Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question [MacOS] I need a new Calibre library

I hope I don't get banned from the forums for posting this, because my issue has been posted elsewhere, as a response to previous users' posts. But I don't know what to do to get my Calibre library back.

I have tried restoring my Calibre library from backups, and either get a message that no valid library is present when I try to switch libraries in the Calibre app, or, it seems to import my backup library, then shows zero books.

I have attempted this restoring while Calibre is closed, per earlier instructions. I end up with multiple Calibre directories that I didn't create.

I don't know what exactly I did to create this mess, but the more I try to fix it, the worse it seems to get. I have the ebook files on my computer, it's just trying to get them into a Calibre library that I am having problems with. Have spent more time than I want to admit trying to fix this.

I just want to restore or create a working library in Calibre. Is there not any way just to start from scratch?
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
how do I do this on a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont really understand what your issue is, since the number of things you could have done to arrive in this state is nearly infinite, but, here's how to reset everything.

1) Remove any calibre environment variables

2) Remove the calibre configuration directory. Reboot your computer.

3) Copy your old library folder off the NAS and on to a local hard disk

4) Delete the metadata.db file from that folder, if it exists

5) Start calibre from the command prompt as

calibre.exe --with-library "C:/path/to/your/library folder/from/step/3"

6) You will get am empty library

7) Right click the calibre logo icon on the claibre toolbar and choose library maintenance->Rebuild database
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A valid Calibre Library has a Metadata.db file in its top level folder (the folder is the library name).

AFAIK that is all that is required to keep that message at bay. (all the books could still be MIA)
This is what SHOWS (lists) your books in the GUI as well as points to the file to perform any actions you call for
This Must Match the Library (version in time) with the Author / title folders
(the reason we advise folk to NOT mess beneath the skirts. one tiny change, breaks the linkages)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Min valid Library.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	167753  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
I hope I don't get banned from the forums for posting this, because my issue has been posted elsewhere, as a response to previous users' posts.
Moderator Notice
Fixed that for you - I'll also change the title to highlight you're using MacOS.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
bump

If there are any MacOS gurus around, perhaps they could respond to post #2 in this thread.

I think this thread from same OP is related ==>> [MacOS] read-only database

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Dang Chipahoy, did you get your problem resolved? I am not enough of a power user to comprehend your problem. I know that calibre doesn't backup the books themselves, so by backup would that pretty much amount to the Metadata.db file? The database file storing your metadata is corrupt?

There is debug mode tucked in the "Preferences" menu. It will restart the application and create a comprehensive log file documenting each event. Retrace the procedure you have described in your troubleshooting and when you quit, a txt file will popup. You can copy that here or on pastebin etc. For extra points make a video.

I have lost my metadata before and if you are so upset it is likely because your library is big and you invested a tremendous amount of time in compiling that metadata. I get it the pain you feel and can't promise to help you but at the very least we will update the ticket here with the log file (and video if you can manage). Still no luck we will post on the calibre Reddit page and I have an underground forum we can try too.

I am a mac user. My laptop has been thrown a few times and I appreciate the build quality but I know it can be difficult to find help :-)
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:12 PM   #7
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh oh oh! Another idea is to use a Windows machine, follow the prescribed steps you pasted from Kovid in the second post and if it works move the library back to the Mac. If you don't have access you can get a VPS or something that gives you the short term access.

When you are feeling low, remember that you at least haven't lost the books themselves haha

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 11-25-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: changed second step to 'second post', why do I feel like I need to provide a reason lol
Old 11-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Each of your calibre libraries should include metadata.db and metadata_db_prefs_backup.json

Unless you put them in ~/Library, Time Machine *should* back them up, but if not, I don't know what can help with that.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #9
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Each of your calibre libraries should include metadata.db and metadata_db_prefs_backup.json

Unless you put them in ~/Library, Time Machine *should* back them up, but if not, I don't know what can help with that.
MarjaE, it seems like you might have a better grasp of the issue he is describing. Can you explain it to me? All I *think* I understand is he has corrupt metadata and can't seem to restore... why would this occur?

Hoping he had his ebook files saved elsewhere *fingers crossed*
Old 11-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
MarjaE, it seems like you might have a better grasp of the issue he is describing. Can you explain it to me? All I *think* I understand is he has corrupt metadata and can't seem to restore... why would this occur?

Hoping he had his ebook files saved elsewhere *fingers crossed*
2 things that typically mess things bad:
1) The user did a 'bulk' operation (MDE in bullk mode, Delete All x)

2) Sync software not paused or restoring the wrong files from backups. metadata.db is lock-stepped to the folders in a particular Libraries contents for a Date and time.

A structurally damaged DB usually announces itself. Those are usually caused by the machine losing power or locking up while Calibre was working
Old 11-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I wish I knew what to do about this. I've had bad restores for other applications, so I'm not sure.

1. I think you *should* be able to move your existing library somewhere else, e.g. to the desktop, so it's untouched if restoration goes wrong.

2. And then if you have Time Machine backups, you should be able to go into Time Machine and restore the last good library. Exceptions are if it is in User/Libraries, because Time Machine does not back that up, or if it is excluded via System Preferences > Time Machine > Options.

If you can restore a good library via step 2, then you can probably ditch the bad library moved in step 1.

... Unless there's a problem with moving the library? It's a common technique when debugging Mac software.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You can put the Entire Library FOLDER any safe place.
The folders name IS the Library name. All you need to do if you move or rename that folder is
Right click the Library Icon: Switch Create: USE EXISTING : select the folder in its new location