Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Toshiba Biblio e-reader

Biblio e-reader

Quote:
With its nice 3.5” FWVGA++ (480x960), featuring 7GB of internal memory, Wi-Fi Win (Wi-Fi), a 5.1Mpix camera module, and an electronic dictionary module.

Looks just like a phone ( is it a phone? ) with ebook reading software.

Last edited by Catire; 05-26-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Changed Image
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Sure looks like a phone to me. The headline reads "Toshiba Biblio, the Japanese 3G Kindle Hands-on", and to me it looks like a phone first + book reader application while the Kindle is a book reader first + phone/cellular. In the photos showing what I presume is Japanese, it looks like a very good sized screen for reading that language. To be comfortable reading English, you'd have to rotate the device to landscape. Also noticed that some sites say "3G" for networking and others say "Wi-Fi". I wonder which it is ... or both?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Hi Guys,
It is a phone with the AU network. This is the second handset to support their EBookReader software. One curious thing is that it used the XMDF format which is developed by Sharp, on a Toshiba handset. I should consider their acceptance of a current format rather than forcing a new proprietary format good, but I struggle with this since I have some XMDF books on my Sharp Zaurus which I would very much like to read on my Sony Reader but cannot because of the DRM.

Regards,
Marcus
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
It looks very nice with 5MP camera and other features but... can we name Blackberry device "e-reader" just because it can be used for ebooks reading? I don't think so.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I've been reading ebooks on my WinMo phones, and before that Palm PDA's for YEARS now. I've only recently dropped any dinar on dedicated readers.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
To be comfortable reading English, you'd have to rotate the device to landscape. Also noticed that some sites say "3G" for networking and others say "Wi-Fi". I wonder which it is ... or both?
Hi Elsi,
I think in landscape mode it would resemble one of the old Psion organizers, but I doubt the keyboard will be as rugged. My experience with mobile handsets here in Japan is that they are not designed to survive as much harsh treatment as US or European phones.

The handset has both 3G and Wi-Fi. It is by a 3G mobile handset, but when you are in range of a Wi-Fi spot, such as at home, you can switch on the Wi-Fi and use that to download content without incurring packet-data charges.

Regards,
Marcus
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
I saw an ad for this device in a Japanese magazine and it looks really good! It had a url at the bottom that lead me to this ad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biblio_scan.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	33862  
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote