geekraver; 01-09-2007 at 12:05 PM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #23
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
High book sales are excellent news. Hopefully that will lead to better Connect software/store support and more selection.

Who says they can't have two versions out? The PRS-500 as a base model, with a mild price reduction, and then a higher model with the wireless and whatever else they decide to throw on it which is more expensive.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There is a bad side to high book sales as they are; they will be prompted to maintain their high prices!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #25
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
There is a bad side to high book sales as they are; they will be prompted to maintain their high prices!
For now. If it looks like an easily herded cash cow then others will push harder to get in on it.

'Course, then that leads to over-saturation, shoddy sites and bad experiences but then eventually it would settle out leaving the ones that actually end up being supported by sales and traffic.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #26
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
What exactly is the surprise here????? Of course they will release a new version.
As most of the current owners pointed out there are a lot of issues and shortcomings.
It is obvious that they will fix some of them and release a new version ASAP. WiFi is just a simple obvious incremental imrpovement to the hardware. The version 1.0 of anything always has a very short lifespan. What is the problem here?????

WiFi is one of those things that you ignore and think little about it until you try it and realize how useful it really is. Of course, at home using wires once in a blue moon is bot a big deal. Even so it is tiring. Especially dealing with the cables that never stay in place, and cats play with and pull out, and kids pull out, and .... Of course, you can never find the right cable when you need it.

Also when you are on the move, like someone mentioned a coffee shop, you probably don't have a cable handy and/or won't bother. Now for books it is clear that WiFi is not important. You donwload them once per month at most. Fine.

Reader is for reading any content, not just books. I could read newspapers, magazines, etc. Say you visit the bookstore and wish to purchase a couple of magazines. We do it all the time, right. Turns out the store has a 20% discount for eMagazines. You just bring your reader to the cash register, punch in magazine codes and use WiFi to download to the reader, pay and go. Common sense. After all we simply throw away paper after reading them, so why bother with paper??? The key missing feature for this use case is WiFi.

Sure color is also necessary, but that will come too. For daily black and white news papers the current reader is fine. Just needs WiFi.

Regarding battery drain, it can be fixed by having a simple button to enable/disable WiFi. I have it on my laptop. Simple.

So yes, WiFi is super-cool feature to add. Still, I hope and assume that most of the effort will go into fixing the issues with the current version and WiFi is just a bonus.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
I know I'm a contrarian, but can't this also be interpreted as "sales of music suck so bad that even the e-books are outselling us?"
That's the first thing I thought of, too. Sure, Connect Tunes isn't doing as well as iTunes is... no one is. So, saying their e-books are outselling their tunes may not be saying much. Still, it is positive progress for Connect Books.

I wouldn't have expected an announcement on a new reader this soon, either... seems to be way too soon. On the other hand, I always knew Sony was actively feeling the market out, and would be making hardware changes based on responses to the first reader. As long as they continue to support the first reader, I don't think it's a big deal. If they continue to offer the first reader, and discount it... even better. But if they snub the early-adopters... I wouldn't want to be in the path of that s**t-storm.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #28
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina
It seems like bad business sense for Sony to announce a new reader. This cannot help sales of the PRS-500. Why would anyone buy the PRS-500 knowing that a new and improved product is on the way. Right now I am very satisfied with my reader. There would have to be significant improvements for this new reader to make me interested in buying it. Of course if Sony would offer a discounted price for those of us who already have purchased the PRS-500 I might consider getting the new model.
Interesting but after what we paid of this thing? Although I would love to see improvements, I can't see dishing out more money on another. Actually this is doing the exact purpose I got it for. Read my books that I have acquired <cough cough>
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #29
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
They said sometime this year. For all we know it might come out after Thanksgiving, a year plus after the first version.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #30
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
The Sony report is great news, as they consider the product a success it will have a future!

The interest in the UK for this device is very high, based on feedback from people who've seen mine and my relatives'.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote