Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Futrelle, Jacques: The Thinking Machine Omnibus (v1) 22 Jun 2018

This is I believe the most complete collection of "Thinking Machine" detective cases, as I have now tracked down 50 stories, and assembled them together in a single volume of some 350,000 words.

S F X Van Dusen, "The Thinking Machine", made his debut in 1905 in "The Problem of Cell 13"; in the short period between 1905 and his death on the Titanic in 1912, Futrelle wrote many short stories and novellas for the "slick" magazines, which paid vastly better than the "penny a word" pulps.

One of his main series characters (he had several) was "The Thinking Machine". He does not seem to have written a full-length novel; the longest story I have found is not much over 40,000 words ("The High Hand", not a "Thinking Machine" story.)

In his lifetime only one volume of his stories was published: "The Thinking Machine", 1907. I have modified the cover of this volume to create the cover for the omnibus, added a bibliographic note pointing to sources, and provided a frontispiece in the form of a formal portrait of the author.

There are 50 stories in all, and I would not be surprised if more turned up in the future.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	173680  
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Thinking Machine Omnibus (V - Jacques Futrelle.epub (1.10 MB, 600 views)

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 09-23-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:58 AM   #2
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I feel a little odd replying to a post more than five years old...

I read all the Jacques Futrelle books available at Project Gutenberg and really enjoyed them. Went in search of more of his work and found your collection. Thank you kindly for compiling so many of his stories together and making them easily available.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert