Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
maxfax
maxfax began at the beginning.

Device: none now
Iliad to buy or not to buy (mainly for pdf)

Hi

I need advice on Iliad. I will read mostly A4 PDFs (medical articles and books). Read a lot about Illiad, but still can not decide for myself is it worth to pay 440 pounds or not. Never saw iliad before (only pictures and youtube videos). Read that it is better then sony although not the best (for PDFs).

Are there people who read mainly A4 PDF? What is your opinion?

Thanks

Last edited by maxfax; 04-19-2008 at 07:37 PM.
maxfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
You can zoom the PDF´s.

But to read it comfortable you have to convert them (for instance with the Book Designer).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I use mine almost exclusively for reading journal articles (mostly medical) which are usually A4 or thereabouts. For multi-column PDFs I find either of the two customised column modes works well while zoomed in. For single column layouts rotating to landscape gives me half a page at about 90% of the original size.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfax View Post
Read that it is better then sony although not the best (for PDFs).
Really? what currently available device would be better for PDFs than the iLiad?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
maxfax

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Really? what currently available device would be better for PDFs than the iLiad?
I agree, none. But when I invest 440 pounds in something I plan to use it for a while. It could be very upsetting if there is device coming, which could be better then best.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfax View Post
I agree, none. But when I invest 440 pounds in something I plan to use it for a while. It could be very upsetting if there is device coming, which could be better then best.
With this consideration you must never buy any electronic device.

Last edited by axel77; 04-19-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
iLiad is quite good for reading A4 pdf files. But whether it is worth 440 pounds, you have to decide for yourself. None of others can tell you.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
If you're reading a high volume of journal articles and documents (and you value your eyes), I think the iLiad is a quite viable alternative to paper.

For me, my paper management woes have improved significantly since I got the iLiad. And I love that I can annotate docs - and then erase irrelevant jottings - and annotate some more...
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
maxfax

Thanks

Thanks to everybody.
I am just 0ne step away from iliad now. I am now sure that I need it.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
This is not yet out, but this can be a good candidate for reading PDFs.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=12
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22658
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
IMHO the upcoming Hanklin is more near on the "might actual exist soon" plane.. Dunno, its obvious that in say 5 years we will have much better eReader devices than today. Its always the unanswerable question of, shall I yet wait another year to possibly buy a better device, or do I want to start using one now?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Quote:
IMHO the upcoming Hanklin is more near on the "might actual exist soon" plane.. Dunno, its obvious that in say 5 years we will have much better eReader devices than today. Its always the unanswerable question of, shall I yet wait another year to possibly buy a better device, or do I want to start using one now?
Assuming that Astak is getting the readers from Netronix, we may be able to see a working product by the end of September this year.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21808
I think the assumption is reasonable since the description by Astak guy literally matches that of Netronix.

I cannot tell which one is more likely to hit the market first, but since Netronix is working with (or run by) the maker of e-ink panel (PVI), Astak/Netronix reader may appear on the market earlier than or as early as Hanlin product. Of course, this is a pure speculation on my side.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
soilwork
useR!

Quote:
Its always the unanswerable question of, shall I yet wait another year to possibly buy a better device, or do I want to start using one now?
It depends on each individual's need. I can roughly divide the consumers into 3 groups with respect to their willingness to wait.
A) Those who need a PDF reading e-ink device with annotation feature right now
B) Those who can make do with not-so-good PDF reader (6 inch reader) for now and will buy another 9.7 inch reader when it comes out.
C) Those who can wait for 6 month or 1 year until a 9.7 inch PDF reader comes out.

If you belong to A) group, then Iliad is the obvious choice. However, for those who are in B or C, not buying Iliad is cheaper.
For group C) waiting for Astak/Netronix reader is much cheaper (less than half the price of an Iliad).
Even for group B), it is still cheaper than getting one Iliad. For example, if the person buys a sony PRS-505 to make do for the time being and then she buys Astak/Netronix when available, it will still cost her less than buying one Iliad.

Of course, all this conclusion rests on the assumption that 9.7 inch reader will come out by the end of this year at the stated price.

Last edited by soilwork; 04-21-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #14
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Of course, all this conclusion rests on the assumption that 9.7 inch reader will come out by the end of this year at the stated price.
Note, as I posted already on the other page. As I read Astak/Netronix they say that stylus capability is *optional*. So the half the cost price is very likely without stylus capability. You add that option you will be very likely much closer to the todays iLiad price...

Crystal balls, crysal balls, nobody knows what exactly the future holds. What exactly future device will be able to do and won't, and how much they will really cost...
Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 AM   #15
soilwork
useR!

Quote:
Note, as I posted already on the other page. As I read Astak/Netronix they say that stylus capability is *optional*.
[Link A]https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=12
[Link B]https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=8

Link A says that 9.7 inch reader will come with touch integrated. Of course, it is not clear whether it is equivalent to stylus or not.
Both link A and B say that touch screen will be optional for 5 inch and 6 inch reader. Neither link A nor link B says that touch screen will be optional for 9 inch reader. In addition, there is no mention about stylus. So I am assuming the touch screen can allow scribble but of course, it may not be the case.

Of course, I agree it is hard to predict what the actual price will be. I just hope that Astak/Netronix can stick to their stated price

Last edited by soilwork; 04-22-2008 at 03:28 AM.