Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
woodmill
woodmill began at the beginning.

Device: No idea!
A lost Aussie needs help!

I have been pondering buying a Kindle for around a month now but finally sat down yesterday to start researching it.

It all seems good with the exception of the books available to me in Australia.

I have read on here someone suggesting registering your Kindle in the UK (where I am from and still have credit card) and using a VPN so that your computer fools Amazon into thinking you are in the UK and therefore obtaining access to more books.

I can do this although it is a bit of a faff.

I have also been looking at the Sony.

Will all readers have the same problem I am faced with Amazon and the kindle or are other readers giving access to more on-line stores?

I am not looking for anything fancy. Just being able to switch on and read my trashy chic books!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! Be gentle - I am not computer savvy at all!
woodmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Hi there fellow Aussie...

Welcome to MobileRead...

It doesn't matter which reader you get, geographical restriction apply to e-books, not the readers.

I have a Kindle 2 international, and I absolutely love it. The price is fairly cheap, and buying from Amazon you get it sooner, than if you bought a unit from Australia. Mine was here within 5 days which included a weekend and a public holiday.

I love the fact that I can download a free sample of a book before I buy it. The Whispernet is very convinient, and I often get a book from Amazon instead of Smashwords for that reason... Amazon charges a $2 whispernet fee for people outside the US, but other than that you don't pay for access, and you don't need your computer to get books/samples.

Amazon also has an excellent customer service. If something is wrong with your kindle within warranty period, they'll send you a new one, and after you receive it, you send the 'wrong' one back.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
woodmill

Hi there

Thank you for your answer!

So I take it you just bought from Amazon US? When I go to their site it gives me a link to a special page for Australia but I take it I just continue with the US purchase?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmill View Post
It all seems good with the exception of the books available to me in Australia.

I have read on here someone suggesting registering your Kindle in the UK (where I am from and still have credit card) and using a VPN so that your computer fools Amazon into thinking you are in the UK and therefore obtaining access to more books.
I'm not sure that the UK have a greater selection of books available. Plus you'd probably end up getting slugged a little extra for VAT.

A quick check on Amazon shows 369 thousand books for Australia, 372 thousand for the UK and 504 thousand for the US.

Quote:
I have also been looking at the Sony.

Will all readers have the same problem I am faced with Amazon and the kindle or are other readers giving access to more on-line stores?
They'll all have the some problem, and Amazon seem to be a bit more active about getting overseas rights than some of the other bookstores.

The big thing about Amazon vs everyone else is that Amazon sell only their own format, and in the main the Kindle can only read this format. A lot of the other readers support Epub format, and most of the non-Amazon stores sell Epub.

So it's a choice between Kindle + the Amazon store only, or another reader + all the other stores. I suspect for non-US customers Amazon > all the others put together (in terms of range), but this may change.

hope this helps!
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmill View Post

So I take it you just bought from Amazon US? When I go to their site it gives me a link to a special page for Australia but I take it I just continue with the US purchase?
You buy from the Aussie page on the US site. The version that they send here doesn't come with the plug-in charger, because we have different plugs and voltages here. So the Aussie version comes with a USB cable for charging instead. That's why you need to buy off the right page (at least that's how I understand it).

Once you have the device there's no need to have a separate account with a telco so that you can download books either, as that's built into the price you pay for the book in Australia. I'm not sure who they have an arrangement with here, but there may be locations where the reception is an issue. It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem though. Anywhere you get reasonable mobile coverage would probably be OK.

The Amazon range actually seems pretty good for Australia now. I don't have a Kindle, but I do have the Kindle for Windows and Mac software so that I can read their books on my computers. The only hassle I've had is the usual difficulty of sharing any content with your friends, in the way you might do with a regular book. But they pretty much all have similar restrictions.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by ChrisC333; 04-26-2010 at 02:21 AM.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
The best value Ebook reader at present for Aussies is the International Kindle + Amazon store at around AU$300 inc airmail.
The other option if you want epub capability and be able to purchase from ebook stores around the world is the Iriver Story now being sold by Harvey Norman stores for AU$399.
Have a look at the ebooks for offer at the Oz ebookstore readwithoutpaper.com where all the ebooks are available to Aussies. Also Whsmith ebook store in the UK has most ebooks available to Aussies(some are UK only).
If they sell what you like you may consider the Iriver Story. If you are happy with the Kindle store offerings you might consider the Kindle instead.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:12 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Woodmill. There are many Oz members here. I'd suggest you seek their advice before choosing which reader is for you. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
By the way, Woodmill, there's a *Kindle in Australia* thread running herehttps://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23479:
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
woodmill

Cheers guys. Thank you for your help. Will read all of this again when the children are in bed and I have some peace!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Did you see our online store here?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #11
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Hi and welcome to MR fellow ozzie.
Keep on a-trawling through the forums in here and you should make a decision eventually. I did. I went for the Sony because I thought it would support all the formats I was interested in. And it was pretty.

Well you gotta admit if you spend as much time in bed with a reader as I do its gotta look good. You can't really close your eyes can you? (that is why the Kindle and iRiver were not seriously considered) Apologies to the Kindle and iRiver lovers out there, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I did not behold that white beauty. anyhoo -

Go with something that will do what you want it to at a price you are prepared to pay. If you wait something better will always come along and you will be readerless in the meantime.

Good Luck
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR.

As previously mentioned: geographical restrictions apply to books, not the device.

I have a Sony PRS600 and am very happy with it. I have to do a bit of searching to find books I want to read, but at least I am not tied to Amazon only. I have found a few ways around the geo restrictions and so far have gotten most of the books I want.

Good luck finding the right device for you. Btw : I imported my Sony from the US, using a mail forwarding company. All up it cost way less than any reader available here in Australia and I happily spent the saved money on books. :-)
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
woodmill

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

I had noticed how expensive the Australian makes are!

I am becoming more drawn to the Sony now but will still research.

Thanks for the tip regarding sending over from the US. Much appreciated!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
woodmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Did you see our online store here?
I hadn't but will have a look. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I noticed the other week that bookdepository.co.uk (not .com) sell ereaders now. The prices shipped to Australia are very very good. That might be a good path for you. Unfortunately places where you can buy ereaders in Australia are very very expensive, you save alot by going to the US. Astak are a great company to deal with in the US, and they sell and fully support international customers.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote