Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Problem with firmware 1.9.12

Ok Have a major issue here regarding my Kobo Touch. I have a lexar micro sd card 8 gigs in size. Since I have done the upgrade to 1.9.12 and reformated my sd card I can not load any books from the sd card. The card shows up correctly as a drive when the kobo is plugged into the computer. The books are all there, they just wont get recognized by the kobo. Also calibre ignores the books on the sd card as well (sorta hoped it might pick them up , but kinda figured it would not). Not sure how to sort this one out. The card was 100 percent fine from day one. Any suggestions? Yes I have tried to go back to an earlier firmware can go back as far as 1.9 but not to the original fw on the touch. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

ADDITIONAL information:

I should also point out that the reader would recognize the sd content on a full power cycle and then after reading a few pages or paragraphs it would dog ear the upper right corner and suddenly my book would close and the only books showing on my list would be the ones in the main memory of the KT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 10-30-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added information to the problem
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Paper-clip reset perhaps?
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Paper-clip reset perhaps?
Tried that many times over...

Very frustrating.. I wonder how many may have this issue withthe majority never knowing because they simply dont use the sd option.

I should also point out that the reader would recognize the sd content on a full power cycle and then after reading a few pages or paragraphs it would dog ear the upper right corner and suddenly my book would close and the only books showing on my list would be the ones in the main memory of the KT.

Last edited by jackastor; 10-30-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Honestly I got tired of the SD card issues and removed mine.

I am not even testing the new firmwares until I hear that all problems have been resolved with the SD card. (hoping it is a software but not a hardware defect)

Until then I will stick to the build in storage.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Honestly I got tired of the SD card issues and removed mine.

I am not even testing the new firmwares until I hear that all problems have been resolved with the SD card. (hoping it is a software but not a hardware defect)

Until then I will stick to the build in storage.
Can not fault you on that logic. I dont think its a hardware issue I do honestlly believe its firmware related.

Hopefully someone will have some solid suggestions for this.

thanks for your input I do appreceate it.

regards

jack
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Several forum members have encountered the problem you describe after installing the 1.9.12 firmware. According to a forum member (Taming) who is part of the beta group a fix for this problem is in the current beta.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Several forum members have encountered the problem you describe after installing the 1.9.12 firmware. According to a forum member (Taming) who is part of the beta group a fix for this problem is in the current beta.
Joe do you have a link to the problem that was discussed in the forum? And I will definately check in with Taming who I think is very knowlegeable on the touch.

thanks

jack
Old 10-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Joe do you have a link to the problem that was discussed in the forum? And I will definately check in with Taming who I think is very knowlegeable on the touch.

thanks

jack
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153459

Taming's response is in post #17.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks Scion! thats very helpful:P

I am reading it now.

regards

jack
Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
In addition to the thread mentioned in SCION's post, the problem was also discussed in the thread for the 1.9.12 firmware release.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153402
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
In addition to the thread mentioned in SCION's post, the problem was also discussed in the thread for the 1.9.12 firmware release.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153402
That was a lot to read and follow thank you Joe and Scion....

very insightfull, but I think the issue is stuck till the new release.

Jack
Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I wish I could tell you when the next Touch version will be released, but the beta group is not in the loop for that sort of thing. Jackastor--what sounds as if it will be the fix for your problem is apparently fixed in the next release. We know they have a Touch team that is different from the various App teams and the Vox team, and I am willing to bet that a bunch of folks are working on getting it all sorted out. Occasionally what happens is everything looks really good, all the bug fixes appear to work as they should, then we come up with some weird thing that doesn't affect many folks, but does affect a few people in certain circumstances. Then things get quiet for a bit until that part gets looked at, too.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I wish I could tell you when the next Touch version will be released, but the beta group is not in the loop for that sort of thing. Jackastor--what sounds as if it will be the fix for your problem is apparently fixed in the next release. We know they have a Touch team that is different from the various App teams and the Vox team, and I am willing to bet that a bunch of folks are working on getting it all sorted out. Occasionally what happens is everything looks really good, all the bug fixes appear to work as they should, then we come up with some weird thing that doesn't affect many folks, but does affect a few people in certain circumstances. Then things get quiet for a bit until that part gets looked at, too.
I think that this issue is more widespread then we think, simply due to the fact that a lot of KT users do not use the MSD method of book storage! Not when the storage on the Kt is currently sufficient to use. Which would mean that none of the none MSD users are noticing any issues. I beleive thtat majority of KT users do not use the MSD storage option. This is just my observation. That said, I noticed in the posts that the smaler sd cards seem to be unaffected. I have an 8 gig lexar just like your 4 gig one, regardless I will just have to wait I guess!

Thanks Taming and all the others who have been helpful... if anyone else wants to suggest things or have found a viable solution let me know!

regards

jack
Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo staff really seem to appreciate that those of us on MR that do try more advanced options and they are very aware that when we do, we find things that do not cause problems for the vast majority of users (who apparently download kepub books onto the device and that's about all). Somehow, they get it all taken care of--sometimes not fast enough for impatient people like me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo staff really seem to appreciate that those of us on MR that do try more advanced options and they are very aware that when we do, we find things that do not cause problems for the vast majority of users (who apparently download kepub books onto the device and that's about all). Somehow, they get it all taken care of--sometimes not fast enough for impatient people like me.

That would be most of us!

We all have issues that need to be the most important thing they work on... :P

regards

jack