Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
FavSport:Reading
Enthusiast
FavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Book covers not loading properly on Kobo Forma

I just bought a Kobo Forma and love it. I use Calibre to side load a lot of my books. The covers do not load properly on a lot of the books. They are either very small or not there at all. This is not a problem when loading them to my nook. I would really love a solution to this problem. Any thoughts?
FavSport:Reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That is, probably, working as designed.

From the description, I guess you are sideloading epubs. For these, Kobo create the cover by rendering the first page of the book. So, if the first page has a small image stuck in the top left corner, that is what the device will show. You should see this when you open the book on the device, the calibre viewer, or any other epub reader. If this isn't the case, I'd need to see an example to see what was going on.

The, to me, best fix is to fix the cover page in the book. Calibre can do this with a conversion or the Polish books function. Or you can edit the books.

You can also have calibre generate the cover images and send them to the device when sending the books to the device. There is an option in the driver to do this. And for books already on the device, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to send just the covers.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
JohnnyENZ
JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FavSport:Reading View Post
I just bought a Kobo Forma and love it. I use Calibre to side load a lot of my books. The covers do not load properly on a lot of the books. They are either very small or not there at all. This is not a problem when loading them to my nook. I would really love a solution to this problem. Any thoughts?
I had this issue for some of my epubs which were sideloaded. Calibre fixed it with editing metadata and downloading a higher resolution cover from any of the sources that had one.

A couple of books I had to google search a cover and download it and select the cover that way but it completely fixed the issue.
JohnnyENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
mountian
mountian began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
I met this problem twice, while it can be fixed when restart the machine...you can try...
mountian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
you can download covers, along with other metadata, from calibre. if the covers you find are too small and are not displayed well on the kobo there is the plugin Prettify Cover that works very well.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
Enthusiast
FavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheese

Yes, they are tiny little images, although some have no images at all (only the name of the book and author, etc.) Where do I find Polish Book function? Is that complicated? I need this to be somewhat user friendly for me.

I did download the Kobo Utilities plugin. I also got Prettify Cover plugin. Once you have the plugins, do they just automatically do their magic or do I have to do something special to make it happen? I only know how to edit the metadata as needed. I have turned the device off and back on, but would rather not take it back to factory settings. I’m thinking that is not going to work. I have tried adding new covers and downloading new covers from the Edit Metadata function. Nothing works. The covers are still small. Not all of them are this way. The majority of them loaded correctly, but there are several that I need to fix.

Last edited by FavSport:Reading; 12-10-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Configure the prettify cover plugin with the little arrow at right side of the icon, You can set up the desired dimension of covers. Then select the book whose cover you want to change and click on the icon.
After modified covers, With the Kobo Utilities plugin You can "upload covers for selected book". It works well.

Last edited by ps67; 12-10-2018 at 04:39 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Ok. I now understand how to use prettify. The instructions in there say to then use Polish Books. I went to plugins to get it but it doesn't give me the option to install it. I don't know how to make it work. It doesn't show up with the icons. No idea how to use it. Any ideas? Sorry to be such a pain.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Ok. I now understand how to use prettify. The instructions in there say to then use Polish Books. I went to plugins to get it but it doesn't give me the option to install it. I don't know how to make it work. It doesn't show up with the icons. No idea how to use it. Any ideas? Sorry to be such a pain.
'Polish books' is a standard calibre utility. Add it to one of your calibre menus/toolbars via
Preferences > Change calibre behavior > Toolbars & menus

Once you've done that you can update the covers inside each selected epub by running 'Polish books' with the 'Update the cover in the book files' option checked.

Although you might have good reasons for wanting to do all of the above, I should point out that it is not strictly necessary if all you want to do is update the cover thumbnails/screensavers on your Kobo. As davidfor has already said, once you have covers you're happy with in the calibre library metadata you can use the Kobo Utilities plugin ('Update covers for selected books' option) to update any existing thumbnails/screensavers on the Kobo.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[Started writing this earlier but got interrupted by work, so there is some duplication of what @jackie_w said.]

Polish books is part of calibre. Unless you have a very old calibre installation, it will be on the toolbar. The icon is a brush. If it isn't there, you can add it in the preferences on the "Toolbars & Menus" page.

But, you don't need to use Prettify. That is a way of fiddling with the cover in the calibre library. If you have a cover there already, it will usually be reasonable starting point. If you used metadata download to get a cover it will probably be all you need. Prettify is mainly for tweaking the cover image in some way.

My process is roughly:
  • Add the book to calibre.
  • Download the metadata including the cover. I choose the cover I like the best and is a decent size.
  • Update the cover in the book. This can be by using Polish books, the Modify ePub plugin, a conversion (only if other things need to happen) or just opening the editor (depends on the book).
  • Check everything looks good in the viewer.
  • Send to the device and look at it there.
  • Tweak things in the editor as needed.

Once the you have done the third step, if you change the cover later, calibre can automatically update the cover when you send the book to the device. Even if you haven't done this, calibre will try to update it, but might not be able to, or the results might not be as good.

And as has been said, my Kobo Utilities plugin has a function to replace the covers on the device if you change them or don't like how they look,
Old 12-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Enthusiast

Ok I'm getting closer. I have somehow managed to get a full size cover on the Home page. However, when looking at it in my Library, it is still small. I did use the Upload Cover for Selected Books. It didn't change it in the Library. What am I missing? Sorry to be so inept but I am learning thanks to all of you.

Last edited by FavSport:Reading; 12-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok I'm getting closer. I have somehow managed to get a full size cover on the Home page. However, when looking at it in my Library, it is still small. I did use the Upload Cover for Selected Books. It didn't change it in the Library. What am I missing? Sorry to be so inept but I am learning thanks to all of you.
Try restarting the device. There is some memory caching and the updated cover might not be reread immediately. Restarting will clear the cache.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #13
Enthusiast

That did it. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the help. It is so nice that there are people out there willing to help those of us who struggle with this stuff. Again, thank you!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That did it. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the help. It is so nice that there are people out there willing to help those of us who struggle with this stuff. Again, thank you!
You will find that MobileRead is a really friendly place and we do help when we can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote