Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Design the ultimate 505 leather cover and I will manufacture

Let me explain. Ok, for years I have been using a company in India to produce custom leather jackets and other leather items. After buying my Sony Reader, whilst being very happy with the reader I was not overly impressed with the tan cover. If you drop it the cover fly’s open and it gets damaged. I should know that’s what I did whilst chasing my son.

What I propose, is that between the Sony 505 sections of this community, that if we collectively design maybe 5 different reader cover types, “glove like the silicone case” but in leather and also covers with pockets etc I will contact this company and put them in production.

I am not interested in profit only to make available decent custom covers for people who have the 505. This company can get 100’s of different colours of leather and even put custom names and logos on.

What next: Well I’m not designer and am not very good with technical drawing. What I need is for someone to design the cover on a PDF with clear instructions so they can manufacture. Then what I suggest is we vote on best cover and I will produce. When I have the final designs I can get quotes from this company. I would advice to design them so we do not have to clip them in with the plastic thing as that will incur cost. I’m sure there are other ways to secure reader.

Ok, what do you think? Can we between us produce the best cover for the 505 on the market?

Last edited by kevinofengland; 10-23-2008 at 06:49 AM.
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofengland View Post
Let me explain. Ok, for years I have been using a company in India to produce custom leather jackets and other leather items. After buying my Sony Reader, whilst being very happy with the reader I was not overly impressed with the tan cover. If you drop it the cover fly’s open and it gets damaged. I should know that’s what I did whilst chasing my son.

What I propose, is that between the Sony 505 sections of this community, that if we collectively design maybe 5 different reader cover types, “glove like the silicone case” but in leather and also covers with pockets etc I will contact this company and put them in production.

I am not interested in profit only to make available decent custom covers for people who have the 505. This company can get 100’s of different colours of leather and even put custom names and logos on.

What next: Well I’m not designer and am not very good with technical drawing. What I need is for someone to design the cover on a PDF with clear instructions so they can manufacture. Then what I suggest is we vote on best cover and I will produce. When I have the final designs I can get quotes from this company. I would advice to design them so we do not have to clip them in with the plastic thing as that will incur cost. I’m sure there are other ways to secure reader.

Ok, what do you think? Can we between us produce the best cover for the 505 on the market?
I have to say, I like the tan cover. I have drawn a graphic on the cover of mine with perm pens - just becuase both myself and I both have a 505, and if we put them down, I could not tell which was hers and which was mine. I like the magnet 'keep it closed' design, and the way that you can hold it book style. Its also nice and thin.

In terms of an ultimate design, it would be a question of two things...

1) Is it a replacement cover or a cover for the existing cover
2) If its a replcament cover, do you want it to stay attached to the book, or com away when in use.

For me, to deal with drops, I would suggest a cover cover. In which case, you are looking at an enverlope type cover, with three sides (as deep as the book is with the existing cover), and a forth side open to slide the book into and out of. I guess just in case of slippage/drops, you might want to think of maybe a flap to hold the book inside nice and secure.

However, the only benifit would be dropability, and I am not sure how much extra protection it would add.

I like the idea of logos, different colours etc, as it means you could tell your book from others. However, I sorted this out with 3 different colours of perm pens and 5 minutes.

Unless it was a hard cover for travel protection, cant see any additional benifit myself.

However, others will clearly have a different view. And dont forget that Sony already do a range of covers (with lights, black/grey colours, etc). Good luck anyway.
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

I also was happ with the tan cover untill i droped it. Still like it but at the moment I using the lightwedge cover, it's heavy but it always seems to be dark in my house due to the wife not liking light. Not sure if she is a Gremlin or not

This company can make any design we wish, padded, protective or "glove like" slip on skin. We could have pockets for memory cards a pen, credit cards....
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
... it always seems to be dark in my house due to the wife not liking light. Not sure if she is a Gremlin or not
I hear you on that. My wife has replaced any lightbulbs we have with the super-every-efficent, not-worth-switching-on as they take 10 minutes before you can see what you are doing, light bulbs. Plus she moans when I put any main light on, prefering to have side lights on which cast bugger all light (and the heat level set to inferno).

I am sure my wife is trying to trun me into a bat. I am just looking out for an ebook that I can read through the sonic churps I have started to develop.
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Sounds like you are describing the m-edge leisure cover.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

That’s nice but I was thinking of leather actually covering most of the reader. Maybe in different textures and patterned fine leather? Kind of like a skin it type cover but in leather.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
rlanger
rlanger began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Hi All,

First post, but I've been lurking for a few weeks now.

May I suggest that we begin by brainstorming some features to help those who would be inclined to design a mock-up?

Here are a few things that I would like to see:

1. Padded stylish cover similar to this
2. Uses similar mounting system to Sony's cover
3. Pockets, pockets, pockets (especially for biz cards and boarding passes)
4. Some type of snap enclosure (as opposed to a simple loop like the MEdge Executive, or no enclosure like the Sony)
5. Sony name/logo on the front would be nice but not essential

Regards,

Rob

PS, I haven't read as much in my entire life since I got my PRS-505. It really makes reading a joy. I've always hated fighting with pages when holding a book 1-handed or struggling with font sizes that are too small.

The PRS eliminates those problems completely.
rlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm intrigued by this. I don't have a 505, just a 500, but if this is something viable for the 505, maybe it can work for the 700 (that's probably the device I'll be getting for my wife soon).

Anyway, what about a separate zippered/snapped section, very thin, with pockets for business cards, sd cards, a pen, and maybe a notepad. The section could be on "top" with padding on the "back" that would be on the screen side of the ebook.

That would allow for carrying a lot of useful stuff while protecting the screen, and the overall device.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I am currently very happy with the LightWedge cover but I have tried quite a few different covers and I am still not completely happy with any of them. Here are what I have looked for in the ultimate cover.

1) a rigid insert sewn in the front cover to provide total screen protection. I have found 1/8" plastic is quite rigid and lighter than the metal inserts I have tried.

2) Plenty of pockets ranging from SD/MS sizes to business/credit card sizes to generic pockets for notes. Adding a clear ID pocket would be nice as well.

3) a full zipper closure to allow the Reader to remain free of debris and moisture.

4) Pad the inside to provide protection in case of drops.

5) Standard Sony mounting hardware, if possible.

6) External zipped pocket for general storage of small items such as earbuds.

Just my 2¢
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #10
rlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
3) a full zipper closure to allow the Reader to remain free of debris and moisture.
I like this idea a lot - much better than a snap enclosure. I really want the cover just for protection when I'm not reading, because I enjoy using the reader naked (sans cover, not in my birthday suit)
Old 10-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
I like this idea a lot - much better than a snap enclosure. I really want the cover just for protection when I'm not reading, because I enjoy using the reader naked (sans cover, not in my birthday suit)
My favorite homebrew cover (as seen below) had all of these options except the Sony connector and required Velcro to attach the Reader. If it was a bit wider, I could have inserted the Sony stock cover into the inside slot on the right side but, alas, it did not work. I got a Skin for my Reader so I had to remove the Velcro and I am using the LightWedge cover instead. It was nice soft leather too. Maybe a cover for the LightWedge cover that has all of the above requested items? That I would love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GeorgeCover01.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	17282   Click image for larger version

Name:	GeorgeCover03.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	17283   Click image for larger version

Name:	GeorgeCover02.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	17284  
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

Light Wedge slip cover

Here is a rough design for a slip cover that could go over the light wedge cover. As I mentioned before, I cannot draw so if this or a similar design is to go into production I would need some one better than I to draw with correct measurements etc.

In my opinion the light wedge cover is quite heavy so I would not think this cover would need to be padded maybe felt lined? Would people use this cover just for travelling or all the time? If all the time I would not think a zip is required, maybe just a tab with a press stud on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	505lightcovercover.gif
Views:	444
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	17296  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
rlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
My favorite homebrew cover (as seen below) had all of these options except the Sony connector and required Velcro to attach the Reader. If it was a bit wider, I could have inserted the Sony stock cover into the inside slot on the right side but, alas, it did not work. I got a Skin for my Reader so I had to remove the Velcro and I am using the LightWedge cover instead. It was nice soft leather too. Maybe a cover for the LightWedge cover that has all of the above requested items? That I would love.
Yeah, that's really nice. I think it would be perfect if it were a little bit smaller (just slightly larger than the reader), and had the cover connector built in. Although with this style of case I'm not sure that it would be essential.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
rlanger

Quote:
Here is a rough design for a slip cover that could go over the light wedge cover. As I mentioned before, I cannot draw so if this or a similar design is to go into production I would need some one better than I to draw with correct measurements etc.

In my opinion the light wedge cover is quite heavy so I would not think this cover would need to be padded maybe felt lined? Would people use this cover just for travelling or all the time? If all the time I would not think a zip is required, maybe just a tab with a press stud on?
Hi Kev,

Not sure we would need all of those SD card pockets. Maybe one would be sufficient.

I think a clear business card pocket for ID purposes would be useful on the left hand side. I'm not sure I would keep my credit card in there, but some people might.

I like the pockets on the right side. useful for a lot things I think.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
Hi Kev,

Not sure we would need all of those SD card pockets. Maybe one would be sufficient.

I think a clear business card pocket for ID purposes would be useful on the left hand side. I'm not sure I would keep my credit card in there, but some people might.

I like the pockets on the right side. useful for a lot things I think.
That design is one that I will use as I think I may like to achieve via genre. I intend to get a few 256 meg cards as there quite cheap now and put in their own pocket, The company will d one offs for us so all designs can be produced. Like I said, I’m not in it for any profit I just need to cover costs.

I was roughly quoted £2.50 per cover So with postage and possible import tax I would guess we can get them for under £10.00 or $20.00 + any postage incurred from the UK to customer. They are coming from India and I normally get a package from them once a month which I can include the covers in and then send out from the U.K.

I would not use credit card pocket for credit card. I wold use for my Waterstones loyalty card i think.