Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Quick question RE: Charging Kindle Fire HD

If I choose the option to Shutdown the Kindle Fire HD (holding the standby button a bit longer) will it continue to charge the Kindle but faster?

By my own logic I'd say yes as it is off and there are no background things draining here and there.

I searched Google and cannot find an answer
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The original Fire could, I don't see why the HD couldn't. Here's a response from Amazon themselves on their forums last year:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x101R7XCWND08Y

Quote:
You can charge the Kindle Fire while the device is off. The indicator light, however, should be giving you either an orange light if your Kindle Fire needs to charge, or a green light indicating that the Fire is fully charged. If you are not seeing the indicator light come on while plugged in, even if the device is off, please follow the steps below:

1. Make sure you are using the Kindle Fire charger that came with your device.

2. Un-plug and plug back in the Kindle Fire.

3. Restart the Kindle Fire (To reset your Kindle Fire, press and hold the power button on the bottom of the Kindle for a full 20 seconds.)
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that. No charging light on the Kindle HD Fire, so I think I'm going to have to drop this in the lap of Amazon.

or

Test it myself and post the results here
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Buy the GSam Battery Monitor at the Amazon App Store. Then leave it on their icon screen when charging. It shows graphically the situation as it charges and the time left for a full charge. Since there is no battery LED on the HD, the GSam Battery Monitor is really a necessity just for that purpose.

I close the cover which puts the KFHD in sleep mode when charging and then open it from time to time to look at the GSam icon screen to see how much time is left.

For a full charge on my KFHD7-32 it takes six hours. That charge then lasts for 6 hours of actual use. In sleep mode it uses no power as determined by the GSam Battery Monitor.

You can purchase it here:

http://www.amazon.com/GSam-Battery-M...e+fire+edition

I leave WiFi on all the time. The GSam Monitor shows:

The Screen uses 45% of Energy and WiFi uses 16% of Energy - not really material. The System and its accessories use 14% of Energy.

I notice no materai difference between using Shut Down Mode versus Sleep Mode other than a very slight drain due to the WiFi being on but rarely really used in Sleep Mode. It would only be used if firmware or apps are updated while in Sleep Mode.

You will also need their advanced icon pack here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...GSam+Icon+pack

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-27-2012 at 11:47 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I downloaded the free GSam version, and it is great. I may consider purchasing the full version in the close future.

I'm glad it makes not difference on Shutdown and Sleep.

I am concerned about in your reply is a full charge takes 6 hours and with that you get 6 hours of use!? I was under the impression a full charge gave you at least 11hrs of play time. 6 hours isn't alot at all.
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Full charge thru a Wall plug takes 2-3 hrs & depending on your setting & What your doing CAN last up to 12 hrs!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
On the Kfv1 I get 12 hours of life. Even if I leave it in Standby for a week it's doesn't discharge much at all till I use it.

My KFv1 takes 3-4 hours from 25% to a full charge but I always charge overnight. The new charger plug they sell said it charges about the same as the old version.

I haven't been using my KF lately much at all. I own a Samsung Galaxy Player 5 and it's replaced the KF for now.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Measure it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
I downloaded the free GSam version, and it is great. I may consider purchasing the full version in the close future.

I'm glad it makes not difference on Shutdown and Sleep.

I am concerned about in your reply is a full charge takes 6 hours and with that you get 6 hours of use!? I was under the impression a full charge gave you at least 11hrs of play time. 6 hours isn't alot at all.
Make a note of Screen Time on the GSam icon screen right before you place it in the charger. You can then know your own usage. Then note the estimate of charge time after its charging for 30 minutes.

I use the Kindle PowerFast Charger from Amazon to charge it from a wall outlet. GSam will tell you when it is 100% charged. That takes 6 hours.

Most folks do not use GSam and do charge for only a few hours. They also estimate time used without GSam and get much higher estimates of use in some cases 50 hours of use and only 2 hours of charging. I trust ONLY GSam for the real measurements of charging time and screen use. Of course it is possible that the GSam numbers are wrong and the numbers submitted by others are correct.

I rely on GSam for my charge time to 100% and my measurements of Screen Time used. GSam showed my KF1G only got about 5 hours and 20 minutes of screen use. I've given that away now.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-27-2012 at 02:08 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote