Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #211
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have to get permission from a British government department to publish the KJV in the UK. Permission is always granted, and there's no cost involved. It's just a nominal thing to satisfy the requirements of crown copyright.

EDIT: A little research reveals that it's actually the Cambridge University Press, who are the crown's "agents" for the KJV copyright, that you need to get permission from. Full details are at:

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/worship...ds/litcopy.rtf

(warning: it's an RTF file)

Last edited by HarryT; 12-23-2010 at 02:48 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #212
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have to get permission from a British government department to publish the KJV in the UK. Permission is always granted, and there's no cost involved. It's just a nominal thing to satisfy the requirements of crown copyright.
Thanks, Harry. That's interesting. I had no idea.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #213
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Harry, is it just UK or all Commonwealth countries?
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #214
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Meanwhile, I have published the OSNOVA Study Bible.

The OSNOVA Study Bible includes the Holy Bible and the following Bible study resources:

* The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge (500,000 Scripture cross-references) by R.A. Torrey
* How to Study the Bible for Greatest Profit (a course on Bible study methods) by R.A. Torrey
* Daily Bread (one-year Bible reading calendar) by R.M. M’Cheyne

This edition incorporates an active table of contents, a joystick navigation between chapters, and a cross-reference system between the Bible study resources and the included Bible (with Direct Verse Jump and Direct Verse Jump 2), which makes it easy to locate any place within the Bible study resources or the Scriptures in seconds. The table of contents allows navigation to any chapter of the Scriptures, with the hyperlinked dot to the right of each chapter leading to the corresponding place in the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. Each title and each verse number in the included Bible is hyperlinked to the corresponding passage in the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, and each reference in the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge is hyperlinked to the corresponding passage in the Bible.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:29 AM   #215
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Harry, is it just UK or all Commonwealth countries?
I believe it's just the UK.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #216
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

A person, who goes by Dougie Quick on Amazon, has left me a scathing review with only 2 stars. I will reprint his entire review below but first I would like to invite discussion about whether “it is unbiblical to charge money” for “digital copies of the KJV [I guess any translation for that matter] Bible.” On another note, there are hundreds of free KJV Bibles available on the Internet, including on Mobileread. Also, if you can’t afford the OSNOVA edition of the Bible but would really like it for your Kindle, please send me an email and I will send you a copy for free.

====
Review by Dougie Quick on Amazon:

I just can not warm up to the idea of someone making money on digital copies of the KJV Bible. It is unbiblical to charge money although I see nothing wrong with asking for donations to help in ongoing improvements. For years and years the Online Bible for your computer has been totally free to download with folks constantly tweaking and improving things just for the love of getting it out to folks. The Bible is not just another book if you want to make money pick some other books, not the Bible. It would be better there were NONE available yet than to charge because that would encourage all sorts of folk with the proper mindset to leap into action. As it stands I would not doubt for a second that there are roadblocks to folks desirous to get free open source editions of the KJV Bible onto Kindle as well as the other readers. Again the Bible is NOT anything like all the other books, the arguments that seem right fair for other literature simply do NOT apply with the Scriptures! By all means ask for donations if money is needed but for your own sake even do not think to make your living in bringing the Bible to your fellow man! I am not accusing any individual(s) specifically, I guess what I am saying is this looks bad so far, what is going on? Has anyone tried to simply adapt the online Bible to Kindle? How hard can it be?
Old 12-25-2010, 04:44 AM   #217
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ridiculous. There's absolutely nothing wrong with charging money for a nicely formatted public domain book. Does this person think that your time is free? As for the "it's not just another book", stuff, I leave that one for the theologians. It certainly is "a book" (well, many books, I suppose).
Old 12-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #218
waller4343
Enthusiast
waller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle DX, K3, iPad
I wonder if he gets upset with Borders for charging for their bibles. I have several bibles from several sources and every one of them cost either me or someone else money. Gideon is the only version I know of that is free and I don't feel comfortable removing them from the hotel rooms.

I paid for the "enhancements" in the bibles I own. That is why I have absolutely no problem paying for your electronic versions. At least with them I am assured of a quality experience. I think I have 7 of your products and thanks to the work you put into them bible study has never been so simple. I do a search on a verse and shortly I can compare the KJV (both vpl and paragraphed), WEB, NET, ASV, the Study Bible and the Henry's Commentaries. I change my primary dictionary to the encyclopedia and get some great depth to my studies. I also use Easton's for the same purpose.

