Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Long paragraphs and footnotes

My Kobo Touch has the 2.6.1 firmware

I'm about to upload an ebook to the MR library which has long paragraphs and footnotes, and have tested the ePub version and the mobi version (converted with calibre) on my Sony PRS T1, iPad2 with iBooks, and an upgraded Kindle Keyboard.

There is no problem with long paragraphs or footnotes on any of these ereaders, but the long paragraphs leave gaping gaps on the Kobo and the footnotes do not work at all.

Is there anything I can do to make the ebook work on the Kobo?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I use the extended driver in calibre to convert the books to .kepubs so I do not see this issue.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
The "long paragraph" bug is endemic with the EPUB renderer of the Kobo. Kobo do not care about it, we had it forever and this is going to last. This is a major Kobo failure that I did not notice on other EPUB readers.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi ALex,

Unfortunately concerning the long paragraphs, roger64 is right. AFAIK, it is impossible to "circumvent" this bug, otherwise to do what taming suggested: convert or rename the file with the extension "kepub".

In fact it doesn't work at any level: html, body, div or paragraph.

This problem is perhaps not the most important, but as soon as we must mainly working with authors of the nineteenth century, it becomes really irritating.

If you are curious, there are many threads about this problem, as this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197956

What about the footnotes?
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for the responses. But so far as I know kepub only works on Kobos. I'm afraid I'm not enthusiastic about making a Kobo only ePub version.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for the responses. But so far as I know kepub only works on Kobos. I'm afraid I'm not enthusiastic about making a Kobo only ePub version.
You can just rename a regular 'blah.epub' to 'blah.kepub.epub' to have it handled by the ACCESS/kepub renderer. The extensiom is the only thing the Kobo looks at to decide which renderer to use.

There is some more magic in a 'real' kepub (hence the kepub output plugin and the on-the-fly conversion option in the KoboTouchExtended driver), but the ACCESS renderer will handle regular epubs just fine.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote