Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Paperwhite 4 - Frontlight

Hi,

I was wondering. Can the Paperwhite 4 front light be switched off completely? The Paperwhite 3 couldn't do it but it was possible with the Oasis 1 and 2.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I adjusted the light to its lowest setting and took the PW4 into a dark closet. I couldn't see any trace of light so I would say yes, you can turn the light off completely.

Edit: With my PW2, you can still see light with the setting down all the way. Same with the Voyage.

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-22-2018 at 03:47 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Noice. Thanks.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:04 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
PW3 with 5.10.1.1
You can hardly see a glow at minimum in absolute dark. Does seem strange it doesn't go off. No obvious difference on/off in normal lighting. I think it was slightly obvious with first front lit model.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
PW3 with 5.10.1.1
You can hardly see a glow at minimum in absolute dark. Does seem strange it doesn't go off. No obvious difference on/off in normal lighting. I think it was slightly obvious with first front lit model.
Yeah. 0 on the first PW was around 6-8 on the PW2/3. Also, the cones are far more visible.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
This new pw4 shut off the light totally at 0. keeping it at the first levels give it a light glow that makes the page more withe in normal condition, you can see the light only in complete dark
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:42 AM   #7
hakama
hakama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PP3
Hello,

Is there any point in upgrading my Kindle PP 3 (G090 5.9.6.1) > to PP4 to a few grams less? Does the backlight and screen have an improvement?
The background is warmer in color?
hakama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakama View Post
Hello,

Is there any point in upgrading my Kindle PP 3 (G090 5.9.6.1) > to PP4 to a few grams less? Does the backlight and screen have an improvement?
I don't think there is much of an improvement but that's up to you! Pw is thinier and weight less, they added one led (5 led total) so it's more even on the screen (and can be turned off completely) there is a flush screen so that the reader is waterproof, plus there is BT to listen audible. The led aren't warm at all and there is some peoople that says the text is a little washed out on this one... I'm not sure of it since i'm new on PW before this one i was on a K4 . Anyway i'm appreciating the PW4 but i don't think i would have upgraded from a PW3
Old 11-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakama View Post
For me, lighting has improved. I don't see dark cones on the bottom on the PW4 like I did with the PW3. I've got multiples of both and in general, its seems the PW4 has more even lighting compared to the PW3.

That said, PW4 is a bit worse than PW3 in some respects. Glare is more apparent on the PW4. It's nowhere near as bad as smartphones or tablets but it's noticeable.

Also, it's like the text is farther from you (not sure if I'm making sense here). Best comparison I have is the PW4 is like the iPad Air (or 5th/6th gen 9.7") with air gap while the PW3 is like iPad Air 2 without air gap. Because of the increase in air gap, text on the PW4 looks more washed out compared to the PW3.

As for warmth, PW4 is not warmer (at least not by design). Mind, I find LED and background color tends to vary from Kindle to Kindle anyway. You can put two PW3s side by side and chances are they're not gonna match in terms of color temperature.

TL;DR
I got the PW4 solely for waterproofing. If you don't need that or Audible, probably not worth upgrading from a PW3.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
kript96
Enthusiast

I noticed the text farther from you, probably cause the flush screen, same for the washed out text. Unfortunately since i'm coming from a k4 i don't really have a way to compare things, but i'm actually asking myself if it was better to have a PW3, since i don't use BT and don't have any real application for the waterproof feature... What i like a lot about this one is the weight, a lot similar to my old kindle the even light and the rubberish back

Last edited by kript96; 11-27-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I had been using Voyage, which I found significantly better than my PW3. To me lighting is more even on PW4 than PW3 and as good as Voyage (albeit without auto brightness adjustment). Text is a bit lighter than Voyage, but not so much that it bothers me (I use bold +2 on both). I’ve been using it without a cover, so it is much lighter and comfortable to hold. I’ll be using VoiceView a little more because Bluetooth is more convenient than carrying wires around. So for now it is my preferred Kindle.

My PW3 is ‘on loan’ so I cannot do a direct comparison of text of PW4, but I think I would find it comparable.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Living in a retirement home with several Kindles of my own as well as helping my neighbors with their Kindles I get to see a lot of Kindles, mostly Paperwhites but other models as well. I have 4 Paperwhites and a Voyage.

I see more difference from one unit to the next, even of the same model than I see between models. Every screen looks a little different.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:55 AM   #13
kript96
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Living in a retirement home with several Kindles of my own as well as helping my neighbors with their Kindles I get to see a lot of Kindles, mostly Paperwhites but other models as well. I have 4 Paperwhites and a Voyage.

I see more difference from one unit to the next, even of the same model than I see between models. Every screen looks a little different.

Barry
What about PW4, do you already have one of those? Do you think the text is a little washed out?

I actually notice it but after some reading it doesn't bother me anymore, i' m not even using bolding, just bookerly at 6 (default values) and the light at 9
Old 11-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I've had my PW4 for 5 days now. At first the washed out look of the text bothered me a lot. But the software update seems to have helped it (or I just got used to it). I also played with the boldness settings. I have settled on Amazon Ember (I prefer san serif) with a Bold 2 setting and I am happy with it. The light seems very even to me. I guess I would call the color of the light on the cool side. The bezels seem a little smaller than the Voyage and at first I kept turning pages inadvertently but my case came a couple of days later and that helped. I am still a bit angry that my Voyage didn't even last 2 years, but I am happy with the PW4.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I've had my PW4 for 5 days now. At first the washed out look of the text bothered me a lot. But the software update seems to have helped it (or I just got used to it).
Lol, I think I stopped noticing it after the first 5 minutes. All my non-Amazon books are mobi so no on-the-fly changes for font-weight but the default works fine for me anyhow. I frequently download books via wireless content server using the experimental browser and between covers (mobi) and boldness (azw3), I choose covers.

Anyway, I'm very happy with not needing ziploc bags for bath tub reading anymore.