Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Wnen will Barnes and Nobles go out of business?
Within 1 year 6 5.08%
1 to 5 years 18 15.25%
5 to 10 years 13 11.02%
10 to 20 years 11 9.32%
Never 70 59.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #46
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
When? Never. Why? Look at their financial reports. They make money. The physical stores might not be around forever, but there will be some, and our internet presence will remain strong. Amazon is a profitable company, but honestly, it took them 10 years and a lot of expansion.

We're fine, we just might go private. The Riggios like control. :P

JF
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #47
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzykinz View Post
There is a vital point all of you seemed to have missed...

As of right now it is VERY hard to walk in to a coffee shop attatched to Amazon and sit down with your Mac, listen to Indie Rock and and sip on a grande-grande-double-shot-caramel-snobby-upper-middle-american-latte all while looking down upon everybody else in the room.

So until Amazon can find a way to attach a horrible coffee shop to themselves somehow... BN has a great advantage.
I don't think B&N will go under any time soon, but toe fair you can go to Starbucks or a similar establishment and sit, drink your latte, listen to whoever, and shop Amazon.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 AM   #48
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
There's barely any bookstores left any more. B&N is literally the only new book store in my city of 40,000 people. Both Waldenbooks stores closed up years ago.

There's also not a Borders in the nearby cities. I think there are maybe 2 independent bookstores in the nearby cities. I'm pretty sure I would have to drive over an hour to find a Borders or the like.

So...I don't think B&N is going anywhere. Unless people stop buying books. And that isn't going to happen any time soon.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I hope B&N is around for a long time to come, as well as the mom & pop bookstores. Barnes and Noble has a great selection, and a wonderful atmosphere.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #50
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I don't think going out of business is the same as considering a sale.

B&N are looking for new owners, they're not filing for bankruptcy. (And even that wouldn't necessarily mean going out of business.)
This "strategic option" is an indicator of trouble brewing within the company, and with outside shareholders. They will probably have to shrink their foot print and get more disciplined on capital, which means the fledgling ebook business will probably be orphaned. Eventually, they will probably have to shut down entirely within 5 yrs.

If nook is successful it'll take away volume needed to scale the bricks and mortar stores. If the nook isn't successful they are still screwed, but just won't be cannibalizing themselves...someone else will just take ebook their business.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #51
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedifarfy View Post
When? Never. Why? Look at their financial reports. They make money. The physical stores might not be around forever, but there will be some, and our internet presence will remain strong. Amazon is a profitable company, but honestly, it took them 10 years and a lot of expansion.

We're fine, we just might go private. The Riggios like control. :P

JF

in one of my older posts i do a financial breakdown of the company and find that although they make accounting profits...they do not make economic profits since they don't cover the cost of capital. this means they r better investing in the S&P 500 then reinvesting in their biz in the long term.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #52
markbot
Guru

WSJ: B&N Pines for a Storybook Ending

Barnes and Noble's stock just hit a new low. It is down 50% in 3 weeks.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...EYWORDS=barnes

My 5 yr prediction is so far on pace.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #53
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Wall Street after 2008 reduced itself to a brewery of rumours and speculations. Anything and everything can bring down anybody's stock. Supercomputers that execute hundreds of trades in a fraction of a second are the kings of our stock market today. Hence, I wouldn't rely much on stock pricing as a reflection of the future of the company.
I had both B&N and Borders near where I lived, before Borders closed their store. There's hardly 15 minutes in any hour of any day that that B&N store is opened that doesn't have a line in front of their faux Starbucks counter. A decent line in front of the cashier counter as well. I don't think B&N is going away any time soon. Not all printed content can be digitized, nor can experience with prints be replicated by digital. They also proved to me that they are listening to their customers by lowering price on a title that I consider buying as a nook book that I previously saw cheaper as a kindle book. It wasn't immediate but it was done.
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n