Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
No flash on iPad or iPhone? So? We'll get silverlight...

Those familiar with Steve Jobs' position on flash on the iPad and iPhone have probably been wondering how they will get their streaming video (or Bloons). I too was wondering about this, and a quick google search turned up this article about how Microsoft worked with Apple to bring Silverlight to the iPhone last November. Since they've done this, it seems very likely the new version (4.0) of the iPhone OS safari browser will have a plugin architecture at least good enough to support Silverlight.

I was a bit surprised a while back when, after years of futzing around with the DRM components of Windows Media Player, Netflix developers discovered that they could far more easily use Microsoft's Silverlight technology to stream videos on the Mac securely and with very little effort.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'd say it sounds likely we'll have a good streaming video solution for the iPad.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I doubt it, but it's possible. Jobs is acting more and more bizarrely, and just like he bans from the Apple Store all books from publishers of unauthorized Jobs biographies, he can go with Bing on the iPhone to spite Google, and Silverlight on the iPad to spite Adobe.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Here in the UK Rupert Murdoch's Sky television uses Silverlight to stream TV content to subscribers online. A Sky TV App for iPhone came out in November last year, works over WiFi and 3G.

And as an aside, Murdoch's News Corporation is a major shareholder in Hulu...

So you may not have to hold your breath that long after all

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I doubt it, but it's possible. Jobs is acting more and more bizarrely, and just like he bans from the Apple Store all books from publishers of unauthorized Jobs biographies, he can go with Bing on the iPhone to spite Google, and Silverlight on the iPad to spite Adobe.
If true, that publisher thing is stupid of Jobs.

And I hate Bing. Hopefully there is user choice on that.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
That would be even worse than Flash so I hope it's not true. I don't think it's very likely anyway.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Perhaps this thread should be renamed: "It's an Apple, so we'll put up with any crap they want to lumber us with" seems about right.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
fizzwinkus
Rookie
fizzwinkus began at the beginning.

Device: Philips Nino500, Palm 500, Palm 3c, Palm Vx, PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad
having used silverlight for netflix, it uses a fraction of the cpu flash does, and with higher quality video too.

that said, silverlight on the iphone actually uses html5 - the standard apple, google, firefox, etc have been backing.
fizzwinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Perhaps this thread should be renamed: "It's an Apple, so we'll put up with any crap they want to lumber us with" seems about right.
Yeah, I definitely think Silverlight is of much higher quality than flash. And not because I love Microsoft any more than Adobe - trust me.

Last edited by nikkie; 02-21-2010 at 05:55 AM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Uhm, there really shouldn't be a significant difference in PQ between Flash and Silverlight. It was most likely the encoding. BTW. nowadays both support H.264.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwinkus View Post
... that said, silverlight on the iphone actually uses html5 - the standard apple, google, firefox, etc have been backing.
Well, except that Apple supports (the proprietary) H.264, while Firefox supports the open source Ogg Theora. And HTML5 supports the standard that there is no standard for video.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
fizzwinkus
Rookie
fizzwinkus began at the beginning.

Device: Philips Nino500, Palm 500, Palm 3c, Palm Vx, PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad
if h.264 being not-open source is a problem, flash should be a problem as well.
h.264, as proprietary as it is, is a standard that everyone is working with - a standard as defined by the mpeg group, not a single company.
fizzwinkus is offline   Reply With Quote