Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They knew this was coming. So offering 100% rebate on titles from these 5 publishers with a release date after April 1 was totally wrong.
I disagree. A refund is totally appropriate. Jon, the glass is never half full for you is it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #62
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
I hope they go back to normal. I was waiting for Lilith Saintcrow new books. Also Kim Harrison, as the new Rachel book is due any day now, in ebook format.

What else is missing ?

At least they did not take them away from our library. Best back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
I got the same e-mail that Geertm got! It made me mad. This AM, I checked back and there are NO Kim Harrison books returned from a search. Another favorite author, Lili Saintcrow used to have 16 books listed and now only the multiformat books are listed. I stocked up on Micropay $ in December and in Feb. stocked up. Good thing I did!
Wow !! "Black Magic Sanctions" is 20$ (audio only, can't see the ebook) at BoB and 13$ at Barnes & Nobles. Don't remember how much it was at FW.

Last edited by brudigia; 04-03-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: New findings
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #63
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
I hope they go back to normal. I was waiting for Lilith Saintcrow new books. Also Kim Harrison, as the new Rachel book is due any day now, in ebook format.
Do you have access to the version at the Apple Store for the iphone? It has an unencrypted ePub (sort of) and audio version of book as an App. Just download it, find the file, rename it to B.M. Sanction 1.0.1.tar.gz and use your favorite zip program to extract it. Then browse to Payload\BlackMagicSanction.app\book\epub\, zip it, rename to epub (you may want to remove the audio files if you don't want to crash your ereader).

The books was great, and the audio book was OK as well.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #64
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I got the letter too. They didn't actually "refund" anything, because the Kim Harrison book was on 100% Micropay rebate when I bought it. Unfortunately I then went out and bought other books on Micropay, figuring that, counting the Harrison book, this would give me a reasonable per-book price. Now I have one less book, which boils down to having overpaid for the others due to a mistaken belief that Fictionwise would keep its word.

I suppose it could be worse... one more book should use up my remaining micropay, after which I'll shop elsewhere.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #65
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look.
I look forward to reading it, I really do like Rachel Morgan's books.

I'm sad, though, for FW, this will only cause them to lose customers. Trust is fundamental in this business, and this time people will look elsewhere before they look back to FW. I've been shopping with them for almost 9 years, I've been very happy until now.
Let's hope for the best, and soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
Do you have access to the version at the Apple Store for the iphone? It has an unencrypted ePub (sort of) and audio version of book as an App. Just download it, find the file, rename it to B.M. Sanction 1.0.1.tar.gz and use your favorite zip program to extract it. Then browse to Payload\BlackMagicSanction.app\book\epub\, zip it, rename to epub (you may want to remove the audio files if you don't want to crash your ereader).

Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #66
brudigia
Evangelist

Thanks for the tip, I'll have alook.

I'm sad, though, for FW, this will only cause them to lose customers. Trust is fundamental in this business, and this time people will look elsewhere before they look back to FW. I've been shopping with them for almost 9 years, I've been very happy until now.
Let's hope for the best, and soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post

Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I disagree. A refund is totally appropriate. Jon, the glass is never half full for you is it?

BOb
If you go for a refund now and get it, then find out things are ok, you'll never get your club membership back. I say wait a bit and see what happens before rushing in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #68
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It will only be bait-and-switch if the book gets re-listed. It's beginning to look as though Fictionwise aren't going to be getting these publishers back (see earlier in this thread) in which case they have simply, correctly, refunded your money.

Graham
But the publishers *will* be re-listing, at a higher price, of course, through other retailers that have been whipped into submission. Thus, it is still bait-and-switch on the part of the publishers. Sorry, but this needs to be - forcefully - explained to these self-same publishers by long, very long, prison sentences for upper management. Three or four decades would be about right.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But those same publishers will be showing some prices that have gone down. So they'll be able to easily get away with this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #70
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Fictionwise never returned my numerous emails to them about my content they were selling in violation of contract. It took about 9 months to get my product pulled and they still owe me a decent chunk of money. They went in the toilet when Barnes & Noble bought them.

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #71
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Given the fact that FW is now selling identical titles such as the Grisham novels at twice the price of BN, I fear that BN is using the Agency Pricing model as the opportunity to destroy FW.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #72
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It's no great loss at this point. Things started to go downhill when B&N bought them out, and the agency pricing is just the final straw. They used to be my favourite store and now I shop mostly at Kobo.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #73
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
My Random House books are back in my wish list

After doing a disappearing act last week, my wish list now has all the Gregory Macdonald Fletch and Flynn books from Random House, and at the same price as before $12 less 35% rebate (I am not a Buywise club member). So I am happy.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #74
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Ngrant,

Compare the price on FW with the price on BN. For those titles on both sites the FW are all more expensive than BN. Why would you pay more?
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #75
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Fictionwise is also more expensive than Kobo. But Kindle is cheaper than both, and Sony seems to be matching the Kindle prices. So clearly, it is not 'everyone uses the same price' as they said it would be.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote