Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Aspen
Aspen began at the beginning.

Device: Velocity Cruz
Planning to pick up the Velocity Cruz later today--suggestions??

I have never been interested in an eReader as I am a person who just loves the feel of a book in hand. I read a lot and very, very fast; so as a present my mother wants to buy me an eReader to save room for books on our upcoming vacation.

I generally bring 10-15 books for a week's vacation, and an eReader could be great for that and also for overseas travel to save room--I just haven't been willing to buy a device for what is essentially a couple weeks a year.

Since it is a gift , I'm trying to figure out how to make it the most worthwhile to me to have one. I have played with everything I can find....Kobo, Kindle, Nook, 3 different types of Sony's, and several other brands.

For an eInk device only, I am most interested in the Sony or the Nook. REALLY love all the Nook accessories. Kindle was out because I am very anti-proprietary and want to get my books from the most types of sources.

I decided, however, to not go with eInk only because it is just too limited as a device. Just don't want a reader only as I am still more likely to read generally from books. I have been looking at other options, and it looks like the Velocity Cruz will meet my needs the best. For one I will have to add minimal money to the amt my mother is willing to spend for it, and for another with the Android platform and access to apps, I believe I can use it as my organizer/planner and justify having it with me all the time (I already always have with me a paper planner that is the rough size of the Cruz--though much thicker--and trading one item for another seems workable).

Also I really like the idea of being able to find apps for various items I may discover that I want it to do. I do not and will not have a smart phone because my husband does and I am unwilling to pay for a full data package for a second phone, so it seems I could use my Cruz for whatever types of apps that ppl usually add to a smart phone.

I am concerned about glare for the screen....seems it will limit outdoor reading, but the only place I generally read outdoors is on the beach and I am not sure I'd bring an electronic device there at all.

I know a lot of the people here are much more familiar with the various devices offered than I am. Does anyone have a different suggestion for me? I like the idea that some of the newer devices also offer 3G service, but I am simply not willing to spend that kind of money for an item that at this point is basically a whim.
Aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Check out the Archos 7 (Best Buy). It is a great ereader if you use the Aldiko app. Fbreader and Laputa work well too. It does use an older version of Android though so no nook, Kobo, or Kindle apps. Still, it is much higher quality than the Cruz.

Honestly, I would just pay the extra for the nook color (I did after trying all of the cheap Android tablets).
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Aspen
Aspen began at the beginning.

Device: Velocity Cruz
Thanks

I appreciate the response, Noel, but I had already left for the store LOL

Truly I am not interested in a full tablet, so I am hoping this will work for me. I guess we'll find out soon enough......if I could only figure out where to get started
Aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread, anjirlly.

Enjoy your new Cruz........and post with your thoughts.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote