Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #46
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thanks, DuckieTiger, but I was looking for a slim case that's "naked" in the front.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #47
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Thanks, DuckieTiger, but I was looking for a slim case that's "naked" in the front.
Yeah I like those too. I think I will order a purple and a coffee one later today of the ones with clasp. Didn't think the purple was the right shade, but wife likes it - the coffee one going to be for me.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #48
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Thanks for the review, vmurph! I'd be interested in seeing a couple of pictures as well

But it sounds pretty good so far.. I'm hoping mine won't take too long to get to me as I just picked up my PW from the post office
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #49
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
CORRECTION! I was wrong about it being PU Leather. The price was so low, I just assumed it wasn't real, but that was an error on my part. The auction description clearly states this as being Leather.

I'm no expert in leather, but this certainly looks and feels like real leather to me. I dug my fingernail into it a little and it feels very real. The only difference between this and my (official) K4 cover, is that this one is slightly textured and therefore not quite as smooth as the K4's.

As for photos...I only have the Black right now and it's not photographing very well in this lighting. Frankly, the images in that eBay auction are probably better, at least for the black one anyway.

However, I ordered 2 more Saturday...the purple and the dark brown. I'd be happy to post photos of those when they arrive, so you can see their true colors. I never trust images posted by sellers, especially those from China, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. They're notorious for doctoring them up to look brighter and prettier than they really are.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #50
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
CORRECTION! I was wrong about it being PU Leather. The price was so low, I just assumed it wasn't real, but that was an error on my part. The auction description clearly states this as being Leather.

I'm no expert in leather, but this certainly looks and feels like real leather to me. I dug my fingernail into it a little and it feels very real. The only difference between this and my (official) K4 cover, is that this one is slightly textured and therefore not quite as smooth as the K4's.
Niiiice! I am relieved.
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #51
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not quite convinced it's real leather yet.. I'm no expert either, but in the picture that has all the different colors, the pattern on them seems like it's exactly the same (best seen in the top right corner), which would suggest that it was manually imprinted on it, which - from what I've read - is part of making PU leather seem real.

But in the end there's nothing like actually having it in your hands, so I'll hold judgement until then
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #52
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree. And the price is so low, it's just hard to believe it could be genuine. That, and the fact that it's coming from the 'knockoff' capital of the world, lol.

But like I said, I'm not an expert on leather, so I can't really say either way. However, if it is PU, then it's one of the nicest I've seen because I can't tell the difference.

Still...I always heard that PU leather is (technically) real leather. I think it's just pressed or something? I dunno. Think I'll take a trip to Wikipedia. :-D
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #53
fauxpas
Connoisseur

Apparently it's real leather as a base (you can't actually see in the end) and the rest is polyurethane:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicast_leather
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #54
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Yup, I was just about to say the same thing. It's also referred to as split leather or bicast/bycast leather. So the backing is leather, and it has a layer of polyurethane applied to the surface, which is then embossed with a leather pattern. It's typically used on shoes and purses to give them a glossy look.

But I can tell you that this cover is far from glossy. It has the exact same surface feel and sheen as my official K4 cover. I just handed this cover to my husband to examine, and he believes it's real leather.

Also, I noticed the center part (the hinge) isn't glued to anything (for flexibility), so I was able to examine the side of it, like a cross-section. And I just happen to have a piece of genuine leather that I purchased for a craft project. I compared them both and the piece on the cover looks just like the genuine piece. And looking at the edge (cross-section) I definitely don't see any polyurethane layer.

So I'm pretty sure this thing is real leather. But I'm really interested to hear what everyone else thinks when they get theirs.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #55
fauxpas
Connoisseur

That sounds really good. The glossyness that comes across in some of the pictures was a slight concern for me at first

How firmly does it close, by the way? It didn't seem all that strong in the video.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #56
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. I have a feeling they may have applied some oil to them, or something, just for the photos. Wetting (or oiling) helps bring out the color better.

Mine has a very slight sheen to it, but just the normal sheen you'd find on good quality glove leather. Same as the Amazon covers (the non-pebbled ones).

Unfortunately, the lid doesn't have a magnetic closure like the official ones do. It closes exactly like the official K4 and KT covers did. Just flops closed like a hardcover book would. I never have a problem with it flipping open though. I just make sure, when I put it in my purse, to put it open side down. Open side up would probably make it flop open.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #57
xendula
eBookworm

Vmurph, how well does the wake/sleep function work?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #58
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxpas View Post
How firmly does it close, by the way? It didn't seem all that strong in the video.
It seems that the description does not match the video regarding how it closes, in features it says:

•The hook on the front part can lock the case firmly to avoid accidental opening

What do you think? I do not see a hook, one of my KF cases has one and it does keep it securely closed.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #59
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Vmurph, how well does the wake/sleep function work?
It works great! I even decided to buy-out of the special offers so I could enjoy the full function. I originally purchased the Paperwhite with Special Offers. Before I unsubscribed from them, opening the cover simply turned the light on. I still had to swipe to open the Kindle. (that's how amazon designed it)

But once I unsubscribed, I got the full wake function. Opening the cover turns the light on and instantly opens to the last page I was reading. And closing it instantly shuts the light and puts the device to sleep. I peeked in the upper corner to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
It seems that the description does not match the video regarding how it closes, in features it says:

•The hook on the front part can lock the case firmly to avoid accidental opening

What do you think? I do not see a hook, one of my KF cases has one and it does keep it securely closed.
LoL, yeah I saw that. The guy doesn't really speak English, and because it's almost identical to the official Amazon cover, I think he just copied some details from their description without fully understanding what it meant.

There's definitely no hook or magnetic closure. The only magnet is the wake/sleep magnet. It's in the lower right corner.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #60
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Hey, here's one that's exactly the same, only it has a SNAP CLOSURE.

[shortened URL - MODERATOR]

Different seller, but the covers are almost identical. The only difference I can see is, it doesn't have the embossed word 'Kindle' on it. Instead it has an embossed logo in the lower corner.

I wouldn't trust those colors though. Looks like they were touched up (higher saturation) to appear more vivid. My guess is they're the same shades as the non-closure ones.

They're $14.95 (USD), but the shipping is free, so theyre actually cheaper than the other ones.

-------
EDIT: I just noticed it's a US seller.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-06-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Additional information