Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I would do either the Kindle DX (not the smaller Kindle wif fi 6inch) or the iPad and if I had to choose, I would choose the iPad for your purposes
i totally agree with you. but i'm not spending more than 150 this..

would anyone mind taking a photo of either a nook or a kindle showing a pdf?
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Well the new Kindle 3 isn't officially out there so you can just look at Kindle DXG pics of PDFs which uses the same Pearl E-Ink screen like the Kindle 3. Just don't forget the display size differences between both devices.
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

i really hope it's as nice! :P
Old 08-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
My pdfs seem to look just fine. Sometimes I convert them to epub anyway since I like to use calibre to organize my tags (only works if you root the Nook).

I will try to get a decent picture if I can.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #20
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
My pdfs seem to look just fine. Sometimes I convert them to epub anyway since I like to use calibre to organize my tags (only works if you root the Nook).

I will try to get a decent picture if I can.
okay. thanks.. would really appreciate it. because i'm really having a headache which reader to buy.
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Ok, so I never really tried to look at the difference between the same file in pdf and epub. I did that and took pictures. Sorry my pictures suck, I wasn't sure what setting to put the camera on. A video would probably be better thinking on it now.

pdf (no converting):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010245.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010252.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010257.jpg

epub (I converted with calibre)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010258.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010259.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010260.jpg

You will notice the epub has a lot of spaces where there aren't supposed to be. The pdf though on small font doesn't take up enough of the page (I don't like big font), so you would probably need to have it on medium or large to fill the page. The pdf actually looks better.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #22
Care
Aes Sedai

Also, that pdf was from a friend. I mostly buy epub, so I don't have any pdfs that weren't loaned or free. So some of the weirdness can be because who knows how she got it, you know what I mean?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #23
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Also, that pdf was from a friend. I mostly buy epub, so I don't have any pdfs that weren't loaned or free. So some of the weirdness can be because who knows how she got it, you know what I mean?
the pdf looks well on the nook. really nice..

you mean you can convert the pdf to epub?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #24
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ok, so I never really tried to look at the difference between the same file in pdf and epub. I did that and took pictures. Sorry my pictures suck, I wasn't sure what setting to put the camera on. A video would probably be better thinking on it now.

pdf (no converting):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010245.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010252.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010257.jpg

epub (I converted with calibre)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010258.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010259.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/P1010260.jpg

You will notice the epub has a lot of spaces where there aren't supposed to be. The pdf though on small font doesn't take up enough of the page (I don't like big font), so you would probably need to have it on medium or large to fill the page. The pdf actually looks better.
thanks for the photo.. truly appreciate it. yeah.. so enlarging the font on the nook will make the pdf fill the whole screen? i mean, i wouldn't mind the font small, as long as it's comfortable to my eyes.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #25
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

so with the nook i will be able to convert my pdf, or put the pdf into the nook right?

wonder how it the pdf will look like on the kindle 3. can some nook users give me some reason to put the kindle aside and get the nook?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #26
Care
Aes Sedai

The pdf can be transfered directly to your Nook. You can either drag and drop it into my documents folder or load it via a program like ADE or Calibre.

And yes, if you make the font bigger it will take up the whole screen and be easier to read. I personally like small font, so that is why it was like that. I had two files because when I load my ebooks into Calibre to edit the meta tags, it automatically converts it to epub. So I added the original pdf to see the difference. I actually think the pfd looks nicer.

The Kindle 3 might look a bit better with the pdf, I am not sure. Like others mentioned, you really need a pad (or maybe netbook?) to really see the pdf the way it was intended.

I think between the two it depends on your preferences. Do you prefer a physical keyboard or a touch screen? Is battery life important to you? Do you want/need a sd slot? Is size and weight important to you? Some people really don't like the touch screen, and some like me don't know what they'd do without it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
The pdf can be transfered directly to your Nook. You can either drag and drop it into my documents folder or load it via a program like ADE or Calibre.

And yes, if you make the font bigger it will take up the whole screen and be easier to read. I personally like small font, so that is why it was like that. I had two files because when I load my ebooks into Calibre to edit the meta tags, it automatically converts it to epub. So I added the original pdf to see the difference. I actually think the pfd looks nicer.

The Kindle 3 might look a bit better with the pdf, I am not sure. Like others mentioned, you really need a pad (or maybe netbook?) to really see the pdf the way it was intended.

I think between the two it depends on your preferences. Do you prefer a physical keyboard or a touch screen? Is battery life important to you? Do you want/need a sd slot? Is size and weight important to you? Some people really don't like the touch screen, and some like me don't know what they'd do without it.
i really love the calibre thing. i downloaded it and is now playing with it.

i understand pdf can be better viewed on a netbook or the pad, but the price is nothing compare to the readers. and also most of my pdf are text. so a reader will be enough. anyway, will the 3G be able to work outside US?

keyboard or touch screen doesnt really matter. but the screen saver for nook really attracts me! LOL. battery life for few days is enough for me. so both qualifies. sd slot and weight/size, no preference.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #28
Care
Aes Sedai

The 3G doesn't work outside the US for the Nook. I am not sure about the Kindle, I think it will in the UK (not sure about this, maybe a Kindle user can say). The wifi is fine for me. I have tons of books to choose from, and if I want to buy a new one via B&N (you might need to hide your ip and use a US address in your B&N account), I am usually home so I just connect to my home network. There are threads in both the Nook and Kindle sections for international users. Maybe you can go through those to help make your decision.

Personally, I love the cover flow on the Nook. I can fly through it fast to get to a book I want. I like that I can use my own wallpapers and screensavers too. But if you want your pdf covers to show up on in the cover flow, you need to root it (which is basically just installing the nookdevs software). You can then use calibre to tag and sort your books.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #29
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

oh.. then it's okay. think i will stick with the wifi one. guess the 3g one will cost some money on top every month or something. so drop the 3g. i love the nook, but i prefer a black device. haha!

oh.. it's okay. think i will not trouble myself by reading about that now. haha! i have enough thinking to do now deciding which device to suit my book and which one i like more! lol