Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Deonna_White
Edge User

WPA 2 Enterprise support?

Hey everyone!

I should be receiving my edge tomorrow and wanted to know if i can connect to my school's wireless as I live on campus. My college uses WPA2 Enterprise security. Can anyone tell me if this will work and how to set it up?

Thanks, Deonna

Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
VenturingSoul
Edge User

True WPA2 Enterprise does normally use a Radius server. If that's the case, I'm not sure if the eDGe will support that.

Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
ChrisF
Edge User

It took some fiddling but I am able to use my eDGe on my universities WPA-Enterprise wireless. The biggest nuance was the edge saw the SSID broadcast but if I tried to just select it and connect the edge wanted to use regular WPA. To counter this I had to maually define a WPA-EAP, choose a password for local information storage and then I had all of the options for Enterprise WPA.
Now my only problem is occasionally I have to turn wifi on and off for the edge to re-connect to the wireless.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
robwnelson
Edge User

Chris--how did u define the local information storage? Is that something on the device or your network?
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
brauckmiller
Edge User

Yeah...I was tinkering with this yesterday and I was not able to figure out what password to use. Is this hard coded somewhere?

Anyway to clear it out?

I support Juniper Steel-Belted RADIUS and the Juniper Unified Access Control solution and would love to try my eDGe against both platforms to see how well it inter-operates with both.

Thanks

Craig Brauckmiller

Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
brauckmiller
Edge User

WPA-EAP and IEEE 802.1x not officially supported...yet

Talking to the support guy today, I found out that 802.1X is not officially supported as yet nor is WPA-EAP obviously.

Working in the support world, I completely understand this.

Its not officially supported simply means they have not done QA on it. It may work just fine, its just that they do not want to commit to saying it works flawlessly yet.

I assume that they will qualify this in a future release.

As for the Credential Storage Password, you can clear it by going to Apss > Settings >Security and clear / reset the password.

So, looking at the 802.1X support, they cover the big 3.
EAP-PEAP
EAP-TTLS
EAP-TLS

They seem to have a nice range of supported tunneled authentication protocols as well.
PAP
MS-CHAP
MS-CHAPv2
GTC (token based auth such as RSA SecurID)

I'll keep playing and test against my RADIUS servers here and post any interesting gotchas.

Thanks

Craig Brauckmiller

Old 04-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
ChrisF
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwnelson View Post
Chris--how did u define the local information storage? Is that something on the device or your network?
Thanks!
As far as I could tell, that first password was just something so you can save information on the eDGe. All I did was type in a random password I use for low priority things.

It was on the next screen where I put in my domain\username domain password, and selected the wireless protocols they use.

If it helps, this is a copy of the settings my university provides:
General Settings:
If specific instructions do not exist for your operating system or wireless adapter software, you can use the settings below when attempting to connect to the wireless network.
* Network Name or SSID (case-sensitive): <SSID>
* Network Security or Authentication: WPA2 Enterprise
* Data Encryption: AES
* EAP Type: PEAP/MS-CHAP-V2
When prompted for user credentials, use the following:
* User Name: your username
* Password: your password
* Domain: <DomainName>