Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
zegerman
zegerman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1Gen
Best Buy ?? (Carta, large Collection, Subdirectories)

Hi there,

Im an ebook addict since kindle hit the stores. Right now Im using a Paperwhite Gen1 (jailbreak, ixtab). I store all my ebooks (1k+) on that device in this order:

Thriller (home screen folder)
>> David Baldacci (1. subfolder, in which all "non series" books appear)
>>>> Camel Club (2. subfolder, only books from that series)
>>>> Maxwell/King (2. subfolder, only books from that series)

I manage my collection by extensive use of calibre and I really the way how everything is stored and easy to find with just a few swipes and fingertouches.

But my 2gig PW is filled up to the top and would like to buy a new ereader with a carta eink display, full calibre support (series+homebrew columns) and idealy a similar way of storing my files just the way im used to ("folder+subfolders"). I do not need a physical folder system, a software solution that offers a way to display the books not just by one folder (Baldacci) but by more folders underneath the "main" folder.

What device should I get (price doesnt matter) ?

Sorry for my english, I know there are quite a lot of "folders" in my thread - but that problem just kills me. Damn Amazon for their no longer jailbreakable Kindles

Klaus
zegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't think there is anything that meets your requirements. I think the closest are the Kobo devices. These allow collection management from calibre. The books can be put into folders, but these are not used by the interface. Someone has written a tool to generate collections from the folder structure, but I don't know how well it works.

The Kobo's to look at are probably the Aura H2O and Glo HD. The H2O has a 6.8" and 1430 x 1080 screen. It isn't Carta, but is still excellent and is waterproof if you read near the pool. The Glo HD has a 6", 1448 x 1072 Carta screen. Both have 4GB internal storage, with the H2O also having an external micro SD slot. Both have an internal micro SD card for the storage, so it is possible to open them and replace the card with a larger one.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 03:17 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The H2O has a 6.8" and 1430 x 1080 screen. It isn't Carta, but is still excellent and is waterproof if you read near the pool.
The H2O does have a Carta screen. It's the Aura HD that's Pearl.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The H2O does have a Carta screen. It's the Aura HD that's Pearl.
Yes, you're right. I'm sure I looked at the specs but maybe I opened the Aura HD specs twice.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #5
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
There is the newly announced PocketBook Touch Lux 3 that meets the requirements.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lux 3 has bad reviews. Why not just put 1gb of books into cloud storage to free up reader space and keep existing pw? At least until the new Kobo glo hd arrives in june
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The new Glo HD is coming out. It's got the best screen on the market, and is very competitively priced. Also it's a fairly open device, so it's probably your best bet. As you are in Germany you might also consider some of the open Android devices on the market (e.g. the Onyx and the Boyue). Obviously these are the best devices for organizing books via folder.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glo hd is June for uk. Don't know Germany date though
Old 04-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Lux 3 has bad reviews. Why not just put 1gb of books into cloud storage to free up reader space and keep existing pw? At least until the new Kobo glo hd arrives in june
Where did you see those bad reviews? Links, please.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...hes-in-europe/ is not very favorable
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:28 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
that is the one I saw, I was just about to post it but you already did.

today's edition of that site has more on the glo HD

PS Kobo continue to annoy me: google finds this, but I get no pre-order option at that link - it appears to not work unless you have a canadian IP. there is nothing about glo HD to be seen when I click that.
Kobo eBooks and eReaders
https://store.kobobooks.com/
Introducing Kobo Glo HD. Pre-order yours today!

& from my amazon tablet, with silk browser, I cannot even get to that page.

so there is no pre-order option for UK that I can find, and no country by country launch dates info

I have decided not to wait, & to treat myself to a Kindle Voyage ( same carta screen ) instead, as all the early fuss about uneven lighting seems to have died down.

Last edited by cybmole; 04-25-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:10 AM   #12
Zetmolm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Yes, I saw that one too, but that is not a review. It is just Nathan's opinion about how 'interesting' the device is. Perhaps it's not a revolutionary device, but, judging from my experience with the Touch Lux 2, it's quite a decent reader, very versatile, and it does exactly what the OP wants.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:12 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

i thought he wanted a recent screen, not some lo-res downgrade ?

"it replaces the Pearl E-ink screen with the next generation Carta screen (but not the high-res screen found on the Voyage and Kobo Glo HD),"

The screen has a resolution of 1024 x 758, compared with ~ twice as many pixels on the glo HD:
The Glo HD has a 6", 1448 x 1072 Carta screen

and the conclusion seems sound :
"All in all, this device is about as interesting as a wet balloon. I certainly don't see anything to make it worth getting. Instead, I'd suggest that you wait for the Kobo Glo HD. It's going to ship in another few weeks"
Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
Zetmolm
Guru

The OP asked about a Carta screen, nothing about high-res or low-res in that post. And the PB TL3 has a Carta screen. So it meets the OP's requirements.

But I admit that high-res is better, of course

Nathan may not be able to think of reasons why to buy the PocketBook, but I can. Just to name a few: native folder support, the possibility to install additional reading apps, including the almost perfect CoolReader, and advanced configurability. For me, this makes the PocketBook one of the most versatile readers available on this planet right now. But of course, it all depends on your priorities, and Nathan's priorities obviously are different than mine.

At least we've given the OP a couple of options to look into
Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #15
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
I would recommend (great screen and folder management):

1) Pocketbook Lux 3 (great for reading, adaptable)

If you like less options but still eInk carta and folder management:
2) Bookeen Cybook Muse Frontlight (contra: very bright frontlight but inverted screen helps with this)

If you like to fidle a lot with the system and want to use it not only for reading, an open Android system could be worth looking at, since is more flexible. But only if you don't care about batterylife (a week is still possible)
3) Energy System Ereader Pro + (Eink carta version comes out this summer)

Last edited by nhedgehog; 04-26-2015 at 08:55 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote