Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Removing Page Numbers

I have a PDF I'm trying to convert to mobi.

At the bottom of each page there's a page number. For example on Page 3 it looks like this:

- 3 -

I believe the PDF was created from a Word doc so the page numbers are not official PDF footers - they're just a part of the text. I tried cropping the PDF to get rid of them but apparently they're still a part of the text because when I convert my cropped PDF, they still appear in the mobi output

What regular expression can I use to remove these page numbers?

Thanks!
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Scrap that question, I think this will work for me:

- [0-9]{1,3} -<br>
Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I can't answer your specific question, but I can tell you this:

Using as your screen name the title of THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE is either an act of ultimate self-effacement that would make the Dalai Lama proud, or a desperate plea for attention.

I know...people talk about PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE as the worst movie ever made, but they obviously have never seen MANOS! In comparison, PLAN NINE is CITIZEN KANE. It is RAGING BULL. It is GONE WITH THE WIND next to MANOS!

You are ill, my friend. Seek help.

P.S.: I love your avatar! What is it? A bit from a Tom Swift cover? Please tell!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
after crop you may have to do examine document and remove hidden text. Takes another minute or two.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There's a tutorial for use of regular expressions in Calibre. The introduction of regular expressions may be too simple, you appear to have a grasp on that, but after that, regexp usage in Calibre is explained. That part might be helpful.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
after crop you may have to do examine document and remove hidden text. Takes another minute or two.
Helen
Thanks! I didn't know that. I just tried removing hidden text and it worked great. That would have been the easier way to accomplish my goal.

But now I've learned two things!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I can't answer your specific question, but I can tell you this:

Using as your screen name the title of THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE is either an act of ultimate self-effacement that would make the Dalai Lama proud, or a desperate plea for attention.

I know...people talk about PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE as the worst movie ever made, but they obviously have never seen MANOS! In comparison, PLAN NINE is CITIZEN KANE. It is RAGING BULL. It is GONE WITH THE WIND next to MANOS!

You are ill, my friend. Seek help.

P.S.: I love your avatar! What is it? A bit from a Tom Swift cover? Please tell!
I'm a big fan of bad movies. Manos, of course, is the apex of the glorious bad movie mountain. I'll admit though that I've never subjected myself to the non-MST3K'd version.

The production is an interesting story. Entertainment Weekly wrote it up in 2005:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1068572,00.html

The avatar is from the cover of "Tom Swift and His Atomic Earth Blaster". I loved the "Tom Swift Jr." books when I was a kid.

I should probably check out the original Tom Swift books. I believe many or all of them are public domain.