Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle WiFi was affected by visit to Radio Shack

I notice that, when I brought my Kindle WiFi into a Radio Shack store, it was forced into a spontaneous reboot and all my notes and bookmarks on an open book were deleted. They could not be restored by a sync later when I returned home. I was able to delete the book but could not restore it. My sync had stopped working with my own WiFi network at home.

I had called Amazon CS but they would not immediately send me a replacement. They must have suspected something else was causing the problem. Then Amazon CS lost their own internal network and had to disconnect with intention to call me later.

I had to do a hard reset (holding the power button to the right for 30 seconds) to re-stabilize my Kindle WiFi. Then I had to re-download the ebook, let it re-index for 30 minutes and then all my lost notes and bookmarks were restored.

As of the time of posting this Amazon CS had not yet called me back.

It appears that background electrical noise in the Radio Shack store may have had an adverse effect on my internal Kindle WiFi electrical processes.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-08-2010 at 01:51 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Didn't you have problems a few months ago with the Kindle in your jacket pocket and in Church?

I find it unlikely that it had anything to do with the RadioShack store, and was more than likely just a spontaneous reboot, and just a coincidence. That being said, if you go back in, and see the exact same symptoms, then I'd start to suspect another problem.

Was it simply walking into the store that caused the problem? Or were you actually connecting to a RadioShack WiFi. If so, is it possible that there was some other login page you had to go to, and your Kindle wasn't really connected?

There are lots of possibilities, but honestly, background EM noise is towards the bottom of the list.
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are correct.

I took the Kindle WiFi out later to pick up my grandkids from school. It did a spontaneous reboot again when I opened it up in the parking lot.

I'll be calling Amazon CS AGAIN. It may have nothing to do with Radio Shack at all.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The question of the day is: were you actually reading while you walked into Radio Shack? You almost had to be to notice the reboot. You should be careful shopping/walking while reading... accidents happen that way.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard

It happened after I left Radio Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The question of the day is: were you actually reading while you walked into Radio Shack? You almost had to be to notice the reboot. You should be careful shopping/walking while reading... accidents happen that way.
I was waiting a few minutes later for my wife at the hair dresser when it actually happened.

I called Amazon CS and they took all my information and are sending the case to the Amazon Kindle Development Team. I had version 3.01 for TWO MONTHS without any problem. I had a large number of problems with 3.0.0, 3.0.2 and now 3.0.3.

I saw another person here had the same problem and received version 3.0.4 privately and now has no problems. I mentioned that to CS and they may also send me 3.0.4 privately.
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Between the unlighted cover causing problems and this, Bishop Ockham is spinning in his grave. Post hoc ergo propter hoc is no kind of engineering logic. This is what happens when marketeering is more profitable than engineering (maybe due to marketeering grads being cheaper than engineers).
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard

New cover may solve problems

I just ordered the Marware Eco-Flip Kindle Flip Case (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle), Black. It holds the Kindle WiFi LG 3 by a different method in place of the metal hooks used by the standard cover which I originally purchased.

Its possible that those metal hooks cause problems when being moved around a lot. If I end up without any problems using the new cover, I'll be a happy camper and just chalk up my loss on the first cover to the learning curve.

It appears Amazon CS is not going to do anything about my problem. I'll just have to live with it until their next model is introduced. They took my data and will get back to me but I'm not going to hold my breath for any solutions.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-08-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Post No problems...

I purchased my Kindle 3 WiFi in October with the (real? simulated?) leather lighted case. I've had v3.0.2 since it was released and have not had any problems whatsoever...

Regards,

Vandy
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard

Many have similar problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
I purchased my Kindle 3 WiFi in October with the (real? simulated?) leather lighted case. I've had v3.0.2 since it was released and have not had any problems whatsoever...

Regards,

Vandy
See this other thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=106840&page=2

Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #10
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
Do you walk around with the wifi turned on? Have you ever manually set up your wifi around that area and let the kindle remember the settings?
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

WiFi on as a possible cause of reboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by charonme View Post
Do you walk around with the wifi turned on? Have you ever manually set up your wifi around that area and let the kindle remember the settings?
That implication just could be part of the problem. I'll keep the WiFi off from now on when travelling.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
even if your kindle did connect to a wifi available in that area, it's still not completely OK that it rebooted and deleted your notes just because of some strange communication going on thru that wifi. I don't know if amazon is able to restart your kindle thru the net, but if there is such a technical possibility and they had some problem with their servers, perhaps a random faulty instruction was broadcasted to your kindle and caused it to malfunction? If this was the case then radioshack had nothing to do with it and it would happen if you connected to any wifi at that time.
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard

Apparently Radio Shack had nothing to do with the problem.

It appears there is a wide problem with Kindle WiFi reboots. See this thread and vote there if it affects you:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110682

It has nothing to do with Radio Shack. It was just a coincidence it happened after I visited their store.