Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
To delete your credit card:

1. Click My Account.
2. Click Manage credit cards
3. Click on credit card you wish to delete.
4. Click delete this card.
Aha! Thanks! I didn't realize the cards were clickable...
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
To delete your credit card:

1. Click My Account.
2. Click Manage credit cards
3. Click on credit card you wish to delete.
4. Click delete this card.
You have no idea how happy this made me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
I just bought ebooks from B&N for the first and only time. I got a gift certificate. The site is very difficult to navigate and I hate one click buying! It's one of my pet peeves about Amazon ebooks too. I don't buy books one at a time, never have and probably never will. So why don't I have the option with ebooks of adding books to the shopping cart and making one purchase. Not only is it a waste of my time to have to purchase each ebook individually but it's also wasteful in terms of paper. I have to print a separate receipt for each book instead of one receipt for the entire purchase. And let's not talk about the accounting nightmare. Instead of one transaction I have several small ones which I need to keep track of. And what if I don't want to use the credit card they have on file. I have to go to the hassle of changing it in my account before I can purchase my books. Ugh! Generally not a pleasant shopping experience.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I actually don't mind buying books one at a time, though I prefer the shopping cart method, which is one of the (few) things I like about the Sony store.

What I hate is buying books with the actual pricetag unseen. Not to mention the assumption that clicking an easy to click-by-mistake button on a webpage means an instant irrevocable purchase that I have to jump through hoops to cancel, if that's even an option.

Kobo's site lacks a lot of functionality, but the one thing they really got right was their checkout process. You get to confirm the price you'll actually pay, including taxes, as well as apply coupons and choose your payment method, so that you can be absolutely sure this is really what you want to buy at that price and it's not going to be a glitch purchase profit for the seller.

Mind you, I've heard they have this website issue where if you click the reload button to refresh a stuck "confirm your billing address/apply coupon" page in your browser, it'll automatically put the purchase through.

But at least they've got the overall purchasing experience decently worked out.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #20
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Hmm....never ran into this. I've always found it very user friendly, just click buy, go to your NookLibrary from the website and download...even before it says "shipped" it's there.

I'll be on the lookout for this though, everything that has been free for me, has been free.
same here, I've never, ever been charged for a free book, not even with the whole DRM schemed.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
elk886
Enthusiast
elk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-650, Nook Glo Plus, Fire HDX7
I made the mistake of buying ten books from them at once using my card. My bank thought my card had been stolen because of the number of times I used it on that one site. On one hand, at least I know I don't have to worry if my card is ever stolen. They blocked my card pretty quickly. On the other hand, I hated the fact that I had to spend fifteen minutes on the phone confirming each purchase I had made. Since that happened I haven't purchased anything from their site. My time is better spent.
elk886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What I don't like about B&N is once you add your CC there is no way to remove it on their site that I can tell. Amazon will let you remove your CC at anytime. So does Kobo.
huh? Yes they do.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk886 View Post
I made the mistake of buying ten books from them at once using my card. My bank thought my card had been stolen because of the number of times I used it on that one site. On one hand, at least I know I don't have to worry if my card is ever stolen. They blocked my card pretty quickly. On the other hand, I hated the fact that I had to spend fifteen minutes on the phone confirming each purchase I had made. Since that happened I haven't purchased anything from their site. My time is better spent.

sooo how is that Barnes and nobles fault, it's your bank's policy

samething happend to me on my Honeymoon. I forgot to call the bank and let them know I'll be out of the country and will see some purchases. Well half way through the honeymoon, my bank froze my account. Following your logic I should blame Mexico.

Last edited by boswd; 02-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #24
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
I never signed up at the B&N site, and haven't purchased a Nook because of their requirement to add a credit card. This isn't true of Sony or iBook stores, where I use gift cards and, so far, haven't had problems being charged for free books.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulak39 View Post
I never signed up at the B&N site, and haven't purchased a Nook because of their requirement to add a credit card. This isn't true of Sony or iBook stores, where I use gift cards and, so far, haven't had problems being charged for free books.
If you get a gift card, even a $5 one, you can add that to your account, and it will be where you are charged before anything hits your credit card. So long as youve got your $5 balance on your card, you'll know you've not been charged for anything. You can also delete a credit card once you add it.

I've also never had the problems that folks are talking about here. I was a Nook early adopter and have never been charged for a free book.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #26
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
I just bought ebooks from B&N for the first and only time. I got a gift certificate. The site is very difficult to navigate and I hate one click buying! It's one of my pet peeves about Amazon ebooks too. I don't buy books one at a time, never have and probably never will. So why don't I have the option with ebooks of adding books to the shopping cart and making one purchase. Not only is it a waste of my time to have to purchase each ebook individually but it's also wasteful in terms of paper. I have to print a separate receipt for each book instead of one receipt for the entire purchase. And let's not talk about the accounting nightmare. Instead of one transaction I have several small ones which I need to keep track of. And what if I don't want to use the credit card they have on file. I have to go to the hassle of changing it in my account before I can purchase my books. Ugh! Generally not a pleasant shopping experience.
Amazon and Kobo don't use a shopping cart either; it's not just BN.

Why do you have to print anything? BN (and the others) send an e-mail confirmation--that's your receipt. And of course you can always check your purchase history on the site itself.

As has been stated, the simplest thing to do at BN, Amazon, and Kobo is to purchase a gift card to manage e-book purchases. I also had the experience of my bank getting up in arms when I made three consecutive book purchases--at Kobo, not BN.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Amazon and Kobo don't use a shopping cart either; it's not just BN.

Why do you have to print anything? BN (and the others) send an e-mail confirmation--that's your receipt. And of course you can always check your purchase history on the site itself.

As has been stated, the simplest thing to do at BN, Amazon, and Kobo is to purchase a gift card to manage e-book purchases. I also had the experience of my bank getting up in arms when I made three consecutive book purchases--at Kobo, not BN.
Also what is stopping anybody from doing a print screen when you are at the checkout completed section.

I hate cluesless mob mentality company bashing. Almost all these gripes are either user error or double standards and ignorance of other company's policy's which are the same as BN's.

drives me crazy.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #28
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk886 View Post
They ran thru 61 penny charges on me one day (lost of those classics series were up free, plus a few others). My credit card was frozen and caused another automatic payment or two to fail. Took a few days to get the card working again and the other problems straightened out. Never did get that 61 cents back and they've done the same thing more than once, since then.

When the Kaplan books came out, B&N charged a number of people (I read dozens of complaints on the B&N forums, which means the problem most likely extended into the hundreds). Since it was a weekend, no one could get it fixed until mid-the-next week. With the groupon coupon that was recently promoted, a number of people had issues with it not working properly or not charging a remainder of a sale to another coupon, hitting a credit card (or just not going thru), plus the issue a number had from trying to get more than one of them. Amazon also had people getting more than one coupon for their promotion, but I never saw a peep about anyone having any issue once they managed to get their codes in email (I just had one of each and no problems so far, but haven't used up the B&N coupon yet ... need to do that, though, so it doesn't expire).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #29
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
They ran thru 61 penny charges on me one day (lost of those classics series were up free, plus a few others). My credit card was frozen and caused another automatic payment or two to fail. Took a few days to get the card working again and the other problems straightened out. Never did get that 61 cents back and they've done the same thing more than once, since then.

When the Kaplan books came out, B&N charged a number of people (I read dozens of complaints on the B&N forums, which means the problem most likely extended into the hundreds). Since it was a weekend, no one could get it fixed until mid-the-next week. With the groupon coupon that was recently promoted, a number of people had issues with it not working properly or not charging a remainder of a sale to another coupon, hitting a credit card (or just not going thru), plus the issue a number had from trying to get more than one of them. Amazon also had people getting more than one coupon for their promotion, but I never saw a peep about anyone having any issue once they managed to get their codes in email (I just had one of each and no problems so far, but haven't used up the B&N coupon yet ... need to do that, though, so it doesn't expire).

so what does have anything to do with the guys bank freezing his card? How is that Barnes and Noble's fault?

Also Amazon also does single purchase, if you bought 61 one cent purchases on Amazon why wouldn't your bank freeze your card then? I'm assuming your bank doesn't play favorites right?

Last edited by boswd; 02-23-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #30
elk886
Enthusiast
elk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-650, Nook Glo Plus, Fire HDX7
"sooo how is that Barnes and nobles fault, it's your bank's policy"

Sorry, I don't know how to do the whole quote thing.

I was just saying because of that I don't buy from Barnes & Noble. I understand it's my banks policy, but it seems to me that a lot of people buy more than one book at a time and setting it up so you could only buy books individually makes little sense. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has run into this problem where there bank thinks there card has been stolen. Sure I could just spread my purchases out over a ten day period, buying a book a day, or I could go to another store which allows me to put all the books I wish to purchase in a cart and buy them at once. By setting up the store the way they have, they have made it unnecessarily difficult to purchase books. It seems before I purchase anything from them I either have to notify my bank or buy a gift card as some people have suggested. Why jump through all these hoops when I can just use another store.

Last edited by elk886; 02-23-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: forgot a couple of sentences
elk886 is offline   Reply With Quote