Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #16
SonicIL74
SonicIL74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Fire
I've noticed the brightness setting seems to go much lower than before which is a big plus at night. The Silk browser seems to have improved tremendously in speed with acceleration turned on although sometimes scrolling gets a little laggy on certain pages but page loading has been improved significantly in my home. The bottom arrow button has also seen an improvement in responsiveness which was one of my lil peeves as it used to require more than 1 touch but works flawless now.
The home page scrolling is alot smoother now and the inertia scrolling is darn near perfect. The carousel of course adds the delete feature which is a huge plus, I know some want it deleted entirely but honestly I hardly have issues with it since I have so many favorites on the home screen, I just scroll down to hide it & when I want the convenience of something I looked at recently, there it is.
The Kindle book reading is also smoother with books loading quicker & page turns seeming less jerky. I do find it funny though that their own reading app on their tablet is inferior to the ones on other platforms. It would be great to have the page turning animations option along with page numbers & the X-ray feature that's available on the Kindle Touch.
The good news is that Amazon has issued 2 updates within weeks of launch so it shows they are listening & will no doubt continue to improve the Fire with quick & steady updates.
SonicIL74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #17
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Though everyone seems to have their nitpicks, I'd just like to see two simple fixes in a future update since this one didn't:

1. The ability to disable word suggestions while you're typing, in Keyboard Settings. It's utterly annoying when attempting to chat or type out an email, only to have to force save your words because they're not in the dictionary. Otherwise, the space bar becomes insert and you're forced into using a word you didn't want to.

2. Add pin number password shopping to 1-click settings. It seems like the most simplest of solutions instead of disabling wifi and fooling about with all the other workarounds.

One more thing that'd be nice of Amazon, would be to offer refunds on apps, like Android Marketplace does. One could only wish.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicIL74 View Post
I've noticed the brightness setting seems to go much lower than before which is a big plus at night.
I don't notice this on mine.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I read somewhere that we now have password protected wifi use. Can somebody tell me how to enable that? I don't see it anywhere.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
russ5260
russ5260 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
update 6.2.1

>>>There are just so many little things we still want that I'm sure will come >>>with time. Like you say, being able to customize the carousel would be >>>great. Collections, page numbers, etc..

We have always had the ability to remove WEB PAGES from the Carousel. Just got the web and touch on history....delete history and the web pages are gone from the carousel. Don't know if this is what you are talking about when refering to deleting stuff from the carousel.
russ5260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #21
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
This update seems much snappier. I had problems with it not registering the back button at times and this appears to definitely fix that and the web browsing seems much faster. Its almost like before it was running on one core (instead of the dual core)

Edit: Even books open much faster. When I opened a kindle book, there would be a wait and a delay circle and now it just opens... Vewwyy nice.

Last edited by volwrath; 12-20-2011 at 09:15 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #22
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Blossom
A list view of what? do you mean of the apps?
please specify where you found this so I can compare
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #23
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Yes I believe it was there before
Im already at 6.2.1 so I cant compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I'm still on 6.2 and if I hit the menu button in the Books or Docs screen I get an option for Grid or List view.

Carol
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #24
salsaguy
Addict

Someone said the new update allows you to remove the built in Facebook app?
Im not on 6.2.1.
I had previously sideloaded the valid (real) FB app, but still see the pre-installed one with grey'ed out box for the Uninstall choice.

What gives?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #25
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
I am unable to uninstall the Facebook app even with 6.2.1 ..
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #26
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Me either
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #27
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I read somewhere that we now have password protected wifi use. Can somebody tell me how to enable that? I don't see it anywhere.
Go to Settings\More\Restrictions.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The brightness definitely has not change. I wish it had. The back button does seem to be better now. I haven't notice any better scrolling. I can say the new update is using a tad more battery then the old update.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #29
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
This update seems much snappier. I had problems with it not registering the back button at times and this appears to definitely fix that and the web browsing seems much faster. Its almost like before it was running on one core (instead of the dual core)

Edit: Even books open much faster. When I opened a kindle book, there would be a wait and a delay circle and now it just opens... Vewwyy nice.
Yep, no denying it on my end, it is noticeably snappier. I tried the book thing and yeah, they do open quicker. I'm not noticing the web improvements you are but everything else is working quicker, prime video, music, all the tabs....I still have yet to once double tap a button to get the screen to register the touch since the update. I'm more then satisfied with the improvements, can't wait for the next one
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #30
salsaguy
Addict

Sadly no where does it explain what that does... for those fire owners who don't go digging info in the forums like us

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Go to Settings\More\Restrictions.

Carol