Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #31
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
Just recently, I received this error message: 'could not convert string to float: #3.36'.

I thought an update would help, but sadly it did not. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I use this plug in all the time!

The full error log is:
calibre, version 2.33.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:could not convert string to float: #3.36

calibre 2.33 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && K4PC, K4Mac, Kindle Mobi and Topaz DeDRM && Inept Epub DeDRM && Goodreads Sync && Count Pages && Barnes & Noble && Goodreads_Rating && Resize Cover && eReader PDB 2 PML && Open With && Ignoble Epub DeDRM && Goodreads && Reading List && View Manager && Inept PDF DeDRM && Find Duplicates && BigOven Recipe Reader && frating
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.frating.main", line 126, in start_change
File "calibre_plugins.frating.main", line 111, in change
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 465, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1299, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1241, in protected_set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1221, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1043, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\write.py", line 509, in set_books
File "site-packages\calibre\db\write.py", line 509, in <dictcomp>
File "site-packages\calibre\db\write.py", line 88, in adapt_number
ValueError: could not convert string to float: #3.36
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #32
Pr.BarnArt
Addict
Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 902 / Ipad air/ kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidsmom View Post
Just recently, I received this error message: 'could not convert string to float: #3.36'.
According to the error Maniattico mentioned tearlier, he error could be related to the publishers name with any of these characters: á, é, í, ó or ú

Maniatticco did not share the solution and I dont know any Publisher with th one of these characters. I do not use goodreads by myself.
Can you give me the name/author or ISBN of the book that produced the error, so I can take a look.
Pr.BarnArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #33
thekidsmom
Connoisseur

All of the books I downloaded from Amazon after July 22 are returning this error message. For example; Fashionista by Vanessa McKnight.

And I checked the publishers for all those books....they are from a myriad of publishers.

Thanks for your brain power!
Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #34
thekidsmom
Connoisseur

I noticed something when I was focused on the publisher field.

Now, the publisher field has info that looks like this: MIRA#Pr.Barnart#4.06.

Prior to the 'problems' it would like like this: Amazon Digital Services (or whatever the name of the publisher is).
Old 07-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #35
Pr.BarnArt
Addict
Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey,

I have made an update: frating 0.2.2 for dealing with special characters in the name of the Publisher.
In the starttopic of this thread you will find an attachment frating2-2.zip.
Just manual install this plugin en restart calibre. The goodreads file is still unchanged ( Yeah I know there is a newer version of goodreads )

Enjoy.
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #36
Bladesss
Bladesss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Random Books

This idea may not be possible or just beyond the scope of this plugin.

If you have the rating working and have a way of marking books as read/not-read. Can you use the ratings to recommend a book.

Concept:
using a temp variable. Sum the ratings of the books not read.
get a random number between 0 and the sum.
Add up the sums to find which book that random number represents. Jump to that book.
(this way you are 5 times as likely to get a 5 star recommendation then a one star recommendation).

Have a method to indicate you don't want that book. Repeat until it recommends a book you want to read.

Varient 1: Use the cube of the ratings. I would much rather read a 5 star book then a one star book. By cubing the ratings, I am 125 times more likely to get a 5 star book recomendation.

Varient 2: For books that dont have ratings, is it possible to use the average of the other rated books by the same author? Or if no rating by the author, have some method of noting and favoring award winning authors.

Varient 3: Have 2 ratings fields. The first is to store ratings from Goodreads or amazon. The 2nd, duplicates the first is available. The average of other books by the same author if available. Add one if it is an award winning author if known. Or use a default of 2 for an unrated book (even an unknown book is better then a book with a rating of one). Use the 2nd rating to select random books. The user should be able to enter ratings into the 2nd field, so that if he reads one good book by an author and rates it, then it will recommend more books of that author.

I do something like this in a spreadsheet. It would be nice is Calibre could do something like it.

Last edited by Bladesss; 07-30-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Bladesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #37
thekidsmom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr.BarnArt View Post
Hey,

I have made an update: frating 0.2.2 for dealing with special characters in the name of the Publisher.
In the starttopic of this thread you will find an attachment frating2-2.zip.
Just manual install this plugin en restart calibre. The goodreads file is still unchanged ( Yeah I know there is a newer version of goodreads )

Enjoy.
Beautiful! It works perfectly. Thanks so much for your efforts and time!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #38
thekidsmom
Connoisseur

I realized today that when choosing metadata sources, it's helpful to have ONLY the goodreads source chosen (ie not Amazon too). When I had both Goodreads and Amazon chosen as metadata sources, the rating wasn't always coming through.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If a book is new enough, the ratings from Goodreads are 100% worthless as a lot of people rate books before they are even released and have not yet read them. So what you get is ratings based on their expectations and not based on reading. So I would say give it a year after release to get things sorted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #40
thekidsmom
Connoisseur

Is anyone having problems with this plugin not returning decimal ratings? Just recently I've been getting 0 results. Error log is here (any advice appreciated!):

calibre, version 2.50.1
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Just One Song', u'authors': [u'Stacey Lynn'], u'identifiers': {u'amazon': u'B00CB2ITZS', u'mobi-asin': u'B00CB2ITZS'}}
Using plugins: Goodreads_Rating
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads_Rating ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.78 Safari/532.5')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads_Rating took 1.90799999237
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Just+One+Song+Stacey+Lynn
No matches found with identifiers, retrying using only title and authors
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Just+One+Song+Stacey+Lynn
No matches found with query: u'http://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=Just+One+Song+Stacey+Lynn'

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 2.03 seconds
The longest time (1.908000) was taken by: Goodreads_Rating
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you read the message, it isn't to do with the rating being a decimal. The error states that it didn't find any books.

The problem is that the search results page changed recently. The plugin needs to be changed to match. It's probably the same change that I made recently for the Goodreads metadata source plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #42
Pr.BarnArt
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

The problem is that the search results page changed recently. The plugin needs to be changed to match. It's probably the same change that I made recently for the Goodreads metadata source plugin.

You are right. Goodreads is very much based on the goodreads plugin from Kiwidude/Davidfor. The previous version was based on goodreads 1.1.8.
I adjust the goodreadsX to the latest version 1.1.11.
You can find it (goodreadsX 0.2.1) at the start of this thread or right under this text.

GoodreadX is not a plugin that is presented within Calibre.
You have to do a manual install through load by file in the preference section.
As far as I can see, you can just use load by file, the previous version will be overwritten. But if you are not sure,you can first delete the older version and then install the new one.

It is ment for use in combination with frating ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: zip goodreadsX-2.1.zip (21.3 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by Pr.BarnArt; 02-12-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #43
thekidsmom
Connoisseur

@Pr.BarnArt--as always, you are super helpful and speedy too! I really do appreciate your efforts. I use this at least 3-4 times a week and love the feature.

Thanks for your positive words and for helping someone with very little coding knowledge (as in none) understand how to move forward. The file works as you stated--a simple overwrite did the trick.

Have a great weekend.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #44
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I am wondering why the rating has to come from the Publisher. I know that when I export my GR shelves the average rating is listed. I have been doing that since I have had Calibre, and it sucks to do because it requires me matching all those books and making sure the field is empty to start...
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #45
mariaclaudia
Zealot
mariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
This is a very usefull plugin for me. However, looks like it's only work if Calibre set in english languaje, because when I use with spanish, nothing happend after I use frating for set decimals, but if I use english, all looks fine.

Sorry my grammar
Regards from Lima, Perú
Blessings
mariaclaudia is offline   Reply With Quote