Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any alternatives to DR1000S?

Hi,
I've been using my DR1000S for about two years now, and I'm curious about the devices which are out there.
I don't want to turn this into a long and unnecessary discussion, so let me just say that I have waited too long for this device to deliver its potential, and I've lost my hope.
However, it is still the only device that I know of that offers the large screen, stylus and annotation, and of course e-ink.
I'd still try to stay with e-ink rather than using a device like an i-pad, but I simply can't see a single device out there, which I can buy today, which can deliver the advantages of dr1000s I've given above.
Any devices that you can recommend? It appears there is still no alternative to this device.

Best Regards
Seref Arikan
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
splendor
Enthusiast
splendor began at the beginning.

Device: irex
same here, i have also been looking for a better alternative to replace my dr1000
splendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
I think it would help if you'd let us know what "potential" you're missing the most.

Personally, I'm not aware of any device that beats my DR1000S, as imperfect as it may be. Features I am missing most:
  • quick start up (not neccessarily fast boot, wake up from suspend-to-flash would do just as well),
  • reliable battery life - i.e. don't fully drain the battery at unexpected moments making the device unavailable,
  • sufficient battery life for business note taking - note taking just drains the battery to fast for reliable use during meetings and while attending trainings / presentations. This requires much optimization or a bigger battery,
  • less fragile and therefore less heavy during use - the wheight of just the unit is ok, but with the much needed protective cover, it's a bit much for comfort. With a plastic based screen (instead of glass based) this would be a thing of the past.
However, to obtain the above, I would not want to swap for anything smaller (both fysical screen size and resolution) or non e-ink.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
sarikan
Zealot

I agree with all of your points, and here are mine

- the location of buttons is certainly a problem, everyone who has taken the device in their hands accidentally presses the buttons, since they are put at the exact location where you naturally put your hands on when you hold the device. locking is not a solution, since I want to turn pages efficiently.

- the software is not even coming close to what it can be. I want things like custom bookmarks, so that I can have different views of a document, in fact, what I want is tags for pages, with ability to search for them and provide tag based summaries, even export tag filtered pdfs etc..

All of your points are valid, and anyone who uses this device seriously would write them down as his/her complaints.

Anyway, I guess we are stuck with it for quite some time, maybe forever, since non e-ink devices like ipad will be storming the market, though not with the screen size that would make me happy.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendor View Post
same here, i have also been looking for a better alternative to replace my dr1000
AFAIK there are only two non-irex devices with screens larger than 7". Namely, Kindle DX and Brother SV-100B
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
sarikan
Zealot

Brother sv is not on the market I guess, I can live with a smaller screen if I have to, but annotation is a must for me. Does kindle dx support that? and can I load my own pdfs to dx? I remember hearing something about this is not being possible.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
dlovely
Enthusiast
dlovely began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
would the new DX render pdf's as well? I tried it when they announced the first DX and pdf rendering for technical documents was poor. I also hated the clicking noise on the page buttons compared to the quiet DR1000. I know they changed the pdf software so I was considering getting one myself.
dlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Ride
Ride began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Notion Ink - Adam

Wait just a few more months for the Notion Ink Adam.

[http://www.notionink.in/]

[http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...enes-0997060/]

Ride
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
personally , very skeptical about Adam , even it does surface eventually, the pixelQi is not same as eink in terms of long time reading.
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
personally , very skeptical about Adam , even it does surface eventually
That's the key. I've lost count of the number of devices that were supposed to come out "soon" which never appeared. I'll believe it when I can actually go order one (and it shows up on my doorstep).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Even if it does surface -- you will be on your own for service, etc. And paying quite a high price to buy from a no-name upstart company.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #12
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Would the next version of DR1000S come out sometime as DR800 series did? Before, I wanted to buy DR1000S not DR800SG because the wide screen size of DR1000S is so fascinating for me but its sale was already stopped. And no another device with this wide touchscreen has appeared yet. Or anything else will soon?
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
for all nay-sayers, http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...cenes-0997060/ slashgear promised a review and handson. it's a very revealing story, proving Notion Ink is not just some noname indian brand, but some potentially big names could be behind it.
anyway , as i said before, bear in mind pixelQi tech is still TFT and might not be as easy as eink on eyes.
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
for all nay-sayers, http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...cenes-0997060/ slashgear promised a review and handson. it's a very revealing story, proving Notion Ink is not just some noname indian brand, but some potentially big names could be behind it.
anyway , as i said before, bear in mind pixelQi tech is still TFT and might not be as easy as eink on eyes.
I hope they are successful, don't get me wrong. But I've seen lots of articles like that about companies/devices that never got past the prototype/PR phase. Many of them sound great in the press releases and pre-reviews, but then they disappear and you never hear from them again.

In the tech world, if you can't go buy/order one, then it's not "real". When I hear them talking about going after investors recently, that tells me they're still probably a ways off from delivering a final product.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's the key. I've lost count of the number of devices that were supposed to come out "soon" which never appeared. I'll believe it when I can actually go order one (and it shows up on my doorstep).
*cough*Plastic Logic*cough*

Whatever ELSE you might want to say about iRex and the DR, remember this one point - They got not 1 but THREE devices out on the market.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote