Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #241
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So all they need do is make enough changes to render it more bother than it is worth.
The more bother, the more it's worth in the pirate community. Then it's a badge of pride.
Wasgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #242
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I woke up this morning to an email from the Sony Reader store for the Potter books. I couldn't supress my squeal of delight. I had to have a surgical procedure today & what a lovely way to deal with being stuck in bed, reading my Potter books. *squee*

I rushed to buy them without reading here first and made a mistake. Every multiple book set I've bought has had all the books in one. I wanted the separate files so I didn't buy the set & save the 10%. I figured that like most, it'd be one file with all books. It's not a huge amount of money but had I known they'd still be separate downloads I'd have gone that route. Oh well. At least I can tell my friends the way that it is.

*Happy Happy Joy Joy*
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #243
december
Nameless Being

Thanks for the reply, ilovejedd. I don't suppose you know of any example screenshots which demonstrate that 'stylized' appearance?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #244
bean
Enthusiast
bean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If you buy it through B&N does the book get DRM'd when linked to your Nook?
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #245
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
Thanks for the reply, ilovejedd. I don't suppose you know of any example screenshots which demonstrate that 'stylized' appearance?
Barely anything, really. Just centered, in italics and smallcaps. Don't have my reader with me so just did a quick check using EPUBReader in Firefox. Will take a screenshot later on my PRS-350.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #246
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking

Wow - 17 pages of posts already - I think the "nah, nobody will be interested in them now, they're past their sell-buy date ..." theory is shot.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #247
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasgo View Post
The more bother, the more it's worth in the pirate community. Then it's a badge of pride.
I think you're confusing who the book pirates really are. The pirates themselves don't figure out ways around ebook DRM. The pirates are people who simply upload their DRM-free ebooks to torrent sites. But they don't exert any effort on their own part to do so. Most of the people who upload ebooks to torrent sites are not going to manually go through an ebook file piece by piece to see if they can be identified in any way. They won't take the chance. Watermarking will discourage many of those uploaders (pirates)—precisely because they're lazy.

I guarantee you that most people who go to the effort of reverse-engineering DRM schemes, do so because they're opposed to the crippling forms of DRM that keep legitimate customers (including themselves) from backing up/format shifting their own purchases. And since watermarking doesn't limit a user's ability to do any of those things (in fact it barely limits them in any way), most of those who might be capable of doing so, won't be lifting a finger to create easy, automated ways of removing all watermarks from ebooks. Not. A. Finger.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #248
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem
ProfCrash is right. The UK versions never had the illustrations or varied fonts in the print editions either. I'd just pull the illustrations and fonts and add 'em in if you want the best of both worlds. I'm mildly considering doing that myself, actually.
I have the fonts - can you direct me to directions on how to easily do this? I have Calibre but have not done more than simple conversions and organization with it. I'd prefer the UK books but would like the nice fonts in them. thanks
I don't actually know the procedure; it's something I've been meaning to learn because I've got a few other ebooks I want to do similar things to.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #249
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
I have the fonts [ ... ]
Out of curiosity, what is the font name?

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #250
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
One Hundred / One Thousand, That seems a little odd? Anyone know what context that was used in such that a hundred is a thousand in the US?
That's the title of the book "One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi".

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #251
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
So, out of curiousity, how are things like signatures handled in the American version; are they "plain" stylized text, or images?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #252
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
If you buy it through B&N does the book get DRM'd when linked to your Nook?
You don't buy through B&N, you buy through Pottermore. You can link the books to your B&N account after you've purchased them. I'd assume they'll be DRM'd if downloaded through B&N since they are through Amazon at Pottermore's request (so I'd assume they requested the same thing of B&N).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #253
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I guarantee you that most people who go to the effort of reverse-engineering DRM schemes, do so because they're opposed to the crippling forms of DRM that keep legitimate customers (including themselves) from backing up/format shifting their own purchases. And since watermarking doesn't limit a user's ability to do any of those things (in fact it barely limits them in any way), most of those who might be capable of doing so, won't be lifting a finger to create easy, automated ways of removing all watermarks from ebooks. Not. A. Finger.
Sure, some people crack DRM because they're opposed to it on a basis of principle, but there's all sorts of motivations at play within the pirate community. There's no shortage of pirates whose main motivation is simply to "stick it to the man", wherever they imagine "the man" can be found, and I'd imagine they will do their thing vs watermarking as well.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #254
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Sure, some people crack DRM because they're opposed to it on a basis of principle, but there's all sorts of motivations at play within the pirate community. There's no shortage of pirates whose main motivation is simply to "stick it to the man", wherever they imagine "the man" can be found, and I'd imagine they will do their thing vs watermarking as well.
We'll just have to wait and see.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #255
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
So, out of curiousity, how are things like signatures handled in the American version; are they "plain" stylized text, or images?
The signatures in the American version are images. Aside from that, not much else. The "Potter Stinks", "Support Cedric" and "Weasley is our King" badges are all images. All the other images appear to be chapter illustrations.

I'd like to parrot what someone else has mentioned, do we have a list of the fonts used in Harry Potter (US)? I actually like the typesetting on the paper books and would like to edit my copies to mimic the dt version (and yes, I'm aware that's also against the ToS).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote