Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
balboa baggins
balboa baggins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can any Ebook reader justify PDF documents?

Hi,

I just bought a Kindle and it was my intention to put on it technical (IT) books to study in my free moments on the underground and also the cross stepper at the gym. Much to my disappointment it does not justify text in pdf documents, and magnifying it makes only a few words readable at a time before you have to move it, which is entirely contrary to the point of having an easy portable reader. I have also tried using Calibre and Mobipocket creator to convert the PDFs, but the text becomes garbled and I lose the pictures (important in a technical manual). Is there any Ebook reader which can justify PDFs? If there is I will buy one.

Thanks Dudes.
balboa baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
much of it depends on the pdf itself and whether it can be reflowed or only zoomed. PocketBook does both very well with most PDFs. Some PDFs can only be zoomed. However the new PocketBook models due in a couple of weeks will reflow the pics in line with the relowed text- something no other ereaders do for now.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
balboa baggins

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Ebook readers generally can't justify the text in PDFs, and how much they can do with them (reflow or zoom) depends a lot on how the PDF was made. A Kindle DX might work, depending on the size of text in the original, and whether you need color.

If you need to read letter-sized PDFs, your best option is probably either a netbook or tablet like the iPad, which doesn't need to resize them to make them readable. The other option is to convert to something like HTML or RTF, and then reformat the converted document to ungarble it & re-arrange the pictures.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
jamesd-ie
jamesd-ie began at the beginning.

Device: Archos A70
Hi,

It would be worth giving PaperCrop: http://code.google.com/p/papercrop/ a go. It crops your PDFs into smaller chunks, divides up columns etc.
It has a lot of presets for different types of documents.

If any of the technical books you bought have are from SitePoint you can redownload them as mobi format which is used on the Kindle. Some other technical publishers may offer their books in epub format but you should be able to convert these using Calibre into mobi format.
jamesd-ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
What does justify pdfs mean??
Anyway the pdf support is the reason why i sent my kindle back and just got a sony prs 650. Due to the variuos pdf reflow and zoom functions, for example seeing a page cut up into 4 parts which is very handy or the option to remove the margins in pdfs I can easily read all my technical pdfs that I have tried up to now (physics books and papers). However I am used to reading all my A4/letter sized documents on A5 paper so I dont mind if the characters are a bit smaller.
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
balboa baggins
balboa baggins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
thanks guys. I think i will have to give up on the kindle and go back to printing my pdfs to paper.
balboa baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
TommyT
TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I think you are talking about PDF reflow - that is if you make text larger, it reflows it and does not just zoom in. Depending on a PDF, Sonys can do that. I think the old foxit was able to do that too.

As a rule, my sony 650 can reflow published (ie not scanned) one-column pdfs pretty well (with some weird page breaks from time to time which is not a big deal really).
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I think if you want the text to be justified, you will have to do it in Word or Acrobat Professional if you don't have an editable version of the document. Otherwise, if it's reflow you need, then what TommyT said is right.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
I think you are talking about PDF reflow - that is if you make text larger, it reflows it and does not just zoom in. Depending on a PDF, Sonys can do that. I think the old foxit was able to do that too.

As a rule, my sony 650 can reflow published (ie not scanned) one-column pdfs pretty well (with some weird page breaks from time to time which is not a big deal really).
My Sony PRS-505 (and I imagine the 650 as well) can actually reflow scanned PDFs as well, if they are scanned with OCR.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote