Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #181
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It arrived today. Won't get a chance to play with it until tomorrow.
8 hours battery life too.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #182
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
In other Words, I would be entirely dependent on Google to make it work.
No, you'd be entirely dependent on Google if you wanted to make it work with Google office apps.

But that makes sense, if you're keeping your data in Google apps, you're already entirely dependent on Google.

If all your documents were in Office format, and you were happy with the functionality available from the cloud versions, then you could use a Chromebook with SkyDrive or DropBox quite comfortably.

You'd still need a Google account to log into your Chromebook, but it would be perfectly useable after that just by using other cloud offerings.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #183
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
No updates to iTunes, Adobe Air, Java, security software, anti-virus, etc., or any other application that you're using?

No patches to the operating system or updates to later versions?
Well, almost nobody (including Apple) develops for PowerPC architecture anymore. So there aren't a lot of those updates you mention. And while you'd have to be suicidal to use a Windows OS that hasn't been patched since 2009, MacOS's security is such that you don't really need to update much more than your browser to be safe.

As for apps, it works perfectly with Google Docs applications, which get updated just as often as they would on any other system.

Updates on my newer Mac are relatively easy. Clicking "Update" when the box appears that informs me that there's a security update to my system isn't terribly difficult. But nothing forces me to upgrade OS versions, and the software works just fine without updates as well, so for a non-technical user, I suspect these would be non-issues.

But it is funny that you list anti-virus, iTunes and Java, as those things aren't supported with ChromeOS. So you avoid the issue of updating them by not including them at all.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #184
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
... So there aren't a lot of those updates you mention.
and

Quote:
.... when the box appears that informs me that there's a security update to my system isn't terribly difficult.
If you're happy with the process, that's fine. But there are those of us who appreciate that we don't have to do these things with the Chromebooks.

Quote:
But it is funny that you list anti-virus, iTunes and Java, as those things aren't supported with ChromeOS. So you avoid the issue of updating them by not including them at all.
Well, yes. But of those three your point is valid for Java - which ChromeOS refuses to support to maintain its security, but not for the other two.

For iTunes, read any app that you use on the Mac that needs periodic updates. The point being that you don't have those hassles with equivalent apps under ChromeOS.

For anti-virus, the system has defense built in from the ground up, so it is 'included' in that sense - you just don't have the hassle of updates.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 12-03-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #185
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Some people just don't get it. There are different computers, different solutions for different sets of needs.

A Chromebook is designed to address a particular usage/demographic. It is excellent at what it does. If it works for your needs use it. If you want a general purpose (or 5 year old computer) then be my guest.

To each his own.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #186
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
No, you'd be entirely dependent on Google if you wanted to make it work with Google office apps.

But that makes sense, if you're keeping your data in Google apps, you're already entirely dependent on Google.

If all your documents were in Office format, and you were happy with the functionality available from the cloud versions, then you could use a Chromebook with SkyDrive or DropBox quite comfortably.

You'd still need a Google account to log into your Chromebook, but it would be perfectly useable after that just by using other cloud offerings.

Graham
But as far as I am aware there is no MS Office available on Chrome. That is my main problem, I have years and years invested in those documents, and yes many of them are updated and editet on a regular Schedule. I've tried a few Android apps but they all mess up the formating so I have to go back and open them in Windows and format them again all over.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #187
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
But as far as I am aware there is no MS Office available on Chrome. That is my main problem, I have years and years invested in those documents, and yes many of them are updated and editet on a regular Schedule. I've tried a few Android apps but they all mess up the formating so I have to go back and open them in Windows and format them again all over.
Yep, and the google apps now seem to want to convert the .doc and .docx etc to their own format....unless I've missed something. I haven't tried this in a while now.

If you need to maintain the originals in the MS formats then it probably is not worth messing with.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #188
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Because there is so much knowledge in this thread, I'm going to go a little off-topic to ask a question that I couldn't find an answer for in the Google forum.

Is there any way to auto-fill the initial ChromeOS Google password?

Rationale: A relative with depression, short-term memory loss, and occasional episodes of anxiety, could really use the simplicity of ChromeOS (and so could her family support team). Except her problem on Windows has been that she compulsively changes her e-mail password, which she invariably forgets.

She's been through all sorts of password recovery options, including contacting Google, but eventually she runs out of chances and has to get a new e-mail address. And since she forgets any contacts' addresses, she can't alert her friends and relatives except via phone. She's given up on e-mail and is now more isolated, adding to her problems.

I realize that ChromeOS will come out of sleep and not require a password. But for those other times....

Thanks for considering.

Last edited by jj2me; 12-03-2013 at 08:17 AM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #189
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Well that's a different issue from the one you raised above where you asked whether ChromeDocs (which I took to mean Google Docs) could be used with DropBox.

Anyone who must maintain full compatibility with legacy Office format documents will, of course, still need acccess to a Windows machine. That's one of the reasons why none of us are recommending a ChromeOS device yet as your primary machine.

The options you currently have with Office format documents are to use Microsoft's Office365 web versions of the applications - which themselves don't give all the functionality of the desktop versions - or to open with a compatible third party solution.

Google's own solution is QuickOffice which it is in the process of baking into ChromeOS, but this is undoubtedly poor at preserving formatting, etc., at the moment. Definitely a work in progress.

However, the tools work reasonably well if you just need to read a legacy document (and can cope with some formatting glitches). It's for editing that you need to switch back to Windows.

Or move the document over to the Google format at that point, tidy up, and then you're fine for future editing.

Where I do need to return to Windows is for complex Excel sheets and applications that I'm mandated to run through work. I remote desktop into my old Windows netbook for this (as it's much quieter than my Windows desktop).

But for leisure, and a great deal of my work, I use my ChromeOS devices. The Chromebox coupled with the 23" monitor is a pleasure to use, and I genuinely do prefer using it now to my Windows i7 desktop.

Graham
Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #190
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Because there is so much knowledge in this thread, I'm going to go a little off-topic to ask a question that I couldn't find an answer for in the Google forum.

Is there any way to auto-fill the initial ChromeOS Google password?

Rationale: A relative with depression, short-term memory loss, and occasional episodes of anxiety, could really use the simplicity of ChromeOS (and so could her family support team). Except her problem on Windows has been that she compulsively changes her e-mail password, which she invariably forgets.

She's been through all sorts of password recovery options, including contacting Google, but eventually she runs out of chances and has to get a new e-mail address. And since she forgets any contacts' addresses, she can't alert her friends and relatives except via phone. She's given up on e-mail and is now more isolated, adding to her problems.

I realize that ChromeOS will come out of sleep and not require a password. But for those other times....

Thanks for considering.
I don't think so. The Chromebooks allow multiple user accounts linked to Google accounts so having the requirement to enter a Google password on reboot, even if set to be off on returning from sleep, is mandatory.

I'm wondering whether investing in Google Apps for Business might be the answer, thus providing her with a Google email address that you or another relative could administer?

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 12-03-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #191
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Well that's a different issue from the one you raised above where you asked whether ChromeDocs (which I took to mean Google Docs) could be used with DropBox.

Anyone who must maintain full compatibility with legacy Office format documents will, of course, still need acccess to a Windows machine. That's one of the reasons why none of us are recommending a ChromeOS device yet as your primary machine.

The options you currently have with Office format documents are to use Microsoft's Office365 web versions of the applications - which themselves don't give all the functionality of the desktop versions - or to open with a compatible third party solution.

Google's own solution is QuickOffice which it is in the process of baking into ChromeOS, but this is undoubtedly poor at preserving formatting, etc., at the moment. Definitely a work in progress.

However, the tools work reasonably well if you just need to read a legacy document (and can cope with some formatting glitches). It's for editing that you need to switch back to Windows.

Or move the document over to the Google format at that point, tidy up, and then you're fine for future editing.

Where I do need to return to Windows is for complex Excel sheets and applications that I'm mandated to run through work. I remote desktop into my old Windows netbook for this (as it's much quieter than my Windows desktop).

But for leisure, and a great deal of my work, I use my ChromeOS devices. The Chromebox coupled with the 23" monitor is a pleasure to use, and I genuinely do prefer using it now to my Windows i7 desktop.

Graham
Guess I didn't explain it properly. I have a ton of Office documents in Dropbox and it would be so convenient if I could open and edit them in Chrome, hence GoogleDocs, save them back to Dropbox and then distribute them as needed to clients that use Office.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #192
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
I'm wondering whether investing in Google Apps for Business might be the answer, thus providing her with a Google email address that you or another relative could administer?

Graham
Thanks so much, Graham. I'll look into this further, but it looks like this will be the answer, from this instruction for resetting a user's password. No one has ever given me an alternative before, so I'm very much appreciative.

Apologies to all for the slightly off-topic direction, but this thread just breathed with in-depth knowledge, so I figured it would be my best chance.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #193
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Thanks so much, Graham. I'll look into this further, but it looks like this will be the answer, from this instruction for resetting a user's password. No one has ever given me an alternative before, so I'm very much appreciative.
No problem. Let us know if it works out; I'm not sure what the annual cost would be, but it may well be worth it.

We're using Google Apps for Business for my wife's company (half a dozen users), and switched over recently so I'm just getting my head round what's possible. But that's got charitable status so Google have provided the service for free.

Graham
Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #194
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Guess I didn't explain it properly. I have a ton of Office documents in Dropbox and it would be so convenient if I could open and edit them in Chrome, hence GoogleDocs, save them back to Dropbox and then distribute them as needed to clients that use Office.
Yes, for this use case ChromeOS's not yet there. QuickOffice is developing quite fast now, but is a long way off, and it may be that Google get it to 'good enough' without taking it all the way to 'perfect'.

However, they've got a vested interest in making this work, as it's something that must be holding a lot of people back from making the switch.

Definitely a case of watch this space, but I reckon it will be at least another year.

Office365 will be developing too, so the solution is on the horizon.

Graham
Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #195
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Some people just don't get it. There are different computers, different solutions for different sets of needs.
No, really, I do get it. I understand the appeal of a Chromebook. It's a very-limited tablet with a keyboard. For people whose biggest gripe with a tablet is the lack of an attached keyboard and a small screen, the ChromeBook is a great choice. For people who have realized that tablets are saddled with slow processors, limited storage, and poor connectivity to peripherals, a keyboard and larger screen isn't going to fix it.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote