Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I Have the Older 6"

So the internal storage is 4 gig & its getting Full. I have installed a 16 gig SDCard which it recognized as 14 So How can I transfer the ebooks to the SDCard? IF I do copy - paste will that just duplicate them? I no clue how to use this card
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
If you buy your books from the Kobo store, you don't have to do a thing; the E-reader will recognize the existence of the Micro SD card and start using it automatically when the main memory is full. You don't have to do a thing; the E-reader will manage its own resources.

If you get books from other sources, I recommend the free program Calibre. It will give you the choice of whether to put the books into main memory or on the Micro SD card.

By the way, on most Kobo models the main memory IS a Micro SD card -- just one that happens to be hidden under the back cover plate. In other words, you have two now, and there's no particular advantage to having books on one or the other.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
If you buy your books from the Kobo store, you don't have to do a thing; the E-reader will recognize the existence of the Micro SD card and start using it automatically when the main memory is full. You don't have to do a thing; the E-reader will manage its own resources.

If you get books from other sources, I recommend the free program Calibre. It will give you the choice of whether to put the books into main memory or on the Micro SD card.

By the way, on most Kobo models the main memory IS a Micro SD card -- just one that happens to be hidden under the back cover plate. In other words, you have two now, and there's no particular advantage to having books on one or the other.
of course there's an advantage to using the external micro SD card slot it allows up to another 32GB worth of books rather than only the 4GB internal memory. the original Aura 6" doesn't have a micro SD card inside.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
koboy I was actually thinking of replacing the 4 gig glad to know it would not work

What happens when I Side load the ebooks from say a Flash drive? How does that work? Steps?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:53 AM   #5
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
koboy I was actually thinking of replacing the 4 gig glad to know it would not work

What happens when I Side load the ebooks from say a Flash drive? How does that work? Steps?
if you just copy and paste your sideloaded books directly onto the Aura then it works in exactly the same way when you sideload books onto the micro SD card. the only difference being the books will be on the SD card instead of the device but make sure the SD card is formatted in FAT 32.

best wishes koboy
Old 07-10-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

Just copy them onto the external uSD card. You can do this either by removing the uSD card from your Aura and plugging it into a card reader on your computer (my preferred method since it is faster) or connect your Aura using a USB cable. When you plug the card back into your Aura, it should do the same scan for new content as when you safely eject your Aura. My habit is to have a directory called eLibrary on the card just to keep the sideloaded books separate from the other directories on the card.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
@Koboy, you misunderstood what I wrote. My point was that there's no appreciable advantage to having any given book in internal memory vs. having it stored on the externally accessible Micro SD slot.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
@Koboy, you misunderstood what I wrote. My point was that there's no appreciable advantage to having any given book in internal memory vs. having it stored on the externally accessible Micro SD slot.
having reread it i can see that i misunderstood the point that you was making. it was my mistake and i apologise for it

best wishes koboy