Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #121
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Hi,
I don't know what might be the problem. It seems a different problem than drivers in your case as device is not getting detected. I tried moving the gserial directory (containing g_serial.ko and start_usb_serial.oar file) to Sd memory and inside other folders. Onyx gets detected every time.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #122
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartp5 View Post
I thought I'd share some scripts I wrote to password-protect files and folders on my boox. I made the scripts such that when encrypting a file the script automatically packs in any annotations and notes related to the file. When installed it creates two applications in the applications menu, one to encrypt and one to decrypt. The encrypting script lets you select a file of which it then creates a self-extracting script-archive (in the directory where the original files were). I made this program primarily to encrypt pdf files together with the annotations and wanted to make it easy to open, edit, close and re-encrypt the file. I therefore made the script-archive such that when clicking the archive it prompts for a password, attempts to de-crypt your file, and upon success open the file. After editing the file the file is automatically re-encrypted when the file is closed. This automatic opening and re-encryption currently works for txt files (nice for saving your passwords in a text file on your boox) and pdf files (with the old pdf-reader). This functionality can easily be extended to other file-types For all other file-types and for directories clicking the script once de-crypts, clicking it again re-encrypts the files.

For the encryption it uses ncrypt (AES-encryption). After encrypting files the original files are deleted (use at your own risk and keep backups). Note however that in flash memory there is no way to reliably access a specific physical location due to the flash transition layer. This makes it impossible to do a secure delete of a single file in flash memory (i.e. after encryption and subsequent deletion of the original files, large chunks of the original files are still floating around in the flash memory and could be accessed with specialized software). So bear that in mind when you encrypt your multi-million dollar secrets.

The script use slightly modified versions of the previously published scripting primitives. The filebrowser was adapted to be able to open directories (a lazy hack really, created a button to select a directory) and the input widget was adapted to return an empty string when the escape of close button is clicked (so one can abort typing a password and my scripts will abort too) and I made a bugfix which made the switching between plain text and password input a bit awkward.

The installer script includes the scripting archives (and asks before overwriting anything). I attached a zip file with the program and installer scripts and a patch file so you can patch the source of kodomo's scripting primitives.

Hope you can make sense of this post
I cannot seem to run it.Somebody please provide more details to installation.
Here is what i did: copied the archive to internal memory and ran install.oar; after reboot two icons appeared in Applications but nothing happens when i click on them. What else do i need to do, i am on latest firmware. Also what is the function of "script_prim.patch"
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #123
Lespaul
Enthusiast
Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
My humble thanks to each and everybody for developing boox softwares and especially to "erkkia" for making my "Boox M92 as E-ink Monitor".

I just want to add some info. I am running on windows 7 64 bit and my system had problems installing/detecting the drivers. They installed but still gave some errors. So the solution is (if somebody else face the problem) -
a) Remove the drivers and disconnect the device.
b) download driver for device id vid_0525&pid_a4a7. It is acer gadget serial network chip v2.4
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...8-4b88ada376fa
c)install the driver as legacy driver (without connecting the device) and reboot the system

Now the device will be detected without any problem. There might be problem with digital signature but that can be turned off easily.

tried this cause i got the same error, but when it try to install as legacy device my windows gives me an error and says not possible to installl as legacy driver, some ideas?
Lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #124
Lespaul
Enthusiast
Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

and where must the vnc viewer run? on the boox or on the PC?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #125
Lespaul
Enthusiast

ok, i figured it out,
the vnc-client must run on the PC, the vnc.oar just connects to it.

For all who have problems with the serial driver on windows:
i found this website:
http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/dok...-gadget:serial

and there i found code i put into an .inf and installed it to windows7 64 in my case after pressing F8 during boot and deselect driver authentification in the device-mager with add legacy driver.
it worked!

Code for the Inf (win7 64bit):
Code:
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=Ports
ClassGuid={4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%ProviderName%
DriverVer=10/15/2009,1.0.0.0

[MANUFACTURER]
%ProviderName%=DeviceList, NTx86, NTamd64

[DeviceList.NTx86]
%BfinCDC%=DriverInstall,USB\VID_0525&PID_A4A7

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%BfinCDC%=DriverInstall,USB\VID_0525&PID_A4A7

[DriverInstall]
include=mdmcpq.inf
CopyFiles=FakeModemCopyFileSection
AddReg=LowerFilterAddReg,SerialPropPageAddReg

[DriverInstall.Services]
include = mdmcpq.inf
AddService = usbser, 0x00000002, LowerFilter_Service_Inst

; This adds the serial port property tab to the device properties dialog
[SerialPropPageAddReg]
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

[Strings]
ProviderName = "CDC Driver"
BfinCDC= "Blackfin Com Port"
ok i hope that helps, if someone wishes i could produce a little vid too, i think in such cases that would help a lot.
Advert
Old 03-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #126
bbhuston
Enthusiast
bbhuston began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW; kindle DX; Sony DPT-S1
VNC hack on Windows 8

I just stumbled across this awesome thread yesterday and was wondering if anyone has successfully installed the M92 VNC hack on a PC that runs Windows 8. Has anyone out there done this?
bbhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #127
potatogim
potatogim began at the beginning.

Building error in booxsdk...

Hi, I'm trying to build booxsdk.

but rake is occurred error like below...

Quote:
~/m92/booxsdk$ rake -f Rakefile.imx508 build:arm:static
Linking CXX executable ../../../unittests/dictionary_test
CMakeFiles/dictionary_test.dir/qstardict_plugin/stardict_base.cpp.o: In function `stardict::WordlistIndex::load(QString const&, unsigned long, unsigned long)':
stardict_base.cpp.text+0x2350): undefined reference to `gzopen'
stardict_base.cpp.text+0x23e4): undefined reference to `gzread'
stardict_base.cpp.text+0x23f4): undefined reference to `gzclose'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
potatogim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #128
raphman
raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatogim View Post
stardict_base.cpp.text+0x2350): undefined reference to `gzopen'
It seems like you are not including the development files for zlib.
This is apparently a known bug in the SDK.

See here for a solution (both essentially the same):

https://github.com/onyx-intl/booxsdk/pull/4/files

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183237
raphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #129
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox, pocketbook, 9.7" e-screen
Unhappy hi

deleted... sorry that I have posted questions but I solved..
(dont know how to delete posts..)

Last edited by Kitty1221; 04-07-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Kitty1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #130
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

deleted

Last edited by Kitty1221; 04-07-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #131
Kitty1221

Hi erkkia

First I thank you for the instruction you posted for turning the boox into a PC monitor.
And I have been trying to do it.
Not sure if you are still coming to this forum but I have faced some issues.

First, the Serial_VNC.oar that I copied to the boox side freezes the device every time I tap on it. It freezes either it is copied to the boox internal storage or the SD memory.
Any idea why it freezes the device?

And about the VNC viewer thing, even if I double-click
the "bin/tvnjviewer-2.5.2/tightvnc-jviewer.jar", nothing appears.
When double clicking the jar file that I downloaded from the VNC's site,
the interface appears.
* The Java Runtime version is SE7 U17.
Do you know why this is happening?

* My Windows Ver is 8.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you!

Last edited by Kitty1221; 04-11-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #132
Feher
Addict

Hello Kitty1221,

1) Serial_vnc.oar doesn't freeze the device. It is actually waiting for the signal from computer side and suspends m92 functionality temporarily.You will see a circle with 7 black dots and 1 white dot. You can return back to normal functionality by pressing the "Back/Return" Key.

2) Regarding VNC viewer: Since this is a jar file, you will have to open it via command prompt (cmd.exe). My file is stored at this location :- G:\Onyx Boox M92\Boox M92 as eink Monitor\serial vnc app v0.1\bin\tvnjviewer-2.5.2
So, i type in cmd.exe these two lines

cd /d G:\Onyx Boox M92\Boox M92 as eink Monitor\serial vnc app v0.1\bin\tvnjviewer-2.5.2
java -Dboox_serial_port=COM32 -jar tightvnc-jviewer.jar -JpegImageQuality=Lossless -ViewOnly=Yes

3) You are on Windows 8, so i don't know if there will be any additional problems. Here are the steps i usually follow :
a) Restart my windows and press f8 key, Now i select the option "Disable driver signature enforcement". If i don't do this then device doesn't get detected.
b) Click on start_usb_serial_withoutgetty.oar; Gadget Serial(COMxx) shows up in device manager under Ports(COM & LPT). Also start_usb_serial_withoutgetty.oar file should be placed in the same folder with other gserial files
c) Click on Serial_vnc.oar
d) PC side:- start tightvnc server.exe
e) go to cmd.exe and paste above two lines. Also COM port changes its value every time. It usually takes values 31-34
f) type in the values such as localhost, port no and then password for tightvnc server; that's it

Last edited by Feher; 04-12-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #133
Kitty1221

It worked

Hi Feher

Thank you very much for your instruction!!
It worked!!!!
I had to set the Java runtime file path in the user environment variable.

However, my boox m92 only uses a small area of the display.
My m92 is 9.7 inch screen though it only uses 14.5cm in width and 8.5cm in length.
Is there anyway to make the monitor area a full 9.7 inch monitor?
If you know some ways to make it, that will be great.

Also I'm glad to know that Windows 8 (Enterprise) works.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #134
Feher
Addict

That's good news , Now users can upgrade to windows 8 without any worries.

I, too, had to set the Java runtime file path in the user environment variable but i forgot about it.

Regarding display area: I didn't face this problem.
But display area depends on screen rotation prior to running serial_vnc.oar
If boox is in landscape mode then display area is less (14.5 cm x 13.5 cm), otherwise it covers full screen (21 cm x 14.5 cm).
Your measurements are different than these

One possible solution is to goto "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution" Here you can setup a 2nd display. Set it as "display device on : VGA" and change its resolution to match your pc resolution. (There is no mechanical switch on my laptop to turn off display; so when i want to turn off my screen and read only from boox, i put my laptop to "Projector only mode". The display area was different initially and i changed it by setting up a hypothetical 2nd display)

Last edited by Feher; 04-12-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #135
dbj
dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Hello, I am writing this while using my Boox M92 as an e-ink monitor. Hopefully my eyes will thank me for it.

Some details:
VNC server: TightVNC v. 2.6.4
VNC client: TightVNC modified and downloaded from this thread.
Serial driver: Gadget Serial from Acer Inc. downloaded from link above (no disabling digital signatures required)

Many thanks to those who have contributed to this work.
dbj is offline   Reply With Quote