Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
iPod Touch (formarly ITOUCH)

can anyone explain how you can read books on your itouch and what software you need please?
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
can anyone explain how you can read books on your itouch and what software you need please?
Look for iPhone in the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quick 'n dirty... a) jailbreak your touch, b) add the list of sources you can find at iPod Touch Fans forum, c) load up the Safari patch for loading local files and you're good-to-go! You can also d/l the ebook program too, but I only use mine for PDF's & comics.

Have fun!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
just to be, well, me...an iTouch is a keyboard made by Logitech in the last 90s...now the ipoD touCh is a different device all together, in fact is has no keyboard at all.

hehehehehe...just feeling goofy today, sorry...

EDIT: OH NOOOOO!! Ya changed the title...I was teasing ya dude...hope it did not come across wrong. I make the exact same gaff all the time. I always wondered why they did not call it the iTouch that is how I found the old Logitech name already in use...thus I am assuming it became the ipOd tOuch.

Last edited by brecklundin; 04-03-2008 at 05:03 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
I have an iphone and have done the following - think the same is applicable for the iTouch, though you should confirm this
1. Jailbreak the phone and install Open SSH and the BSD subsystem.
2. Install WinSCP on your PC.
3. Using Installer.app on your iPhone (this an app used to install stuff on a jailbroken phone), install the ebook reader (available in installer.app) on the iphone.
4. Use WinSCP to transfer ebook (txt) files to the iPhone.

Let me know if this help - mine works with no problems except for the formatting. Alternatively, there are webapps for the iPhone (and iTouch I guess) which allow you to upload a book to a website, and download it via safari onto the iphone.
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
joe_hannah
joe_hannah began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
hey i tried wat u said but how da hell do u use winscp to transfer stuff to the ipod touch???? i no im a total noob so plz HELP
joe_hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
toliman
toliman began at the beginning.

Device: O2 XDA II mini
depending on the sources you use in Installer.app, you will have the choice of 3 free eBook readers, and one very expensive commercial product. most all do support HTML, some have txt, some fb2, some PDF, PRC, etc. i leave it to you to research which uses what.

there's
1. Books (the original)
2. textReader
3. ruBooks
4. i2Reader

and to a lesser extent, Mail / Safari can also be used, for that Kindle-esque touch of mailing yourself ebooks on the go.
toliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
For those still looking into ebook options for the iPhone, manybooks.net has a nice breakdown. If you do not want to jailbreak your phone, you can download books as "bookmarklets" from some sites, including manybooks. Also, with the coming 2.0 firmware (supposed to be available in July), there is hope of ebook apps that will not require jailbreaking -- I know eReader has stated that they are working on porting their reader. I expect there will be others as well.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
chacal
chacal began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
To read .doc, xls, .pdf, etc. files, you must jailbreak your iPod Touch. Lifehacker keeps up on this subject and has good, encouraging entry about where to go and how to do this. Note: after jailbreaking, my 16 meg iPod Touch still runs ver. 1.1.4, with the Installer application.

After jailbreaking, you will see the Installer icon. This program updates every time you run it, and it installs games (iZoo), Docs (accesses and opens files to view in the Safari browser), and other tiny 3rd-party apps. Note that with the Installer come several utility applications that must be installed to Docs and other apps.

In order to sync or transfer your files (.docs,. pdfs) to your iPod Touch, the easiest way is to create a specific transfer folder on your computer to hold the files you want to place on the iPod Touch. I transferred files from my MacBook to the iPod Touch using DiskAid (Mac and PC freeware versions available). DiskAid is available at http://www.digidna.net/diskaid.

Finally, you run Docs and path to the location where you transferred the files. Click on a file and it opens in Safari. I've been able to read relatively large academic journal article pdfs that contain illustrations. Although a little slow to render, I am able to read the files, listen to music, or stop and surf the net while the .pdf still open in another window.

Good luck.
chacal is offline   Reply With Quote