Finally, I am guessing you aren't going to become wealthy from the sales of your products, so no - it's not "unbiblical" to charge for your enhancements that make reading and studying the bible so convenient. As for the reviewer's comment "It would be better there were NONE available yet than to charge because that would encourage all sorts of folk with the proper mindset to leap into action"- bunk. I imagine that there were the same sort of mindsets against Gutenberg when he started selling his copies of the first mass produced bibles.

If my spending 5 bucks will help you to continue your fine work then it is money well spent. Thank you for your efforts.
waller4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #219
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Dougie is certainly entitled to his opinion. But he sounds like he's wound a bit tight. For whatever reason, I think Dougie just latched onto your version to paste his comment that sounds like a general rant to anyone charging for digital versions of the Bible.

I wonder if Dougie is only concerned with the KJV version? Why not the NET, WEB, or any other version for that matter? What about an audiobook d/l of the same? If he doesn't care for the enhancements that osnova's digital version brings, he most certainly doesn't have to buy it.

His last couple of sentences reveal his ignorance. (How hard can it be?) Afterall, nothing is impossible to the man who doesn't have to do it.

Whatever. I say shake the dust off your feet and move ahead. And I hope you prosper by selling the enhanced versions. Although I think that has nothing to do with the issue whatsoever.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #220
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Charging CERTAINLY Justified

Osnova has added something unique to his Bibles and certainly should charge for them. The Direct Verse Jump feature is INVALUABLE and was not included in any of the original Bibles especially since they were written long before eBibles existed.

That individual, who criticized charging, just doesn't know what DVJ is and probably never tried it.

All he has to do is try the NIV eBible without DVJ and compare it to the DVJ KJV and NET to see the big difference and the value received for the charge.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #221
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Osnova has added something unique to his Bibles and certainly should charge for them. The Direct Verse Jump feature is INVALUABLE and was not included in any of the original Bibles especially since they were written long before eBibles existed.

That individual, who criticized charging, just doesn't know what DVJ is and probably never tried it.

All he has to do is try the NIV eBible without DVJ and compare it to the DVJ KJV and NET to see the big difference and the value received for the charge.
I guess its value depends how you read the book. Personally I don't jump around all over the place - I just read it straight through. It has little value for readers such as myself. I can see, though, that if you're the sort of person who jumps around in a book, it would be beneficial.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #222
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Bible Usage patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess its value depends how you read the book. Personally I don't jump around all over the place - I just read it straight through. It has little value for readers such as myself. I can see, though, that if you're the sort of person who jumps around in a book, it would be beneficial.
I read the day's verses for Kindle WiFi in "The One Year Bible NLT" by Tyndale. It's not an Osnova Bible. I go to each day's selection and read it. If I miss days, I just go to the current day in that Kindle eBible. When I find notable verses, I can use DVJ to locate them in the NET and KJV for highlighting and notations.

The KJV and NET are Osnova eBibles with DVJ. Those are useful for Bible Studies where the leader is always jumping around. It allows one to keep up.

The NowBible has a dramatized spoken NIV with great sound effects and a form of direct verse jump as well. I use that one as a utility to alternate with my Kindle WiFi eBibles and for specialized uses in Bible Studies.

Both the Kindle WiFi and NowBible allow loading and play back of sacred songs which I use as well.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #223
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I believe it would be unethical to grab download a copy from say, Project Gutenberg, then turn around and upload it for sale with absolutely no enhancements; but what you've done is entirely different. You've formatted the work and worked out a unique navigation system. In short, you've added your own labor to the work, and as such, you are entitled to be paid for that labor. That reviewer is way off base with his criticism.

The labourer is worthy of his hire.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #224
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I believe it would be unethical to grab download a copy from say, Project Gutenberg, then turn around and upload it for sale with absolutely no enhancements; but what you've done is entirely different. You've formatted the work and worked out a unique navigation system. In short, you've added your own labor to the work, and as such, you are entitled to be paid for that labor. That reviewer is way off base with his criticism.

The labourer is worthy of his hire.
Totally agree. It has added value and that's worth something.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #225
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
I'm trying to find an ebook version of the Complete Jewish Bible. This version keeps the Hebrew names intact in the NT and also has more of a "Hebrew perspective" kind of feel to it.

I found one here but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put it on the Kindle since it probably has DRM...
http://www.franklin.com/estore/produ...03dlda/#second
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote