Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Glad to see you recognize the difference between reflection and dishonesty, which is an important distinction.
I can recognise the difference between sarcasm and dishonesty, too.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
B&N's nook has always been Android based. So yes, it can be done and has been done.
You're answering a question I didn't ask.

I've been reading up on the Nook. Seems Android is a good choice: as trekchick points out, Android is very power efficient. I wasn't really thinking about under-the-bonnet stuff but was visualising a tablet style graphical interface!

I guess we'll find out soon enough what OS Sony has opted for.
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the T1 does have Android, I can see it being jailbroken and allowing us to run other apps on it. One could then run the nook app, the Kobo app, the Kindle app, and any other reading app one wants.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
I don't see why Nate slams that blog every chance he gets...
Anyone who has 'the Great' as a username will always consider others to be inferior.

Personally I decide who I consider to be 'great', and I have no time for those who try to tell me they are.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Anyone who has 'the Great' as a username will always consider others to be inferior.

Personally I decide who I consider to be 'great', and I have no time for those who try to tell me they are.
Hahahaha

It's a literary character! It's from a children's book where the main character (nate the great) is an investigator.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #21
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They're also using Windows on their PCs, so why not use it on the new Sony Reader? You can't beat the features or format support.
Oh goody, time to have a cup of tea between page turns.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post
Oh goody, time to have a cup of tea between page turns.
You could also do the crossword.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #23
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
I can recognise the difference between sarcasm and dishonesty, too.
Apparently I can't, because I'm not certain who or what you're interpreting as sarcastic. If you mean my comment, I can assure you it wasn't meant sarcastically at all. If you mean juxtapose's comment, then I'm not sure I follow. If you meant his original deleted comment, then I'm afraid I missed it.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #24
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post

You might want to lurk a little more before you post.

Nate is pretty great around here - he's been here longer and done more for the community than I suspect you will.

He's earned the respect, and the nickname.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #25
Arrghus
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Apparently I can't, because I'm not certain who or what you're interpreting as sarcastic. If you mean my comment, I can assure you it wasn't meant sarcastically at all. If you mean juxtapose's comment, then I'm not sure I follow. If you meant his original deleted comment, then I'm afraid I missed it.
I'll hold my hands up and apologise. I thought you were being sarcastic. juxtapose's initial comment annoyed me enough to point out that he had changed it. I suppose he felt it was a little strong, and I should have left him alone in rectifying what I considered a misguided remark about Nate.

Sorry.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #26
Arrghus
Zealot

Will the new Sony have the ability to adjust line spacing, paragraph spacing and indentation, fonts, and all the other cool stuff like the Nook Simple Touch can? I'm increasingly frustrated at the amount of EPUBs I have that I can only assume do not have a top margin defined and so the text almost reaches the bezel of my reader!

And I hope they opt for non-glossy buttons (if they choose to place buttons on the front of the device at all): the glare (most evident when using an LED light) that comes off them is most distracting.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #27
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
They're also using Windows on their PCs, so why not use it on the new Sony Reader? You can't beat the features or format support.
Oh good grief no! I do not want a blue screen of death every time I tried to open War and Peace!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #28
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
Quote:
You don't know the whole history. I have an issue with them because:
  • I caught them committing piracy,
  • I caught them a second time after they swore they stopped the piracy,
  • they have posted paid reviews/adverts in various places that attack me while praising them,
  • they sent a letter to my webhost that accused me of libel,
  • I suspect them of sock-puppetting a defense of their piracy in the comments of my blog,
  • and because trolls from their site came around to eBookNewser and harassed me on the job.

EDIT: How can take the word of someone who has been caught lying? That would make them demonstrably untrustworthy, and that goes double for bloggers.
You also have a tin foil hat? Sounds like a fair amount of your gripes you have 0 proof, other then it seems like you have problems with a rival blog.
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #29
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
Will the new Sony have the ability to adjust line spacing, paragraph spacing and indentation, fonts, and all the other cool stuff
Just as my Sony 950 can do with PRS+ installed. It sure would be nice if they manage to surpass what is already available.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #30
Arrghus
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Just as my Sony 950 can do with PRS+ installed. It sure would be nice if they manage to surpass what is already available.
Well, I can't do all that with my PRS-350 and PRS+! And it would be nice to be able to do all that 'out of the box'.

There is a thing called 'Reading Life' available on the Kobo Touch. That looks pretty neat, and as a fan of statistics, it would be neat to track how long it takes one to read a book. Not essential, but neat nonetheless. Of course I'm wary of straying too far away from a pure reading experience...

I love PRS+, but I have never, and shall never, bother with the 'games' that come with the package.