Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2022, 02:42 PM   #1
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
What would be stopping someone from manually cross flashing firmwares?

Say for example, if I wanted to flash PW3 5.14.2 on a Kindle Voyage (either through UYK [probably impossible without modifying the update file] or doing it manually through flashing the eMMC), what would really be stopping it from working? AFAIK since both have identical SoCs and same amount of ram, as well as the same screen resolution.

I hope this post is allowed, and I'm asking this question from a perspective of someone who doesn't know much at all about Kindle's own hardware. Would love to learn it more though.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:30 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanakomisa View Post
Say for example, if I wanted to flash PW3 5.14.2 on a Kindle Voyage (either through UYK [probably impossible without modifying the update file] or doing it manually through flashing the eMMC), what would really be stopping it from working? AFAIK since both have identical SoCs and same amount of ram, as well as the same screen resolution.

I hope this post is allowed, and I'm asking this question from a perspective of someone who doesn't know much at all about Kindle's own hardware. Would love to learn it more though.
If you try to install the a firmware from a different model Kindle, it just won't work. You won't be able to try installing it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanakomisa View Post

Other aspects of the hardware are different. People that have forced such installs via the serial port or before amazon had safeguards in place ended up with bricks.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@hanakomisa That particular thing (PW3 firmware 5.14.x on Voyage) has already been done

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=343385
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #5
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Other aspects of the hardware are different. People that have forced such installs via the serial port or before amazon had safeguards in place ended up with bricks.
Ah okay, makes sense, thanks for the answer.
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 04:30 PM   #6
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@hanakomisa That particular thing (PW3 firmware 5.14.x on Voyage) has already been done

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=343385
Oh I searched for related topics and couldn't find anything mentioning it, thanks for bringing this to my attention! (This makes me oddly happy for some reason)