Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
BillG
BillG
BillG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New to forum

I have purchased a kindle2. Haven't received yet. A very nice lady was willing to let me handle hers and I was impressed. I have a lot to learn and she recommended this site and its forums as a place to start. In time, I'm sure, I will spend some money at Amazon and buy some books; but right now, I'm looking for free stuff -- so -- if you have any recommendations for me; I'm beginning my learning process.

By the by, I downloaded and installed Caliber. Nice program. Reading the news paper in Caliber's view was what convinced me to buy the Kindle. I rather liked reading the newspaper in the viewer.

I live in the Rocky Mountain area, outside of Denver Colorado. I have been reading the Rocky Mountain News for years. They recently went under. I sure do miss my Rocky each morning! (I don't want to subscribe to the Denver Post -- to liberal for me.) And that is the reason I started looking at the kindle. I didn't really even consider any others. Lack of knowledge more than anything else. (My poor wife... she heard about my desire for a kindle for weeks before I broke down and spent the money.)
BillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Welcome Bill.

For free books you can of course check Amazon publishers are always giving stuff away (sort by price [add -domain to the search to exclude public domain stuff]).

If you like SciFi the Baen Free Library is a great resource.

For public domain stuff you can get very nicely formatted stuff here (click ebooks at the top of the page) and also Feedbooks is nice.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting to mention.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
BillG
BillG
BillG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks... been to Baen's site, looked at his books. GREAT. I do like SiFi, thought I admit, I kind of grew out of it the last 30 years. Use to subscribe to Analog -- again 30 years ago. But... now with my kindle, I do believe I will read a few!
BillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello BillG
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi BillG and welcome to MobileRead. If you haven't read '1632' by Eric Flint, you might start with that one. It's free on Baen as is '1633'.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert