Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
[Kobo] Remove page number from right-hand margin + justification

Hey all,
I've been playing around with Calibre and the Kobo and have done some conversions.
I was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of the 'actual' page number that appear in the right hand margin, as it obscures text.
I'm also wondering how anyone went about fully justifying the text for the Kobo.
I set the conversion to justify and set the margins to 0.0pt... but there still seems to be a lot of unused real estate on the Kobo screen

digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of the 'actual' page number that appear in the right hand margin, as it obscures text.
I suspect the only way to remove that page number is to buy a ereader that doesn't put the page number in the right-hand margin. Just so you understand all of the current Sony ereaders with the exception of the PRS-900 have the page number in the right hand margin. The ADE epub renderer used in these devices tracks pages that way. Since I use a large font I didn't even notice it until I looked after reading someone complain about it.

Quote:
I'm also wondering how anyone went about fully justifying the text for the Kobo. I set the conversion to justify and set the margins to 0.0pt... but there still seems to be a lot of unused real estate on the Kobo screen
Since all of the pictures on the Kobo site show books with left justification, I'm going to guess this is another limit of the epub renderer. Again most all of Sony readers don't have the option of full justification for epubs. My 505 will do full justification for LRF files but not for epub files. My Jetbook lite though has a setting in the preferences to choose full or left justification.

Personally on a 6 inch reader I think books flow better when left justified, especially when using large fonts.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hey all,
I've been playing around with Calibre and the Kobo and have done some conversions.
I'm also wondering how anyone went about fully justifying the text for the Kobo.
I set the conversion to justify and set the margins to 0.0pt... but there still seems to be a lot of unused real estate on the Kobo screen

The reader software supplies the numbers.
What I do to work around this and make use of most of the screen is:

set the base font to somewhere between 17 and 20

set the left margin: 2pt (I left a tiny border that hopefully is not under the edge of the bezel)

Right margin: 16pt

When you zoom the reader to 2 or 3, the numbers remain tiny ( base,zoom 1)

When the number get to 3 digits, they start to encroach a tiny bit into the edge of the text. You can live with that or increase the right margin another few pts
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

thanks theducks... but does this apply to the kobo?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
thanks theducks... but does this apply to the kobo?
It does, the MR Matrix says the Kobo use's Adobe's (ADEPT) viewer.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
digital_steve
Muppet

Cheers mate
I'll try this when i get home