Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #61
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I do agree. My Sony PRS-300 is instant on, direct to the page I was last reading. So this would be a big plus for Kobo's to have.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #62
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I'd bet your PRS-300 is closer to "stand-by" than "off".

For me I'd be happy if the Kobo went into stand-by after half an hour of inactivity and stayed there, which would give instant-on.

In my opinion, full boot for devices like the Kobo should be used for firmware upgrades and to problem-solve only.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #63
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Completely agree.

I alternate between both and that is the one issue that detracts from the Kobo reading experience. If it was instant on....
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #64
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Lack of instant-on is my top niggle too. It's a reasonable expectation to have.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #65
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
My wish list, in order of importance:

1. Ability to adjust margins. I have too many books with margins that reduce the text to newspaper-column width!

2. Elimination of the little page numbers in the margins that often obscure text and which are totally pointless.

3. More control over how books are sorted. I'd like to be able to create my own categories on my PC, sort books there, and just dump it all into the Kobo when I'm through futzing with it all.

4. Two-line entries for books, with no covers, as an option. [Wake up, dodo! It already does this!]

5. Up and down buttons would advance/go back one chapter, if the book is encoded properly, or 10 pages. I'm willing to go to the menu to adjust type size.

6. Ability to load in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations and pick a random quote from it to display, about anything, not restricted to books.

Last edited by J. Strnad; 08-31-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Item #4.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #66
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I'm amazed at what legs this thread has had. Weeks and weeks, and it's still on the first page.

And the suggestions are all good! No flames!

Wow!
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #67
cmm
swizzle
cmm began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I'd be happy with just two:

An option to disable (or adjust the time setting of) the sleep/power-off feature.

Get rid of the little page numbers in the right margi84.
cmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #68
Rothbardian
Rothbardian began at the beginning.

With one day's experience with the thing, here's my wishlist:

Get rid of the arrows around and text at the bottom (side, when landscape) of the screen; they get in the way when reading PDFs.

For PDFs: quick-jump to the bottom of the page, and return again -- for reading footnotes!
Related: quick-jump to another page, and return (for end-notes. Note that some books have both. If you change the page while in an end-notes-jump, it should remember the new page when you return, and go there next time. If you page-forward in a footnote-jump, it should display the bottom of the page, where the continued-footnote will be...)

Quick-navigation (go-to-page; a scroll-bar type thing that could move without updating the entire page, if that can be done in real-time, would be preferable, I think)

Read-while-charging

Ability to switch style sheets in epubs that have more than one (e.g., when the link element pointing at the style sheet has a title attribute)

And finally, a "pony": the ability to slave the thing to the computer, when connected -- let the computer draw on the screen and most of the buttons (the D-pad in particular) simply tell the computer they've been pressed, with no further function.

Oh, I nearly forgot: DjVu support!

Last edited by Rothbardian; 08-26-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Rothbardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:04 AM   #69
Ronny
Ronny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo,cybook gen3
*The ability to save books bought from the kobo store on your computer.
* The big margins solved
*deleting books with the reader itself.
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #70
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=Ronny;1075858]*The ability to save books bought from the kobo store on your computer.
QUOTE]

You can store the books on your computer through ADE. As soon as you open a book in ADE it saves in a file on your computer called Adobe Digital Editions... (I can't remember exactly what it's called ), you can then move/copy them to another folder or USB/SD Card.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #71
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I'm amazed at what legs this thread has had. Weeks and weeks, and it's still on the first page.

And the suggestions are all good! No flames!

Wow!
Me too - thanks everyone for all the feedback.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #72
Ronny

[QUOTE=Pookeysgirl;1076470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
*The ability to save books bought from the kobo store on your computer.
QUOTE]

You can store the books on your computer through ADE. As soon as you open a book in ADE it saves in a file on your computer called Adobe Digital Editions... (I can't remember exactly what it's called ), you can then move/copy them to another folder or USB/SD Card.
Thanks,gonna try it.But could be easier,isn't it?Like copy - paste.
Thats why I mentioned it.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #73
Rothbardian
Rothbardian began at the beginning.

Oh, I have another wish-list item -- in the number 1 position: a flash-card app, preferably compatible with Anki!!
Rothbardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #74
Ronny

@pookeysgirl

Bought books don't show up in ADE,but that will be another discussion
I guess
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #75
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
@pookeysgirl

Bought books don't show up in ADE,but that will be another discussion
I guess
Sorry, I guess I just assumed everybody's used ADE . You have to go into your Kobo account, into your library and beside the book you want click "Download EPub", click Open and it will open in ADE. That's when it goes into the folder I mentioned before.

I personally don't like ADE and that's the only thing I use it for.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote